    or not? Could be the same of a web server hosting business?

    How do you see it?

    thanks
    Voiper, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Voiper

    BlueRinse Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:25:26 +0100, Voiper wrote:

    > Have sense in the future the business of the "voip hosting" or not? Could
    > be the same of a web server hosting business?

    The problem IMO is that web hosting mostly uses very little bandwidth
    whereas voIP will use a lot of it if it is active at all. If only a few
    calls per day, no propblem.

    Web hosting used to be a good small business. Now it's mostly done by huge
    companies for $5/year.
    BlueRinse, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Hello,

    >>Have sense in the future the business of the "voip hosting" or not? Could
    >>be the same of a web server hosting business?

    > The problem IMO is that web hosting mostly uses very little bandwidth
    > whereas voIP will use a lot of it if it is active at all. If only a few
    > calls per day, no propblem.

    Not entirely true. In most cases VoIP softswitch can only take care of
    the call signaling, so the RTP stream will go directly between the
    customer's IP phone and the remote GW which belongs to your termination
    provider. So on the side of softswitch/billing the bandwidth requirements
    are minimal: if the customer from Czech Republic makes a call to
    Australia, and your softswitch is in New York - only few small UDP packets
    will travel CZ<->US and US<->AU,a nd the voice stream will go CZ<->AU.
    There are several companies which provide "hosted softswitch/billing"
    services for PortaSwitch (www.portaone.com) and I am sure there are some
    other solutions available.

    > Web hosting used to be a good small business. Now it's mostly done by huge
    > companies for $5/year.

    In general the VoIP solution hosting is more expensive:) at least right now.

    WBR, Andrew
    --
    Andrew Zhilenko
    Please remove "hide-email." from my email address when replying,
    Andrew Zhilenko, Nov 18, 2004
  4. Voiper

    BlueRinse Guest

    > Not entirely true. In most cases VoIP softswitch can only take care of
    > the call signaling, so the RTP stream will go directly between the

    Good point!
    BlueRinse, Nov 20, 2004