    with VOIP, or does it **have** to be Skype only?

    I'm ready to throw it and get something else, otherwise.

    S.
    Sonn, Jan 25, 2008

  2. Sonn

    RL Guest

    Sonn wrote:
    > I bought a Skype Logitech cordless handset a few months ago with the
    > intention of using it for VOIP. It's called a Skype phone, but as Skype
    > are merely a provider of voice over internet, I'm presuming (as was told
    > when I bought it) that it could be used for VOIP.
    >
    > The instruction manual is very basic, and while VOIP is working well on
    > my computer, the handset is not connecting.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if this supposedly dedicated handset **will** work
    > with VOIP, or does it **have** to be Skype only?
    >
    > I'm ready to throw it and get something else, otherwise.

    Most likely this works with Skype only, unless you have to run the Skype
    software at the same time, in which case it is probably only an audio
    devices and the sound at least should work with other VoIP software.

    If it doesn't require a PC, look in the manual or online to see if the
    phone supports 'SIP'. If not, chances are it isn't going to work with
    most VoIP providers, because few support other protocols, and none
    support the Skype protocol.

    I have a normal Panasonic cordless phone, connected to a Linksys PAP2
    ATA (The PAP2T replaced this model), and it works well with 2Talk,
    iTalk, and Asterisk (as a SIP client). This is possibly the cheapest way
    to go at the moment, as it was a few years ago for me, as dedicated VoIP
    phones (even desk phones) are usually more than the cost of a cordless
    phone plus ATA.

    RL
    RL, Jan 25, 2008

  3. In article <1201295526.958519@ftpsrv1>, Sonn did write:

    > I bought a Skype Logitech cordless handset a few months ago with the
    > intention of using it for VOIP. It's called a Skype phone, but as Skype
    > are merely a provider of voice over internet, I'm presuming (as was told
    > when I bought it) that it could be used for VOIP.

    Nope. Skype is a competely proprietary system. Avoid.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 25, 2008
  4. I'm using Skype with basic speakers attached to my system with a
    Microphone I bought for $6 some years ago at a Sunday morning swap
    meet in Melbourne.

    My wife uses a DS skype phone on her setup.

    I tried a Robotics Skype phone but returned it to the retailer.

    Lindsay Rollo
    Wellington, New Zealand
    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Jan 25, 2008
  5. Sonn

    Sonn Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <1201295526.958519@ftpsrv1>, Sonn did write:
    >
    >> I bought a Skype Logitech cordless handset a few months ago with the
    >> intention of using it for VOIP. It's called a Skype phone, but as Skype
    >> are merely a provider of voice over internet, I'm presuming (as was told
    >> when I bought it) that it could be used for VOIP.

    > Nope. Skype is a competely proprietary system. Avoid.

    Thanks guys. I will also avoid Dick Smith from now on, as this would be
    the umpteenth time I've relied on their technical knowledge before
    purchasing, to find later they're idiots. Silly me.

    S.
    Sonn, Jan 25, 2008
  6. Sonn

    impossible Guest

    "Sonn" <> wrote in message
    >I bought a Skype Logitech cordless handset a few months ago with the
    >intention of using it for VOIP. It's called a Skype phone, but as Skype
    >are merely a provider of voice over internet, I'm presuming (as was told
    >when I bought it) that it could be used for VOIP.
    >
    > The instruction manual is very basic, and while VOIP is working well on my
    > computer, the handset is not connecting.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if this supposedly dedicated handset **will** work with
    > VOIP, or does it **have** to be Skype only?
    >
    > I'm ready to throw it and get something else, otherwise.

    Somebody didn't read the Logitech specs:

    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/w...internet_headsets_phones/devices/233&cl=us,en

    To use that particular phone you need Windows and Skype.
    impossible, Jan 26, 2008
  7. In article <1201301498.340003@ftpsrv1>, Sonn did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <1201295526.958519@ftpsrv1>, Sonn did write:
    >>
    >>> I bought a Skype Logitech cordless handset a few months ago with the
    >>> intention of using it for VOIP. It's called a Skype phone, but as Skype
    >>> are merely a provider of voice over internet, I'm presuming (as was told
    >>> when I bought it) that it could be used for VOIP.

