VoIP implementation advise

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by dilan.weerasinghe@gmail.com, Sep 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    We wish to implement VoIP to (primarily) communicate with overseas
    offices, but at the same time reduce the phone bill for the office in
    general. Our two offices (one in UK, the other in Africa) are connected
    via a PIX-PIX VPN. More offices in Africa should be VoIP'ed up as the
    year progresses.

    We have a 1 MB leased line connecting to a Cisco 2501 router (ISP
    managed), then a Cisco PIX 506e, through to four 3COM 4288g manageable
    network switches. Number of users on London side is about 30.

    The remote side will be implementing Cisco Express.

    A couple of questions -

    i) Is it recommended we implement Cisco Express too, for compatibility
    issues, or can we use any system (e.g. Avaya).
    ii) We will outsource the implementation to external companies, but
    wish to manage the maintenance. Given that none of the of the IT
    department has
    experience in either Cisco Express or Avaya etc, what is the most
    straighforward application to learn.
    iii) One method of implementation is to insert a VoIP card into our
    existing Samsung phone switch and use QoS on our existing
    infrastructure. Another would be to leave for the existing
    infrastructure for data only and use a SIP gateway and seperate ADSL
    line for voice (which one company is advising). Any thoughts? Their
    claim is that QoS can only go so far, and a seperate ADSL
    line/dedicated hardware is what is needed.

    Would be grateful for pointers.

    Cheers

    , Sep 14, 2006