voip from Bahrain

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Joop de Wit, Jul 9, 2005.

  1. Joop de Wit

    Joop de Wit Guest

    I will be moving shortly to Bahrain (Middle East)

    So I am looking for a VOIP system so I can call cheaply from Bahrain to
    destinations like Australia and Europe. Not P2P but from PC to POTS.

    Any recommendations on what the best provider is?


    Joop
     
    Joop de Wit, Jul 9, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Hi Joop,

    "Joop de Wit" <> wrote:
    > I will be moving shortly to Bahrain, so I am looking for a VOIP system so
    > I can call cheaply from Bahrain to destinations like Australia and Europe.


    You will probably get internet and phone via Batelco. They have their own
    VoIP solution, but it seems to be limited
    http://www.batelco.com.bh/preview.asp?ArticleId=39&mnu=11 . I don't know
    whether or not they prevent you from accessing other services outside of
    Bahrain.

    A well known international VoIP provider is Skype. Advantage: Their software
    automatically configures itself to match even the weirdest network
    configurations. Disadvantage: They use a proprietary protocol: Skyp service
    (almost) only works with Skype software.

    There are numerous providers who use the standard SIP-protocol and have
    various billing options. The optimum depends on your needs. You may look
    for:
    - Are calls to customers of the same provider free?
    - Do calls to customers of other providers go over the Internet and are free
    or do they go over the landline and have to be paid? Does the provider
    support ENUM or peering to reach these customers, does he block calls to and
    from others or does he neither support nor block you?
    - Does the provider charge a monthly base fee or just per minute?
    - Do you get a personal dial in number?
    - Do shared dial in numbers around the world exist where people from
    Australia or Europe can dial in and just pay the national rate to reach you?

    Christian Barmala
     
    Christian Barmala, Jul 9, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Joop de Wit

    Joop de Wit Guest

    Christian Barmala wrote:
    > Hi Joop,
    >
    > "Joop de Wit" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I will be moving shortly to Bahrain, so I am looking for a VOIP system so
    >>I can call cheaply from Bahrain to destinations like Australia and Europe.

    >
    >
    > You will probably get internet and phone via Batelco. They have their own
    > VoIP solution, but it seems to be limited
    > http://www.batelco.com.bh/preview.asp?ArticleId=39&mnu=11 . I don't know
    > whether or not they prevent you from accessing other services outside of
    > Bahrain.
    >
    > A well known international VoIP provider is Skype. Advantage: Their software
    > automatically configures itself to match even the weirdest network
    > configurations. Disadvantage: They use a proprietary protocol: Skyp service
    > (almost) only works with Skype software.
    >
    > There are numerous providers who use the standard SIP-protocol and have
    > various billing options. The optimum depends on your needs. You may look
    > for:
    > - Are calls to customers of the same provider free?
    > - Do calls to customers of other providers go over the Internet and are free
    > or do they go over the landline and have to be paid? Does the provider
    > support ENUM or peering to reach these customers, does he block calls to and
    > from others or does he neither support nor block you?
    > - Does the provider charge a monthly base fee or just per minute?
    > - Do you get a personal dial in number?
    > - Do shared dial in numbers around the world exist where people from
    > Australia or Europe can dial in and just pay the national rate to reach you?
    >
    > Christian Barmala
    >
    >


    Thanks for the info Christian.
    Looking at their website, it they offer a calling card, but I do not see
    anything for VOIP.
    But I definitely need a foreign VOIP provider, as their international
    rates are a joke: to call Australia will cost me 0.60 euro's per minute,
    from Oz to Europe I pay 0.03 Euro/min: 1/20th of the price!

    And their ADSL rates are 100 Euro's per month for 512 kbs download, I
    pay here in France 30 Euro for 1.5 Mbs.
    Oh the joy of state monopolies.

    I looked at Skype, and it is almost exactly, but not quite, what I need.
    My ideal would be to use a ATA box, so I can use my normal phone for
    VOIP as well as POTS.


    Joop
     
    Joop de Wit, Jul 9, 2005
    #3
  4. "Joop de Wit" <> wrote:
    > I looked at Skype, and it is almost exactly, but not quite, what I need.
    > My ideal would be to use a ATA box, so I can use my normal phone for VOIP
    > as well as POTS.


    If you need an ATA-box, you probably have to go for a SIP-compliant
    provider.

    See
    http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=VOIP Service Providers by Country
    As a sample: http://sipphone.com/minutes/ or
    http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php

    Some ATA-boxes even allow for multiple providers simultaneously.

    e164.org Support <> currently runs a test and offers (some)
    free calls to Australia.

    Christian
     
    Christian Barmala, Jul 9, 2005
    #4
  5. Joop de Wit

    Joop de Wit Guest

    Christian Barmala wrote:
    > "Joop de Wit" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I looked at Skype, and it is almost exactly, but not quite, what I need.
    >>My ideal would be to use a ATA box, so I can use my normal phone for VOIP
    >>as well as POTS.