    >> Nope. Skype is a competely proprietary system. Avoid.
    >>

    > I will also avoid Dick Smith from now on, as this would be
    > the umpteenth time I've relied on their technical knowledge before
    > purchasing, to find later they're idiots.

    If you were misled by the salesdroid, go back and complain. If they won't
    put it right, you can try the Consumers' Institute, Commerce Commission,
    Fair Go etc.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 26, 2008
  8. Sonn

    RL Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > If you were misled by the salesdroid, go back and complain. If they won't
    > put it right, you can try the Consumers' Institute, Commerce Commission,
    > Fair Go etc.

    If all the OP asked was if it supported VoIP, which is all he mentions
    here, then he was not mislead. Skype is a form of VoIP. A proprietary
    and evil service, but still VoIP.

    RL
    RL, Jan 26, 2008
  9. Sonn

    Sonn Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "Sonn" <> wrote in message
    >> I bought a Skype Logitech cordless handset a few months ago with the
    >> intention of using it for VOIP. It's called a Skype phone, but as Skype
    >> are merely a provider of voice over internet, I'm presuming (as was told
    >> when I bought it) that it could be used for VOIP.
    >>
    >> The instruction manual is very basic, and while VOIP is working well on my
    >> computer, the handset is not connecting.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me if this supposedly dedicated handset **will** work with
    >> VOIP, or does it **have** to be Skype only?
    >>
    >> I'm ready to throw it and get something else, otherwise.
    >>

    > Somebody didn't read the Logitech specs:
    >
    > http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/w...internet_headsets_phones/devices/233&cl=us,en
    >
    > To use that particular phone you need Windows and Skype.

    Even my ISP helpdesk said it was useable as a softphone. Never mind, a
    lesson well learned. Im reasonably technical, but am struggling a bit
    to keep up at the moment.

    I took RL's advice and bought a Linksys PAP2T box. Given that I have a
    very good cordless landline phone, it makes more sense. And good thing
    I had a spare router with more than one port, to connect the box, cos
    that wouldn't have occurred to me either. Getting iTalk seems
    straightforward for the average user, but there's a lot of
    don't-know-what-i-need-to-know type hidden questions in there.

    Thanks all
    S.
    Sonn, Jan 26, 2008
  10. Sonn

    RL Guest

    Sonn wrote:
    > Even my ISP helpdesk said it was useable as a softphone. Never mind, a
    > lesson well learned. Im reasonably technical, but am struggling a bit
    > to keep up at the moment.
    >
    > I took RL's advice and bought a Linksys PAP2T box. Given that I have a
    > very good cordless landline phone, it makes more sense. And good thing
    > I had a spare router with more than one port, to connect the box, cos
    > that wouldn't have occurred to me either. Getting iTalk seems
    > straightforward for the average user, but there's a lot of
    > don't-know-what-i-need-to-know type hidden questions in there.

    I would recommend 2Talk over iTalk. They have a free plan you can try,
    and the pay plans start at $15 per month ($9.95 for iTalk), but the
    costs for calls are lower, and you get many more features.

    2Talk is quite small, so getting hold of phone support isn't always
    easy, but they do reply to questions on the forums every few days
    (unlike iTalk), and they seem to know what they are doing. They are also
    open to suggestions for improving the service. Overall, I highly
    recommend them.

    Hopefully the PAP2T will work well for you. I've found the older PAP2 to
    be excellent. It is possibly the most reliable device on my network.

    RL
    RL, Jan 26, 2008
  11. Sonn

    Sonn Guest

    Sonn wrote:
    > I bought a Skype Logitech cordless handset a few months ago with the
    > intention of using it for VOIP. It's called a Skype phone, but as Skype
    > are merely a provider of voice over internet, I'm presuming (as was told
    > when I bought it) that it could be used for VOIP.
    >
    > The instruction manual is very basic, and while VOIP is working well on
    > my computer, the handset is not connecting.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if this supposedly dedicated handset **will** work
    > with VOIP, or does it **have** to be Skype only?
    >
    > I'm ready to throw it and get something else, otherwise.
    >
    > S.

