    Can anyone comment on the current legal and/or technological
    situation for the use of voip in India?
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 19, 2007

  2. Brian A

    Brian Guest

    On 2007-03-19, Brian A <> wrote:

    > A friend wants to use SIP VOIP in India.

    SIP-to-SIP? SIP-to-PSTN? PSTN-to-SIP?

    > I have read, on the Net,. that there are legal and technological
    > restrictions placed on the use of voip.
    > Some of articles I read were 'dated' and things may have changed.

    There is an evolving situation but the difficulty legally appears to be
    centred on interconnection with the PSTN.

    > Can anyone comment on the current legal and/or technological
    > situation for the use of voip in India?

    www.trai.gov.in should give definitive information. Informed comment can
    be found at in.indiatimes.com and www.hinduonnet.com. I know this
    doesn't quite answer your question but it should give you some insight
    and perspective on the current situation.

    Brian.
    Brian, Mar 19, 2007

  3. Brian A

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:44:15 +0000 (UTC), Brian wrote:

    >On 2007-03-19, Brian A <> wrote:
    >
    >> A friend wants to use SIP VOIP in India.

    >SIP-to-SIP? SIP-to-PSTN? PSTN-to-SIP?
    >
    >> I have read, on the Net,. that there are legal and technological
    >> restrictions placed on the use of voip.
    >> Some of articles I read were 'dated' and things may have changed.

    >There is an evolving situation but the difficulty legally appears to be
    >centred on interconnection with the PSTN.

    Would that be the Indian PSTN or any outside one? ie if it went VOIP to say the
    UK and then to BT. Or is it all VOIP to PSTN wherever?

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Mar 19, 2007
  4. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:16:08 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Saville"
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:44:15 +0000 (UTC), Brian wrote:
    >
    >>On 2007-03-19, Brian A <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> A friend wants to use SIP VOIP in India.

    Thanks gentlemen for your comments...

    >>SIP-to-SIP? SIP-to-PSTN? PSTN-to-SIP?
    >>
    >>> I have read, on the Net,. that there are legal and technological
    >>> restrictions placed on the use of voip.
    >>> Some of articles I read were 'dated' and things may have changed.

    >>There is an evolving situation but the difficulty legally appears to be
    >>centred on interconnection with the PSTN.

    >Would that be the Indian PSTN or any outside one? ie if it went VOIP to say the
    >UK and then to BT. Or is it all VOIP to PSTN wherever?

    I am trying to get a fuller picture of what is allowed and what is
    not. The last I read was voip to India PSTN was banned but does that
    apply still and what about voip to UK PSTN. It is a ridiculous
    situation anyway but it is best to know the regulations.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 19, 2007
  5. Brian A

    Brian Guest

    On 2007-03-19, Dave Saville <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:44:15 +0000 (UTC), Brian wrote:
    >
    >>There is an evolving situation but the difficulty legally appears to be
    >>centred on interconnection with the PSTN.

    > Would that be the Indian PSTN or any outside one? ie if it went VOIP to say the
    > UK and then to BT. Or is it all VOIP to PSTN wherever?

    Both, I think. It would appear an ISP needs a license to offer a service
    which carries voice signals from PC to PC and from PC to phone. The
    following URL is a very recent one and may give some idea of the impact
    of VoIP in India. It's rather long, so I've split it acrross two lines.

    http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_News/News/ITeS/
    BPOs_face_flak_for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms

    Brian.
    Brian, Mar 19, 2007
  6. Brian A

    Brian Guest

    On 2007-03-19, Brian A <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:16:08 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Saville"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Would that be the Indian PSTN or any outside one? ie if it went VOIP to say the
    >>UK and then to BT. Or is it all VOIP to PSTN wherever?

    > I am trying to get a fuller picture of what is allowed and what is
    > not. The last I read was voip to India PSTN was banned but does that
    > apply still and what about voip to UK PSTN. It is a ridiculous
    > situation anyway but it is best to know the regulations.

    A VoIP call terminating on a telephone in India is not classed as an
    internet telephony service. So it is not banned. Or am I interpreting

    http://www.dotindia.com/isp/guidelines.doc

    incorrectly?

    A VoIP call to a UK telephone is also not banned but does come within
    the scope of the internet telephony regulations.

    Brian.
    Brian, Mar 19, 2007
  7. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:33:48 +0000 (UTC), Brian <>
    wrote:

    >On 2007-03-19, Dave Saville <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:44:15 +0000 (UTC), Brian wrote:
    >>
    >>>There is an evolving situation but the difficulty legally appears to be
    >>>centred on interconnection with the PSTN.

    >> Would that be the Indian PSTN or any outside one? ie if it went VOIP to say the
    >> UK and then to BT. Or is it all VOIP to PSTN wherever?

    >Both, I think. It would appear an ISP needs a license to offer a service
    >which carries voice signals from PC to PC and from PC to phone. The
    >following URL is a very recent one and may give some idea of the impact
    >of VoIP in India. It's rather long, so I've split it acrross two lines.
    >
    >http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_News/News/ITeS/
    >BPOs_face_flak_for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms
    >
    >Brian.

    Thanks for the info Brian. Plenty for me to read and consider.

    As a tip for you. If you have a long URL then you can use the services
    of
    www.tinyurl.com
    Paste in your long url and you'll be issued with a short one that will
    access the same site. Very useful for posting on newsgroups and
    sending emails. Some people don't have a clue on how to put two bits
    of URL together, especially if something gets lost or has query
    strings in it etc.
    If you use Firefox as you browser there is an extension available (go
    to tools/add ons/get more extensions) for tiny url that builds the
    facility into your browser.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 20, 2007
  8. Brian A

    Brian Guest

    On 2007-03-20, Brian A <> wrote:

    > Thanks for the info Brian. Plenty for me to read and consider.

