VOIP for small office

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by cpvh@uk2.net, Feb 17, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I have a friend who runs a small charity and may need to move away from
    the pabx they have been using, and I am researching other options for
    them.

    They need 4 handsets and 1 fax/modem line.

    Would it be feasible to have a couple of dual terminal adaptors, or 4
    VOIP phones plugged into a 10/100 switch along with their 4 computers,
    and connect to the internet via adsl. The concurrent "load" both in
    terms of web/email traffic and data and VOIP traffic would be light.

    This would leave the "voice" bit of the ADSL to drive the Fax/Modem.

    Most calls would be to uk landlines, so a serice provider would be
    needed for the ip-pstn "conversion".

    What bandwith would be required on the ADSL in order to get 4
    simultaneous VOIP calls in addition to a little data? (This would
    rarely happen, but has to be taken into account).

    Budget as you might expect is extemely limited, but if the simplest
    solution is just a little more expensive, it would be the one to go for
    (esp if it means I could handle the install/config without having to
    bring in external people).

    What equipment/solutions/providers would people recommend?

    TIA

    Cheers

    Chris

    , Feb 17, 2006

  2. cjd Guest

    cjd, Feb 18, 2006

  3. Guest

    cjd wrote:
    > You may want to take a look at www.voipfone.co.uk
    >
    > or read the Virtual PBX section of the user manual here:
    >
    > http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Voipfone_User_Manual_v1.0.pdf
    >
    > There's a user forum to chat it though if you need to
    >
    > http://www.voipfoneuserforum.com
    >
    > I declare an interest :)
    >
    > colin, voipfone.

    Thanks for that Colin. I declare an interest too (in as far as it
    looks interesting :=))

    I must say, VOIP is the first computer/network thing in a long time
    that has gotten me excited!

    What I couldn't find there was any recommendations as to what "speed"
    ADSL line might be required for 4 simultaneous VOIP conversations.

    Anyone any idea on this?

    , Feb 20, 2006
  4. cjd Guest

    A thread was started on that here:

    http://www.voipfoneuserforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=104

    It's 'how long is a piece of string' question finishing with 'it all
    depends'.

    The real world effect is very hard to predict from the theory which
    would suggest that 4 users should work on a ordinary ADSL link (where
    the upchannel of 256kbs is the bottleneck).

    Luckily it's something that you can experiment with without making any
    serious investment. In practise we have many 2-8 extension users on
    ordinary ASDSL lines. As they grow they tend to get a dedicated ADSL
    connection for VoIP then move to SDSL.

    cjd, Feb 20, 2006
  5. Guest

    cjd wrote:
    > A thread was started on that here:
    >
    > http://www.voipfoneuserforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=104
    >
    > It's 'how long is a piece of string' question finishing with 'it all
    > depends'.
    >
    > The real world effect is very hard to predict from the theory which
    > would suggest that 4 users should work on a ordinary ADSL link (where
    > the upchannel of 256kbs is the bottleneck).
    >
    > Luckily it's something that you can experiment with without making any
    > serious investment. In practise we have many 2-8 extension users on
    > ordinary ASDSL lines. As they grow they tend to get a dedicated ADSL
    > connection for VoIP then move to SDSL.

    Oh dear!

    I really am out of the loop on DSL!

    I didn't know that SDSL was available this side of the pond!

    , Feb 20, 2006
  6. In article <>, cjd
    <> writes
    >A thread was started on that here:
    >
    >http://www.voipfoneuserforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=104
    >
    >It's 'how long is a piece of string' question finishing with 'it all
    >depends'.
    >
    >The real world effect is very hard to predict from the theory which
    >would suggest that 4 users should work on a ordinary ADSL link (where
    >the upchannel of 256kbs is the bottleneck).
    >
    >Luckily it's something that you can experiment with without making any
    >serious investment. In practise we have many 2-8 extension users on
    >ordinary ASDSL lines. As they grow they tend to get a dedicated ADSL
    >connection for VoIP then move to SDSL.