    RL are you still on this thread? This is turning out to be such a trial.
    Is Linksys VOIP IPA compatible with Slingshot? Anyone know? I found
    something online that said it was for use with Vonage only. And
    something else which said it can't be unlocked to be used with other
    ISPs - but that was a Canadian website. Haven't found a local one, yet.

    Any ideas? At least I can take this one back if it doesn't work out.

    Sorry folks, being middle age female (blonde probably has something to
    do with it), I I'm struggling to get my head around all this. Used to
    keep up with technology, but its all getting too much.

    S.
    Sonn, Jan 27, 2008
  12. Sonn

    RL Guest

    Sonn wrote:
    > RL are you still on this thread? This is turning out to be such a trial.
    > Is Linksys VOIP IPA compatible with Slingshot? Anyone know? I found
    > something online that said it was for use with Vonage only. And
    > something else which said it can't be unlocked to be used with other
    > ISPs - but that was a Canadian website. Haven't found a local one, yet.
    >
    > Any ideas? At least I can take this one back if it doesn't work out.

    These products are often locked to VoIP providers because they are
    included as part of a minimum-term contract, just like cellphones. The
    version of the product sold in New Zealand is not locked to any provider.

    Unfortunately the documentation that comes with the product is a little
    lacking. For the PAP2, and presumably the PAP2T, you need to connect the
    phone to it, and use the voice prompts to set an IP address and subnet
    for your nextwork. Once that is done, all configuration is completed via
    the Web browser.

    See this page, the post below from someone named 'RL' (wonder who that
    is), which tells you what you _need_ to change to get this to work. You
    can make other changes as recommended in the thread to make the phone
    behave more like a traditional analogue phone does...

    http://forums.italk.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=136

    I expect the PAP2T is almost identical to the PAP2. The only change I
    know of for certain is that the case changed a little, and the lights
    became green instead of an annoying bright blue.

    - RL
    RL, Jan 27, 2008
  13. In article <fnijb9$364$>, RL did write:

    > I expect the PAP2T is almost identical to the PAP2. The only change I
    > know of for certain is that the case changed a little, and the lights
    > became green instead of an annoying bright blue.

    Some discussion of the differences here
    <http://www.voipuser.org/forum_topic_5702.html> and here
    <http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=VoIP_Adapters&message.id=402>..
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 27, 2008
  14. In article <fnj4lr$tgf$>, Bruce Sinclair did write:

    > Check out offerings from Jaycar. Might be something there that suits you.

    Or nicegear.co.nz, in Timaru, I believe.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 28, 2008

    Bruce Sinclair, Jan 28, 2008
  16. Sonn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Sonn" typed:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <1201295526.958519@ftpsrv1>, Sonn did write:
    >>
    >>> I bought a Skype Logitech cordless handset a few months ago with the
    >>> intention of using it for VOIP. It's called a Skype phone, but as
    >>> Skype are merely a provider of voice over internet, I'm presuming
    >>> (as was told when I bought it) that it could be used for VOIP.

    >> Nope. Skype is a competely proprietary system. Avoid.
    >>

    > Thanks guys. I will also avoid Dick Smith from now on, as this would
    > be the umpteenth time I've relied on their technical knowledge before
    > purchasing, to find later they're idiots. Silly me.

    Seriously, I don't think that you can single out Dick Smith when it comes to
    salespeople knowing next-to-nothing about the product. Most retail outlets
    pay peanuts and get monkeys.

    I have learned that unless you've researched the item yourself (the best
    course of action) then it pays to insist on talking to a senior salesperson
    or a department manager if you have to ask about specifics.

