voip+landline handsets

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by TC, Jan 24, 2008.

  1. TC

    TC Guest

    Is this the right group to post this question ? If not perhaps you could
    point me in the right direction

    I am looking for a reasonably priced and reliable pair of cordless handsets
    with the following capabilities

    1. Interchangable landline/ skype use (skype use only necessary when PC is
    turned on)
    2. handfree speaker on handsets
    3. answerphone on one of the unit bases
    4. good build quality

    Any ideas for units which meet these criteria ?

    Second question

    Some units are sold as voip comparible and some skype compatible. What is
    the difference ?

    Thanks

    TC, Jan 24, 2008

  2. In article <>, TC <> wrote:
    >Is this the right group to post this question ? If not perhaps you could
    >point me in the right direction
    >
    >I am looking for a reasonably priced and reliable pair of cordless handsets
    >with the following capabilities
    >
    >1. Interchangable landline/ skype use (skype use only necessary when PC is
    >turned on)
    >2. handfree speaker on handsets
    >3. answerphone on one of the unit bases
    >4. good build quality
    >
    >Any ideas for units which meet these criteria ?
    >
    >Second question
    >
    >Some units are sold as voip comparible and some skype compatible. What is
    >the difference ?

    Skype is a proprietary VoIP system. You can generally only talk to other
    Skype subscribers, although there are facilities to bridge Skype and PSTN
    calls. (And even some people who can bridge Skype and SIP calls, but
    this is a very small minority)

    When people talk about VoIP, they usually mean Open-Standards VoIP systems
    using protocolls such as SIP, IAX, etc., and because the standards are
    published and open, there are many manufacturers of devices (and software)
    which all talk together.

    However Skype is a VoIP service, even though there are those who dispute
    this and get all huffy over it.

    If a unit is a USB device, then it's just a sound-card as far as the PC
    is concerned (and a keypad). It will come with it's own version of
    Skype to make the keypad work rather than pointing the mouse at
    'buttons' on the screen. Most Skype devices will work with non-skype
    software but you may lose the keypad functionality.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Jan 24, 2008

  3. TC

    Martin² Guest

    >Some units are sold as voip comparible and some skype compatible. What is
    >the difference ?

    To add to Gordon's explanation, Skype is software P2P application meaning
    that it can (unless you prevent it) use your computer and bandwidth to route
    other peoples calls.
    It normally requires a computer to use it, however lately some 'standalone'
    phones became available (at a price).

    SIP / IAX based VoIP can use normal analogue and DECT phones and once you
    have ATA and/or VoIP router, you don't even have to have computer.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jan 25, 2008
  4. TC

    TC Guest

    Thanks both.

    I generally use skype to landline (for overseas calls only). Presumably
    therefore any handset with standard voip compatibility would work for that.
    (do landline/voip units just have a usb connection and a standard phone
    connection ?)

    Any particularly recommended units which meet the stated criteria ?

    Re the skype use of bandwidth, I am guessing that this is only the case if
    you are loggerd on - they can't use bandwidth just because you are a
    registered user can they ?

    TC

    TC, Jan 25, 2008
  5. TC

    Paul Hayes Guest

    TC wrote:
    Presumably
    > therefore any handset with standard voip compatibility would work for that.

    No because Skype isn't standard VoIP. You can only use Skype-specific
    handsets with the Skype service. I believe Philips make some but I'm
    not sure on where to buy, how much they cost or if they are any good.

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul Hayes, Jan 25, 2008
  6. TC

    Martin² Guest

    TC:
    >do landline/voip units just have a usb connection and a standard phone
    >connection

    Hardware SIP / IAX VoIP:
    either: digital VoIP phones which plug directly to ethernet port of a router
    (expensive),
    or std. phone plugged to ethernet port via ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter)
    or std. phone (incl. DECT) plugged to RJ11 (i.e. US phone socket) port(s) on
    VoIP enabled router via BT / RJ11 adapter usually supplied with router.

    Finally you can have special WiFI VOIP handset, some fancy mobile phones can
    do that too.

    Software:
    either headset plugged to ear and mic sockets of soundcard / laptop
    or headset plugged to USB port,
    or 'telephone' handset wired to USB port.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jan 26, 2008
  7. TC

    TC Guest

    Now I get it

    Thanks
    --
    TC

    TC, Jan 28, 2008
  8. TC

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Costas Kariolis" <> wrote in
    message
    : : If you are looking for a Voip provider to make cheap
    : : calls then get in
    : : touch with us at Vonage.

    You've already tried this one elsewhere. Go away, spam is not wanted here
    (I believe Ron Chew likes it though, send it to him direct please).

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 30, 2008