    Cheers

    --
    Rich

    Richard Moore, Feb 7, 2007

  2. Richard Moore

    Ross Beer Guest

    Richard Moore wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have setup a TrixBox (Asterisk) and was wondering how many
    > simultaneous outgoing calls are possible per SIP trunk?
    >
    > Would it be 1 outgoing call per SIP trunk, meaning that 4 simultaneous
    > calls would require 4 trunks (and maybe 4 separate VoIP accounts)?
    >
    > Or are there VoIP account packages that allow you to place more than 1
    > call at a time on a single account?
    >
    > Cheers

    Hi,

    The number of outgoing calls would depend on your provider, many only
    allow one call at a time on their service.

    Just remember to choose a service that allow multiple incoming/outgoing
    calls.

    Regards

    Ross
    -----------------------
    Ross Beer
    VoiceHost Support
    W:www.voicehost.co.uk

    Ross Beer, Feb 7, 2007

  3. Richard Moore

    Jono Guest

    Ross Beer formulated the question :
    > many only allow one call at a time on their service

    When you say many, which do you mean?

    I have many, many providers set up on my asterisk server & the only
    provider that doesn't allow more than one call at a time is BT - on my
    standard PSTN line.

    Jono, Feb 7, 2007
  4. Richard Moore

    RH Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Ross Beer formulated the question :
    >> many only allow one call at a time on their service

    > When you say many, which do you mean?
    >
    > I have many, many providers set up on my asterisk server & the only
    > provider that doesn't allow more than one call at a time is BT - on my
    > standard PSTN line.

    I know the Betamax services only allow one connection at a time, I am
    guessing this pretty common for services
    which offer unlimited calling plans based on monthly fees, where as or pay
    as you go or billed calling its in
    the interest of the provider to allow as many calls as possible

    RH, Feb 7, 2007
  5. "RH" <> wrote in message

    > "Jono" <> wrote in message
    >> Ross Beer formulated the question :
    >>> many only allow one call at a time on their service

    >> When you say many, which do you mean?
    >>
    >> I have many, many providers set up on my asterisk server & the only
    >> provider that doesn't allow more than one call at a time is BT - on my
    >> standard PSTN line.

    > I know the Betamax services only allow one connection at a time, I am
    > guessing this pretty common for services
    > which offer unlimited calling plans based on monthly fees, where as or pay
    > as you go or billed calling its in
    > the interest of the provider to allow as many calls as possible

    I've got a 'free' VoIP account from EntaCall that I've been familiarising
    myself with. When I tried to make two outgoing calls on the same SIP trunk I
    got an EntaCall recorded message saying the line was already in use.

    I think the difficulty for me is in wading through all the small print of
    the providers and trying to understand what they offer. They don't seem too
    keen to publicise how many calls can be made at once when using an Asterisk
    based system.

    --
    Rich

    Richard Moore, Feb 8, 2007
  6. Richard Moore

    Jono Guest

    RH was thinking very hard :
    > "Jono" <> wrote in message
    >> Ross Beer formulated the question :
    >>> many only allow one call at a time on their service

    >> When you say many, which do you mean?
    >>
    >> I have many, many providers set up on my asterisk server & the only
    >> provider that doesn't allow more than one call at a time is BT - on my
    >> standard PSTN line.

    > I know the Betamax services only allow one connection at a time, I am
    > guessing this pretty common for services
    > which offer unlimited calling plans based on monthly fees, where as or pay as
    > you go or billed calling its in
    > the interest of the provider to allow as many calls as possible

    That doesn't seem to apply to the Betamax products I use -
    voipcheap.com & internetcalls.com, nor voip.co.uk, Sipgate etc.

    Jono, Feb 8, 2007
  7. Richard Moore

    Paul Guest

    Richard Moore wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have setup a TrixBox (Asterisk) and was wondering how many
    > simultaneous outgoing calls are possible per SIP trunk?
    >
    > Would it be 1 outgoing call per SIP trunk, meaning that 4 simultaneous
    > calls would require 4 trunks (and maybe 4 separate VoIP accounts)?
    >
    > Or are there VoIP account packages that allow you to place more than 1
    > call at a time on a single account?
    >
    > Cheers

    In Trixbox you tell it how many calls to limit a trunk to (maximum
    channels). Most VoIP service providers allow you to place lots of
    simultaneous calls through one account, you'll have to ask your provider.

    The last (but usually most common) limiting factor is your Internet
    connection speed. Most VoIP calls (using g711a/u codecs) need roughly
    90kbps in either direction so if you have a connection with 256kbps
    upstream speed you can only realistically get 2 calls at once through
    it, especially when you consider that you're sharing it with normal
    Internet traffic.

