VOIP in a small business setting

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Evan, Jul 27, 2006.

  1. Evan

    Evan Guest

    Hello! I am the technology director for a small business that is just
    about to move into our first office. Right now, we do not have an
    office and so we have a 1-800 number that forwards to our personal
    phones. When we move into our office, we are looking into a VOIP
    system instead of a landline.

    Here's the situation:
    We will have a wireless router hooked up to a ADSL line. We initially
    will have 3 employees working in this office, but will need the
    capability to expand. Initially we will only have one phone line. We
    would like to have extensions and voicemail boxes for each employee, as
    well as an automated answerer. We would like to have physical phones
    to sit at the desk. We would also like to be able to use the same VOIP
    system at our homes, also on ADSL lines. I know that we could get a
    VOIP PBX, but those are very expensive and I don't know if it would fit
    into our budget.
    To sum it up:
    -Wireless router, ADSL (1.5 Mbps or greater)
    -3 employees
    -1 line
    -Need expandability
    -Extensions
    -Voicemail
    -Automated answering
    -Physical phones
    -Ability to use same VOIP system at home and while traveling to answer
    customer calls

    So basically, what we want is to use VOIP for the things listed above,
    but either avoid using a PBX or find a very inexpensive one.

    Thanks! Have a great day.

    Evan, Jul 27, 2006

  2. On 27 Jul 2006 08:45:52 -0700, "Evan" <> wrote:
    >I know that we could get a
    >VOIP PBX, but those are very expensive and I don't know if it would fit
    >into our budget.

    Axon = Free
    Brekeke = SIP server is free, PBX costs money
    Asterisk = Free
    sipXPBX = Free

    But wait for the competent people to answer :)

    Vincent Delporte, Jul 27, 2006

  3. Evan

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Evan wrote:

    > Hello! I am the technology director for a small business that is just
    > about to move into our first office. Right now, we do not have an
    > office and so we have a 1-800 number that forwards to our personal
    > phones. When we move into our office, we are looking into a VOIP
    > system instead of a landline.
    >
    > Here's the situation:
    > We will have a wireless router hooked up to a ADSL line. We initially
    > will have 3 employees working in this office, but will need the
    > capability to expand. Initially we will only have one phone line. We
    > would like to have extensions and voicemail boxes for each employee, as
    > well as an automated answerer. We would like to have physical phones
    > to sit at the desk. We would also like to be able to use the same VOIP
    > system at our homes, also on ADSL lines. I know that we could get a
    > VOIP PBX, but those are very expensive and I don't know if it would fit
    > into our budget.
    > To sum it up:
    > -Wireless router, ADSL (1.5 Mbps or greater)
    > -3 employees
    > -1 line
    > -Need expandability
    > -Extensions
    > -Voicemail
    > -Automated answering
    > -Physical phones
    > -Ability to use same VOIP system at home and while traveling to answer
    > customer calls
    >
    > So basically, what we want is to use VOIP for the things listed above,
    > but either avoid using a PBX or find a very inexpensive one.
    >
    > Thanks! Have a great day.

    A lot of people Think that 'voip' means they can just plug it into their
    LAN - danger will robinson! You must design the network so that phone
    calls have QoS support (Quality Of Service) - in other words phone calls
    take priority over other uses, such as sending large design files over
    the ethernet.

    Rick Merrill, Jul 27, 2006
  4. "Evan" <> wrote:
    >We will have a wireless router hooked up to a ADSL line.

    Your bandwidth (especially upstream) is really going to matter here.
    You'll also probably want static IP, so your home extensions can find
    it easily, and your ISP doesn't give you any trouble about running
    'servers'.

    >system at our homes, also on ADSL lines. I know that we could get a
    >VOIP PBX, but those are very expensive and I don't know if it would fit
    >into our budget.

    Trixbox (nee: Asterisk @ Home) runs just fine on a $343 Dell 'n' (No
    Windows Tax) series box. You can hang individual extensions off it
    that live at your homes.

    William P.N. Smith, Jul 27, 2006
  5. Evan

    Guest

    William P.N. Smith wrote:
    > Trixbox (nee: Asterisk @ Home) runs just fine on a $343 Dell 'n' (No
    > Windows Tax) series box. You can hang individual extensions off it
    > that live at your homes.

    It also runs great on a $50 ebay clunker :)

    , Jul 28, 2006
  6. Evan

    pcdoc Guest

    pcdoc, Jul 28, 2006