    I would suggest 3 possibly 4 IP phones on one ADSL, but be prepared for
    quality to suffer if all 4 are active at once. - This on an ADSL line
    dedicated to the IP phones.
    If they are a charity, and hit the phones to generate donations, it will
    be worth having 2 BT lines.
    Philip Partridge

    Phil Partridge, Feb 20, 2006
  7. cjd Guest

    The thing to do is just try it.

    If the ADSL link, PCs and LAN exists, the investment is 4 headsets from
    ASDA £7.00 each (although in the end you'll want to buy real SIP
    telephones), four PBX extensions (99p each per month) and whatever
    calling credit you want to buy.

    The alternative is 2 ISDN circuits and a local pbx switch, which is a
    lot of investment and a very high running cost.

    cjd, Feb 20, 2006
  8. alexd Guest

    wrote:

    > Oh dear!
    >
    > I really am out of the loop on DSL!
    >
    > I didn't know that SDSL was available this side of the pond!

    It would have to be a pretty small pond, as it's only up to 1.6km from the
    exchange ;-)

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    23:07:02 up 26 days, 3:25, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.03

    alexd, Feb 20, 2006
  9. Guest

    On 20 Feb 2006 02:02:17 -0800, wrote:

    >What I couldn't find there was any recommendations as to what "speed"
    >ADSL line might be required for 4 simultaneous VOIP conversations.
    >
    >Anyone any idea on this?

    Regardless of downlink speed, most ADSL has an uplink of 256k. Which
    means that you will be OK with three conversations, but if you want
    more, you will have to use a codec that uses less bandwidth, probably
    at the expense of quality.

    Four will run on a 256k uplink, but not on 711u

    , Feb 21, 2006
  10. wrote:
    > On 20 Feb 2006 02:02:17 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >>What I couldn't find there was any recommendations as to what "speed"
    >>ADSL line might be required for 4 simultaneous VOIP conversations.
    >>
    >>Anyone any idea on this?

    > Regardless of downlink speed, most ADSL has an uplink of 256k. Which
    > means that you will be OK with three conversations, but if you want
    > more, you will have to use a codec that uses less bandwidth, probably
    > at the expense of quality.

    Or if you're using 726 or 729 at the expense of runtime.

    > Four will run on a 256k uplink, but not on 711u

    I guess it depends on how reliably you can get 256k to the gateway.

    Thomas Kenyon, Feb 21, 2006
  11. PeterW Guest

    wrote in

    > On 20 Feb 2006 02:02:17 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >>What I couldn't find there was any recommendations as to what "speed"
    >>ADSL line might be required for 4 simultaneous VOIP conversations.
    >>
    >>Anyone any idea on this?

    > Regardless of downlink speed, most ADSL has an uplink of 256k. Which
    > means that you will be OK with three conversations, but if you want
    > more, you will have to use a codec that uses less bandwidth, probably
    > at the expense of quality.
    >
    > Four will run on a 256k uplink, but not on 711u

    ADSL is now 768/800k upstream for a lot of people, and for almost everybody
    from April (dependent on distance from exchange).

    711 (u/a) is about 84k per channel incl. overheads.

    SDSL is available but still expensive.

    Peter

    PeterW, Feb 22, 2006
  12. Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:50:42 +0000 (UTC), PeterW
    <> wrote:

    >ADSL is now 768/800k upstream for a lot of people, and for almost everybody
    >from April (dependent on distance from exchange).

    Don't you believe it. That "dependent on distance from exchange" is a
    big issue.

    , Feb 22, 2006
  13. PeterW wrote:

    > ADSL is now 768/800k upstream for a lot of people, and for almost everybody
    > from April (dependent on distance from exchange).

    Really? Here I'm on 512 up (ntl) and one place i work it's the same
    (bulldog).

    I wonder if either serivce will increase speed to compete. (not that I
    really care too much, but it is a bit weird having 20 times the speed
    down as up).

    Thomas Kenyon, Feb 22, 2006
  14. Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:14:13 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    <> wrote:

    >Really? Here I'm on 512 up (ntl) and one place i work it's the same
    >(bulldog).

    Neither are available here, or in many, many other places. Most
    places, in fact.

    , Feb 22, 2006