    Paul, Feb 8, 2007
  8. Richard Moore

    Graham Guest

    >> I know the Betamax services only allow one connection at a time, I am
    >> guessing this pretty common for services
    >> which offer unlimited calling plans based on monthly fees, where as or
    >> pay as you go or billed calling its in
    >> the interest of the provider to allow as many calls as possible

    > That doesn't seem to apply to the Betamax products I use - voipcheap.com &
    > internetcalls.com, nor voip.co.uk, Sipgate etc.

    I think RH's experience must be limited to the Betamax softphone.
    I have always enjoyed multiple concurrent outgoing calls on
    voipcheap.com and multiple incoming calls on voipcheap.co.uk
    (I signed up when they were still providing geo numbers)

    The same applies with my Sipgate numbers, ie multiple
    inbound and outbound calls on the same account.
    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Feb 8, 2007
  9. Thus spaketh Graham:
    >>> I know the Betamax services only allow one connection at a time, I
    >>> am guessing this pretty common for services
    >>> which offer unlimited calling plans based on monthly fees, where as
    >>> or pay as you go or billed calling its in
    >>> the interest of the provider to allow as many calls as possible

    >> That doesn't seem to apply to the Betamax products I use -
    >> voipcheap.com & internetcalls.com, nor voip.co.uk, Sipgate etc.

    > I think RH's experience must be limited to the Betamax softphone.
    > I have always enjoyed multiple concurrent outgoing calls on
    > voipcheap.com and multiple incoming calls on voipcheap.co.uk
    > (I signed up when they were still providing geo numbers)
    >
    > The same applies with my Sipgate numbers, ie multiple
    > inbound and outbound calls on the same account.

    Same here with Sipgate and VoIPStunt (also VoIPBuster, SipDiscount and
    VoIPCheap) all which I have incoming numbers on.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 8, 2007
  10. Richard Moore

    Jon Farmer Guest

    Richard Moore wrote:

    > I've got a 'free' VoIP account from EntaCall that I've been
    > familiarising myself with. When I tried to make two outgoing calls on
    > the same SIP trunk I got an EntaCall recorded message saying the line
    > was already in use.
    >
    > I think the difficulty for me is in wading through all the small print
    > of the providers and trying to understand what they offer. They don't
    > seem too keen to publicise how many calls can be made at once when using
    > an Asterisk based system.

    Richard,

    This is because you have a prepay account. If you can get a postpay
    account you will be able to make multiple simultaneous calls.

    Regards

    Jon

    Jon Farmer, Feb 8, 2007
  11. Richard Moore

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Richard Moore wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have setup a TrixBox (Asterisk) and was wondering how many
    > simultaneous outgoing calls are possible per SIP trunk?
    >
    > Would it be 1 outgoing call per SIP trunk, meaning that 4 simultaneous
    > calls would require 4 trunks (and maybe 4 separate VoIP accounts)?
    >
    > Or are there VoIP account packages that allow you to place more than 1
    > call at a time on a single account?
    >
    > Cheers

    How much bandwidth do you have? Which codec(s) are you using?

    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Bandwidth consumption

    http://www.asteriskguru.com/tools/bandwidth_calculator.php

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 9, 2007
  12. >"Jon Farmer" <> wrote in message

    >Richard Moore wrote:
    >
    >> I've got a 'free' VoIP account from EntaCall that I've been
    >> familiarising myself with. When I tried to make two outgoing calls on
    >> the same SIP trunk I got an EntaCall recorded message saying the line
    >> was already in use.
    >>
    >> I think the difficulty for me is in wading through all the small print
    >> of the providers and trying to understand what they offer. They don't
    >> seem too keen to publicise how many calls can be made at once when using
    >> an Asterisk based system.
    >>

    >Richard,
    >
    >This is because you have a prepay account. If you can get a postpay
    >account you will be able to make multiple simultaneous calls.
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Jon

    Thanks for the info Jon! Have upgraded the Enta account and will try it out
    once it switches to postpaid :)

    ....and to clarify - will that allow multiple outbound and inbound?

    ....and one further thought, is there a limit on number of simultaneous calls
    at the provider end? Or is that a limit that has to be set at the client
    end?

    --
    Rich

    Richard Moore, Feb 11, 2007
  13. Richard Moore

    Jon Farmer Guest

    Richard Moore wrote:

    > Thanks for the info Jon! Have upgraded the Enta account and will try it
    > out once it switches to postpaid :)
    >
    > ...and to clarify - will that allow multiple outbound and inbound?
    >
    > ...and one further thought, is there a limit on number of simultaneous
    > calls at the provider end? Or is that a limit that has to be set at the
    > client end?

    There is no limit on incoming calls at our end for either post pay or
    prepaid accounts.

    On prepay you are restricted to one originated call at a time. On post
    pay you there is no restriction. Of course there is a limitation in
    terms of what the CPE can handle or your available bandwidth.

    Regards

    Jon

    Jon Farmer, Feb 11, 2007