    up. The big question is - is there a public VOIP gateway to the Telecom
    POTS in NZ (or even overseas) and how much does it cost?. Whoosh already
    offer VOIP in Southland but so far VOIP in Wellington is only a promise.
    Roger_Nickel, May 31, 2008

  2. Roger_Nickel

    sam Guest

    Roger_Nickel wrote:
    > I want to ditch my Telecom landline but the cellphone is a bit expensive
    > to use for everything. I can get a good signal from the Kelburn Whoosh
    > base station and 1Gig/month costs $30. This is less than the landline and
    > speed is about 60Kb/second, not quite broadband but way faster than dial-
    > up. The big question is - is there a public VOIP gateway to the Telecom
    > POTS in NZ (or even overseas) and how much does it cost?. Whoosh already
    > offer VOIP in Southland but so far VOIP in Wellington is only a promise.

    Mauricio at geekzone posted about his experience recently.
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/3254
    sam, May 31, 2008

  3. Roger_Nickel

    EMB Guest

    Roger_Nickel wrote:
    > I want to ditch my Telecom landline but the cellphone is a bit expensive
    > to use for everything. I can get a good signal from the Kelburn Whoosh
    > base station and 1Gig/month costs $30. This is less than the landline and
    > speed is about 60Kb/second, not quite broadband but way faster than dial-
    > up. The big question is - is there a public VOIP gateway to the Telecom
    > POTS in NZ (or even overseas) and how much does it cost?. Whoosh already
    > offer VOIP in Southland but so far VOIP in Wellington is only a promise.

    I'm playing with VOIP connections at work at the moment (stops me
    getting bored and makes me look busy). Both xnet and 2talk seem to work
    ok so far.

    http://www.xnet.co.nz/vfx/
    http://www.2talk.co.nz/

    It might be worth signing up for a free 2talk account to see if it's
    viable on your net connection.
    EMB, May 31, 2008
  4. Roger_Nickel

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:49:38 +1200, Roger_Nickel wrote:

    > I want to ditch my Telecom landline but the cellphone is a bit expensive
    > to use for everything. I can get a good signal from the Kelburn Whoosh
    > base station and 1Gig/month costs $30. This is less than the landline
    > and speed is about 60Kb/second, not quite broadband but way faster than
    > dial- up. The big question is - is there a public VOIP gateway to the
    > Telecom POTS in NZ (or even overseas) and how much does it cost?. Whoosh
    > already offer VOIP in Southland but so far VOIP in Wellington is only a
    > promise.

    Thanks for replies; after last month I have had a gutsful of Telecom's
    chiseling. Enough. Time for a change.
    Roger_Nickel, May 31, 2008
  5. Roger_Nickel

    Tony Guest

    > Thanks for replies; after last month I have had a gutsful of Telecom's
    > chiseling. Enough. Time for a change.

    WorldXchange (xnet.co.nz) VOIP with a Linksys adaptor just works. Its
    cheap, fast and reliable.
    Tony, May 31, 2008
  6. Roger_Nickel

    RL Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > I'm playing with VOIP connections at work at the moment (stops me
    > getting bored and makes me look busy). Both xnet and 2talk seem to work
    > ok so far.

    I have been with 2Talk for a while now, and have found the service to be
    very good. Much better than iTalk which I was using previously.

    Residential customers get all the same features as business cutomers, so
    if you want to try out advanced configurations link trunking, you can do
    so, even on free accounts.

    RL
    RL, Jun 1, 2008