    have an internet connection?

    Will the internet become a single point of failure for all info services?

    What is the "SME market?"

    Rick Merrill, May 6, 2005

  2. Rick Merrill

    David Floyd Guest

    David Floyd, May 6, 2005

  3. Rick Merrill

    Dmitri Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:

    > Is this inevitable, good, bad?

    There should be no emotional content attached to any new technology. It's
    how you use it that makes it good or bad. Inevitable? Something like what
    we call VoIP today is inevitable, but the actual implementation may change
    drastically in the future. Like a fusion of cell and VoIP phone or even
    something that's not on the radar yet.

    > At some point will Voip have to be
    > regulated to provide subsidy for POTS to remote/poor homes that do not
    > have an internet connection?

    This is a very good point, and I think that this is where we (and
    regulators) are heading. To the best of my knowledge it's not in the
    immediate future though.

    > Will the internet become a single point of failure for all info
    > services?

    Yes, but survivability was the underlying principal that Internet was
    built on, so I don't see it as a disadvantage.

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forum

    Dmitri, May 6, 2005
  4. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com) wrote:

    >>Will the internet become a single point of failure for all info
    >>services?

    > Yes, but survivability was the underlying principal that Internet was
    > built on, so I don't see it as a disadvantage.

    Yes, but the principle of internet survivablility was not built with DOS
    attacks in mind. Have we heard yet of DOS attacks on phone service?

    Rick Merrill, May 6, 2005
  5. Rick Merrill

    mongo Guest

    On Fri, 06 May 2005 09:40:49 -0400, Rick Merrill wrote:

    > Article:
    > http://www.eet.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=162600155
    >
    > Is this inevitable, good, bad?

    New technology itself isn't good or bad. It's down to how it is used.

    Disruptive technology is nothing new. IP is reducing traditional telephony
    to a subservice, while adding many new services for the end-user. Just
    like digital-camera's are putting the old photo-developers out of
    business, or refridgerators doing the same for ice-distributors to use an
    older example.

    > At some point will Voip have to be
    > regulated to provide subsidy for POTS to remote/poor homes that do not
    > have an internet connection?

    Exactly what happens in the transition-phase is too early to tell.
    POTS-services are likely to exist alongside IP-networks for a long time.
    VoIP-gateways may even be installed in local-exchanges at some point to
    cater for POTS-users who refuse to get an internet-connection.

    > Will the internet become a single point of failure for all info services?

    Possibly, but no more than your single POTS-line is today. You may even
    get redundancy by connecting to multiple suppliers. Telco;s and cable-co;s
    even have separate infrastructures in many places.

    mongo, May 7, 2005
  6. Rick Merrill

    Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:

    > Will the internet become a single point of failure for
    > all info services?

    Not if we don't make it that way. The original design of the Internet
    was to be a type of network that could survive a nuclear war. That's
    why ARPA and the DOD funded its development.

    The DNS servers and other critical infrastructure needs to be separated
    carefully, and I think this is being done now. The basic root servers
    of the Internet are, if I'm not mistaken, located on all 6 regularly
    populated continents. (Antartica has less than 1,000 people living
    there, it's not a serious location and it's probably not a good place
    to put servers you might have to go out and do maintenance on. :) )

    I understand that during the Gulf War back in 1990, despite saturation
    bombing, the coalition forces were unable to shut down Iraq's
    communications networks used for command and control of war operations.
    They used TCP/IP, the networking protocol of the Internet, and thus we
    found out that the system really would survive even military
    bombardment.

    I think if the network is still in place, IP telephony will work.

    Paul Robinson
    Paul (at) robinson-telephone.com

    , May 9, 2005
  7. Rick Merrill

    Guest

    On Fri, 06 May 2005 14:16:34 -0400, Rick Merrill
    <> wrote:

    >Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Will the internet become a single point of failure for all info
    >>>services?

    >> Yes, but survivability was the underlying principal that Internet was
    >> built on, so I don't see it as a disadvantage.

    >Yes, but the principle of internet survivablility was not built with DOS
    >attacks in mind. Have we heard yet of DOS attacks on phone service?

    Crank telephone calls.

    Hal

    , May 9, 2005
  8. Rick Merrill

    Marc H.Popek Guest

    These CLT units are back on ebay! New shippment has arrived!
    They move fast.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5776785443&rd=1&sspagenam
    e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5776926365&rd=1&sspagenam
    e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

    Marc H.Popek, May 23, 2005
  9. Rick Merrill

    Marc Popek Guest

    no need to kill pstn. pstn and voip can co exist on the same handset tpp!

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5786887222&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

    Marc Popek, Jul 4, 2005