    Actually, if you follow the guidelines above then Dick Smiths is one of the
    better options as they have a 14 day full refund policy as long as you
    return the item comnplete with it's original packaging. It doesn't even have
    to be defective, you can just change your mind. Try *that* at any other
    retail outlet and see what happens!
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 28, 2008
  17. In article <479d277c$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Somewhere on teh intarweb "Sonn" typed:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> In article <1201295526.958519@ftpsrv1>, Sonn did write:

    >>> Nope. Skype is a competely proprietary system. Avoid.
    >>>

    >> Thanks guys. I will also avoid Dick Smith from now on, as this would
    >> be the umpteenth time I've relied on their technical knowledge before
    >> purchasing, to find later they're idiots. Silly me.

    >Seriously, I don't think that you can single out Dick Smith when it comes to
    >salespeople knowing next-to-nothing about the product. Most retail outlets
    >pay peanuts and get monkeys.
    >
    >I have learned that unless you've researched the item yourself (the best
    >course of action) then it pays to insist on talking to a senior salesperson
    >or a department manager if you have to ask about specifics.
    >
    >Actually, if you follow the guidelines above then Dick Smiths is one of the
    >better options as they have a 14 day full refund policy as long as you
    >return the item comnplete with it's original packaging. It doesn't even have
    >to be defective, you can just change your mind. Try *that* at any other
    >retail outlet and see what happens!

    As a counter example, I returned a defective switchable power pack to dick
    smith and was told I 'must have broken it' by the salesmin and the branch
    manager. That said, an email to head office fixed the problem quickly, but
    it was an aggravation I did not need.
    Bruce Sinclair, Jan 28, 2008
  18. Sonn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Bruce Sinclair" typed:
    > In article <479d277c$>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Sonn" typed:

    >>> Thanks guys. I will also avoid Dick Smith from now on, as this
    >>> would be the umpteenth time I've relied on their technical
    >>> knowledge before purchasing, to find later they're idiots. Silly
    >>> me.

    >> Seriously, I don't think that you can single out Dick Smith when it
    >> comes to salespeople knowing next-to-nothing about the product. Most
    >> retail outlets pay peanuts and get monkeys.
    >>
    >> I have learned that unless you've researched the item yourself (the
    >> best course of action) then it pays to insist on talking to a senior
    >> salesperson or a department manager if you have to ask about
    >> specifics.
    >>
    >> Actually, if you follow the guidelines above then Dick Smiths is one
    >> of the better options as they have a 14 day full refund policy as
    >> long as you return the item comnplete with it's original packaging.
    >> It doesn't even have to be defective, you can just change your mind.
    >> Try *that* at any other retail outlet and see what happens!

    > As a counter example, I returned a defective switchable power pack to
    > dick
    > smith and was told I 'must have broken it' by the salesmin and the
    > branch
    > manager. That said, an email to head office fixed the problem
    > quickly, but
    > it was an aggravation I did not need.

    That's the first time I've heard of someone having a problem returning
    something to DSE. (I suppose I'm going to hear lots of stories now. <g>)

    I suspect that it was a localised thing, that perhaps that manager had had a
    run of returns and was trying to change that. Bad luck for him. Head office
    policy is to *always* honour the 14-day right of return unless it's
    _obvious_ (i.e. Item checked before and after) that customer damage was the
    cause.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 28, 2008
  19. Sonn

    Sonn Guest

    Re: GGRrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!!

    Sonn wrote:
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "Sonn" <> wrote in message
    >>> I bought a Skype Logitech cordless handset a few months ago with the
    >>> intention of using it for VOIP. It's called a Skype phone, but as
    >>> Skype are merely a provider of voice over internet, I'm presuming (as
    >>> was told when I bought it) that it could be used for VOIP.
    >>>
    >>> The instruction manual is very basic, and while VOIP is working well
    >>> on my computer, the handset is not connecting.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone tell me if this supposedly dedicated handset **will** work
    >>> with VOIP, or does it **have** to be Skype only?
    >>>
    >>> I'm ready to throw it and get something else, otherwise.
    >>>

    >> Somebody didn't read the Logitech specs:
    >>
    >> http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/w...internet_headsets_phones/devices/233&cl=us,en
    >>

    >> To use that particular phone you need Windows and Skype.
    >>

    > Even my ISP helpdesk said it was useable as a softphone. Never mind, a
    > lesson well learned. Im reasonably technical, but am struggling a bit
    > to keep up at the moment.
    >
    > I took RL's advice and bought a Linksys PAP2T box. Given that I have a
    > very good cordless landline phone, it makes more sense. And good thing
    > I had a spare router with more than one port, to connect the box, cos
    > that wouldn't have occurred to me either. Getting iTalk seems
    > straightforward for the average user, but there's a lot of
    > don't-know-what-i-need-to-know type hidden questions in there.
    >
    > Thanks all
    > S.