    >
    >
    > If you need an ATA-box, you probably have to go for a SIP-compliant
    > provider.
    >
    > See
    > http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=VOIP Service Providers by Country
    > As a sample: http://sipphone.com/minutes/ or
    > http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php
    >
    > Some ATA-boxes even allow for multiple providers simultaneously.
    >
    > e164.org Support <> currently runs a test and offers (some)
    > free calls to Australia.
    >
    > Christian
    >
    >


    Aliitle bit more research, and I think that I found it:
    - Skype (+SkypeOut and SkypeIn)
    - Telephone Olympia DualPhone. That one interfacers with Skype via USB
    and also has a POTS connection.

    Looks like a winning combination

    Thanks for your help.


    Joop
     
    Joop de Wit, Jul 9, 2005
    #5
  6. Hi,

    "Joop de Wit" <>
    > Aliitle bit more research, and I think that I found it:
    > - Skype (+SkypeOut and SkypeIn)


    SkypeOut has an attractive per minute price, SkypeIn is payd per year.


    > - Telephone Olympia DualPhone. That one interfacers with Skype via USB
    > and also has a POTS connection.


    Interesting. I didn't yet know about this hardware.

    Christian
     
    Christian Barmala, Jul 9, 2005
    #6
  7. Joop de Wit

    ubifone Guest

    Dear Joop,

    Hi, how are you?
    How are you doing over there?
    Do you like the country? I hope that you like and absorb the culture.

    If you kindly visit http://www.uninumber.ubifone.com/ you'll get all and
    more than what you're looking for.

    And in addition you can start the worldwide business from there.

    Please do feel free to contact me at anytime for further information or
    questions you may have at: uninumber.gmail.com

    Wish you all the best.
    Sam.

    -------------------------------------
    Joop de Wit wrote:




    > I will be moving shortly to Bahrain (Middle East)


    > So I am looking for a VOIP system so I can call cheaply from Bahrain to


    > destinations like Australia and Europe. Not P2P but from PC to POTS.


    > Any recommendations on what the best provider is?



    > Joop






    ##-----------------------------------------------#
    Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archiv
    http://www.cabling-design.com/forum
    no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -
    comp.dcom.voice-over-ip - 4876 messages and counting
    ##-----------------------------------------------##
     
    ubifone, Jul 29, 2005
    #7
  8. Joop de Wit

    ubifone Guest

    Dear Christian,

    Hi, how are you?

    With your permission, I would like to introduce you a new concept:
    'One World, One Community, One Number'.

    For details please visit : http://www.uninumber.ubifone.com/

    Please do feel free to contact me on
    or speak for free through the new system.
    My Global Number is 97139713.

    Kind Regards,

    Sam.

    -------------------------------------
    Christian Barmala wrote:

    > Hi Joop,


    > "Joop de Wit" <> wrote:
    >> I will be moving shortly to Bahrain, so I am looking for a VOIP
    >> system so
    >> I can call cheaply from Bahrain to destinations like Australia and
    >> Europe.


    > You will probably get internet and phone via Batelco. They have their
    > own
    > VoIP solution, but it seems to be limited
    > http://www.batelco.com.bh/preview.asp?ArticleId=39&mnu=11 . I don't
    > know
    > whether or not they prevent you from accessing other services outside
    > of
    > Bahrain.


    > A well known international VoIP provider is Skype. Advantage: Their
    > software
    > automatically configures itself to match even the weirdest network
    > configurations. Disadvantage: They use a proprietary protocol: Skyp
    > service
    > (almost) only works with Skype software.


    > There are numerous providers who use the standard SIP-protocol and have


    > various billing options. The optimum depends on your needs. You may
    > look
    > for:
    > - Are calls to customers of the same provider free?
    > - Do calls to customers of other providers go over the Internet and are
    > free
    > or do they go over the landline and have to be paid? Does the provider
    > support ENUM or peering to reach these customers, does he block calls
    > to and
    > from others or does he neither support nor block you?
    > - Does the provider charge a monthly base fee or just per minute?
    > - Do you get a personal dial in number?
    > - Do shared dial in numbers around the world exist where people from
    > Australia or Europe can dial in and just pay the national rate to reach
    > you?


    > Christian Barmala








    ##-----------------------------------------------#
    Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archiv
    http://www.cabling-design.com/forum
    no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -
    comp.dcom.voice-over-ip - 4876 messages and counting
    ##-----------------------------------------------##
     
    ubifone, Jul 29, 2005
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ike lozada
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    588
  2. sitekeeper
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    932
    sitekeeper
    May 23, 2004
  3. Sam Kong
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    593
    Guest
    May 28, 2004
  4. joseph
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,312
  5. GraB
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    465
    E. Scrooge
    Mar 14, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page