    I'm sure you would have found it for yourself but it can help to have
    something definite to start an exploration. It's an interesting topic.

    > As a tip for you. If you have a long URL then you can use the services
    > of www.tinyurl.com
    > Paste in your long url and you'll be issued with a short one that will
    > access the same site. Very useful for posting on newsgroups and
    > sending emails. Some people don't have a clue on how to put two bits
    > of URL together, especially if something gets lost or has query
    > strings in it etc.
    > If you use Firefox as you browser there is an extension available (go
    > to tools/add ons/get more extensions) for tiny url that builds the
    > facility into your browser.

    I've considered using tinyurl. Splitting a long URL across a number of
    lines is not very elegant and may be challenging to piece back together,
    but basically I like people to see where they are going. I'll rethink it
    and may go for some indication of the destination plus tinyurl.

    Brian.
    Brian, Mar 20, 2007
  9. Brian A

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > I've considered using tinyurl. Splitting a long URL
    > across a number of lines is not very elegant and may be
    > challenging to piece back together, but basically I like
    > people to see where they are going. I'll rethink it and
    > may go for some indication of the destination plus
    > tinyurl.

    Select the "preview" feature on the tinyurl site and you get that option.
    Anyone clicking on the link gets taken to an intermediate page showing the
    full link, they can then decide whether to go there or not.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Mar 20, 2007
  10. Brian A

    Jono Guest

    Brian formulated on Tuesday :
    > On 2007-03-20, Brian A <> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the info Brian. Plenty for me to read and consider.

    > I'm sure you would have found it for yourself but it can help to have
    > something definite to start an exploration. It's an interesting topic.
    >
    >> As a tip for you. If you have a long URL then you can use the services
    >> of www.tinyurl.com
    >> Paste in your long url and you'll be issued with a short one that will
    >> access the same site. Very useful for posting on newsgroups and
    >> sending emails. Some people don't have a clue on how to put two bits
    >> of URL together, especially if something gets lost or has query
    >> strings in it etc.
    >> If you use Firefox as you browser there is an extension available (go
    >> to tools/add ons/get more extensions) for tiny url that builds the
    >> facility into your browser.

    > I've considered using tinyurl. Splitting a long URL across a number of
    > lines is not very elegant and may be challenging to piece back together,
    > but basically I like people to see where they are going. I'll rethink it
    > and may go for some indication of the destination plus tinyurl.
    >
    > Brian.

    Doesn't putting the url in pointy brackets have the desired effect...?

    <http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_News/News/ITeS/BPOs_face_flak_for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms>
    Jono, Mar 20, 2007
  11. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 19:48:29 GMT, Jono <>
    wrote:

    >Brian formulated on Tuesday :
    >> On 2007-03-20, Brian A <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for the info Brian. Plenty for me to read and consider.

    >> I'm sure you would have found it for yourself but it can help to have
    >> something definite to start an exploration. It's an interesting topic.
    >>
    >>> As a tip for you. If you have a long URL then you can use the services
    >>> of www.tinyurl.com
    >>> Paste in your long url and you'll be issued with a short one that will
    >>> access the same site. Very useful for posting on newsgroups and
    >>> sending emails. Some people don't have a clue on how to put two bits
    >>> of URL together, especially if something gets lost or has query
    >>> strings in it etc.
    >>> If you use Firefox as you browser there is an extension available (go
    >>> to tools/add ons/get more extensions) for tiny url that builds the
    >>> facility into your browser.

    >> I've considered using tinyurl. Splitting a long URL across a number of
    >> lines is not very elegant and may be challenging to piece back together,
    >> but basically I like people to see where they are going. I'll rethink it
    >> and may go for some indication of the destination plus tinyurl.
    >>
    >> Brian.

    >Doesn't putting the url in pointy brackets have the desired effect...?
    >
    ><http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_News/News/ITeS/BPOs_face_flak_for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms>

    Certainly has this time, but I have often sent long links to people
    by email and they complain they can't use them.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 20, 2007
  12. Brian A

    Brian Guest

    On 2007-03-20, Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    > Select the "preview" feature on the tinyurl site and you get that option.
    > Anyone clicking on the link gets taken to an intermediate page showing the
    > full link, they can then decide whether to go there or not.

    My initial thought on that is the extra steps and effort involved in
    getting somewhere. But it is something to mull over. Thanks.

    Brian.
    Brian, Mar 21, 2007
  13. Brian A

    Brian Guest

    On 2007-03-20, Jono <> wrote:

    > Doesn't putting the url in pointy brackets have the desired effect...?
    >
    ><http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_News/News/ITeS/BPOs_face_flak_for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms>

    That technique had slipped my mind. Your reminder is welcome. It works
    for me here although my newsreader displays it as a very long line. How
    would most newsreaders cope with

    <http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_News/News/ITeS/BPOs_face_flak_
    for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms>?

    That's deliberately broken across two lines.

    Brian.
    Brian, Mar 21, 2007
  14. Brian A

    Jono Guest

    Brian submitted this idea :
    > On 2007-03-20, Jono <> wrote:
    >
    >> Doesn't putting the url in pointy brackets have the desired effect...?
    >>
    >> <http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_News/News/ITeS/BPOs_face_flak_for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms>

    The above works,

    The below doesn't.

    Jono, Mar 21, 2007