    is that correct?

    thank you in advance

    robert

    Robert, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Robert wrote:

    > this morning i spoke with the customer care of an italian ISP in order
    > to collect info about the VoIP: they said that to let me call through
    > the VoIP, i need to "buy" a new service.

    In most cases you need an additional service on top of DSL.

    > Actually, i've a DSL line (1,280 Mbps) 24h/24h: do i really need to buy
    > this added service?

    You can make direkt PC to PC calls just with this line without any
    contract or provider. But then your counterpart has to "dial" your
    IP-number and vice versa, which is not convenient.

    So you should subscribe for a IP-Phone "Service". To be reachable over
    the internet you can use such a service without cost. Look for example
    for like2fone.com. Then you can reach most of the Internet phones
    directly without additional cost. There should be lots of these services
    even in Italy. Otherwise use a german, english ... one.

    In some cases you can be reachable via an italian phone number FROM any
    normal phone. This service CAN be free (then in most cases calling
    "through" via a public phone number of your provider). But there can be
    a fee of say 2 or 3 Euro per month for that. Then you should get a
    normal "local" phone number.

    If you want to CALL fixed phone lines you have to pay for the minutes.
    (Only 800-numbers could be reached free.) So in this case you always
    need to "buy" a new service. This may have a low monthly fee in addition
    to the minutes. A minute should be between 1 and 3 cent for calling
    Italy, EU Countries and the US.

    > Some friend of my, just said that all i ned is to buy a VoIP telephone:
    > is that correct?

    Even that is not necessary. All you need is a computer,headset and a
    "softphone". A good one is SJphone. Google for it.

    But a VoIP phone (Grandstream 100, Allnet 7950 ....) is more convenient
    because it is always on. No PC needed.

    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Barth, Mar 15, 2005

  3. Robert

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Robert <> wrote in news:5RCZd.659351$b5.30049430
    @news3.tin.it:

    > this morning i spoke with the customer care of an italian ISP in order
    > to collect info about the VoIP: they said that to let me call through
    > the VoIP, i need to "buy" a new service.

    In otherwords, the ISP also offers VoIP. You can get VoIP from your
    provider or a 3rd party.

    > Actually, i've a DSL line (1,280 Mbps) 24h/24h: do i really need to buy
    > this added service?

    That's enough bandwidth for VoIP... you can use your provider's service or
    get a 3rd party service such as Vonage, Lingo, Skype, etc.

    > Some friend of my, just said that all i ned is to buy a VoIP telephone:
    > is that correct?

    Yes this method works too : )

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Mar 15, 2005
  4. Robert

    Andy Ball Guest

    R> they said that to let me call through the VoIP, i need
    > to "buy" a new service.

    LT> In otherwords, the ISP also offers VoIP.

    Perhaps they were just trying to sell him a static IP
    address though.

    Robert: how did they describe the new service that they
    wanted you to buy?

    - Andy Ball

    Andy Ball, Mar 16, 2005