    Reasion I'm asking is, if it is true and my mate on the other side of the
    world also had VoIP would I be able to call him free since I would not be
    using PSTN?
    Marty Fae Fife, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Yes

    Some hardware can do this, like Grandstream BudgeTone. Others might not
    have a way of entering IP addresses.
    The free X-Lite software phone from www.xten.com can also do direct IP.

    --
    Christen Fihl
    http://HSPascal.Fihl.net/
    Christen Fihl, Jul 12, 2004

  3. "Marty Fae Fife" <> writes:
    > I have been using VoIP for a number of months and I'm very happy with it. I
    > have heard that you can also use your VoIP to dial other VoIP users using
    > the IP address, is this true ?

    On some phones like the Grandstream Budgetone you can pick up the
    phone, hit "menu", and dial the 0-padded 12-digit IP address of the
    other phone followed by "send" and the other phone will ring. Both
    phones will obviously need to have real IP addresses.

    If the phones are behind NAT boxes, you can still make free, direct
    calls. You just need to use a sip server someplace to help you make
    the initial contact. Something like Free World Dial
    http://www.freeworlddialup.com/ will do.

    What I find interesting is that some large companies and organizations
    are starting to publish their SIP contact details in dns. To dial an
    extension at MIT I could go directly across the net without using any
    middleman.

    $ dig +noall +answer _sip._udp.mit.edu SRV
    _sip._udp.mit.edu. 21600 IN SRV 0 1 5060 SIPXCHANGE.MIT.EDU.

    -wolfgang
    New toy: Voice over ip phone. Sounds much better than an analog phone.
    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/voip.html
    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Jul 12, 2004
  4. hmm, I must admit this is a bit over my head, I'm using a FDX-840 and a
    normal hand set analogue phone connected to his, I thought or was thinking
    maybe picking up the handset and punching in a IP rather than a phone
    number...

    "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Marty Fae Fife, Jul 14, 2004
  5. Marty Fae Fife

    Ruth Guest

    "Marty Fae Fife" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been using VoIP for a number of months and I'm very happy with it.

    > have heard that you can also use your VoIP to dial other VoIP users using
    > the IP address, is this true ?
    >
    > Reasion I'm asking is, if it is true and my mate on the other side of the
    > world also had VoIP would I be able to call him free since I would not be
    > using PSTN?

    It is the biggest reason for using it isn't it?
    RuthWest
    Ruth, Aug 7, 2004