    The saga continues... I gave in, gave up, took the Linksys back to Dick
    Smith THEN they told me there's a really useful Linksys 0800 helpdesk -
    but Linksys hadn't bothered to put the number in with their sparse
    instructions.

    I got a Slingshot voicebox, thinking it would come with support. Sort
    of. It's a 15-20 minute wait each time I call the Slingshot helpdesk,
    but I suppose I get that for expecting to pay peanuts for a service.

    Last night --> I got home from work, and called Slingshot helpdesk on my
    mobile speakerphone. Was instructed to log into the voicebox via
    browser, changed a whole heap of settings as instructed (including
    removing some address defaulted into the settings), logged out,
    rebooted. Nothing worked. Just a slow red blinking light which got
    brighter as the night went on, but alas, did not turn green, EVER. I
    could no longer log into the voicebox either; we tried for a good hour
    to get around the problem --> (gee, wonder if those addresses that were
    taken out, which are not in the standard instructions which SShot email
    out, were relevant?) Was instructed to RESET the voicebox. No
    difference. Almost bed time now, and a call was logged to higher level
    support by the helpdesk person.

    Today I left work early to catch the higher level helpdesk before they
    close at 6.30pm. Phoned SShot, and the call had been logged into the
    wrong queue, so I wasn't going to speak to the higher level helpdesk
    tonight; the log hadn't been received.

    I now have MUSIC playing through my phone attached to the voicebox when
    I press *** on my phone. No-one on the helpdesk has heard of this
    phenomena, so I'm told to take the voicebox back to Dick Smith because
    it's obviously a HARDWARE problem. Yeah right.

    Other info that might be relevant ... I have a shared line, with my
    landlord, but spent $150 bucks to get a splitter and dedicated broadband
    line put in. Relevant? Aha ... shrug ...

    Brainstorm this one folks!

    S.
    Sonn, Jan 30, 2008
  20. Sonn

    RL Guest

    Re: GGRrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!!

    Sonn wrote:
    > The saga continues... I gave in, gave up, took the Linksys back to Dick
    > Smith THEN they told me there's a really useful Linksys 0800 helpdesk -
    > but Linksys hadn't bothered to put the number in with their sparse
    > instructions.

    The product really is targeted at service providers, and the
    documentation (or lack thereof) reflects this. The getting started
    guide, along with the settings I mentioned in my other post, should have
    been enough to get you going.

    Even without the complexity of plugging a phone in to an ATA, and the
    ATA in to a router, your basic desktop VoIP phone still requires some
    configuring. I would have thought Slingshot would have everything ready
    to go, minus your username and password. Apparently not.

    > I got a Slingshot voicebox, thinking it would come with support. Sort
    > of. It's a 15-20 minute wait each time I call the Slingshot helpdesk,
    > but I suppose I get that for expecting to pay peanuts for a service.

    I get the impression you're not too technically inclined, but if you
    want to know what those settings were, I believe the Voicebox is a
    rebranded Grandstream ATA ('286' or similar), and a quick Google search
    should find the manual for it, assuming it is more useful than the
    Linksys one.

    Actually, there is a fairly decent manual for the Linksys, I just don't
    think it is included with the product.

    > Other info that might be relevant ... I have a shared line, with my
    > landlord, but spent $150 bucks to get a splitter and dedicated broadband
    > line put in. Relevant? Aha ... shrug ...

    Not relevant in this case, no.

    - RL
    RL, Jan 30, 2008