    what happens for outgoing calls? Do these IP systems just use the
    analog phone lines, or does the phone company give us some sort of IP
    line(s)?
    billfaith, Nov 14, 2006

  2. www.BradReese.Com, Nov 14, 2006

  3. billfaith

    Phil Schneck Guest

    Bill,

    Here is another link that talks about the Cisco IP Telephony products.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/products_category_buyers_guide.html

    My suggestion would be for you to use the Partner Locator tool on
    Cisco's website to find the closest authorized IP telephony partner.

    http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/jsp/partner_locator.jsp

    Regards,

    Phil Schneck

    Phil Schneck, Nov 14, 2006
  4. "billfaith" <> writes:
    >I work for a company with 14 analog phone lines and about 40 phones.
    >Our phone vendor is trying to sell us on an IP Phone system since our
    >systems is outdated. We have a fairly small network, a few switches, a
    >router to our ISP, file server etc.. Would an IP phone system use the
    >switches we have or do they require new ones? Also would we be getting
    >rid of our 14 phone lines from our local phone company? If so, where
    >would calls outside our building go to? I understand how it would work
    >inside our building, with everything running over our data network, but
    >what happens for outgoing calls? Do these IP systems just use the
    >analog phone lines, or does the phone company give us some sort of IP
    >line(s)?

    Hmm, sounds like questions best to ask of the vendor that is proposing
    this to you?

    The thing with VOIP is, you don't really want bursts on your data
    network to interfer with your voice network, so most companies run VOIP
    traffic in a seperate VLAN or a seperate network altogether.

    Typically, you'd probably be looking at keeping the POTS lines and run
    them through an IP gateway, although LECs are starting to deliver
    lines over VOIP connections as well.

    But, overall, the one really to ask is your vendor what they are proposing.
    You could go either way on alot of this.
    Doug McIntyre, Nov 15, 2006
  5. www.BradReese.Com, Nov 16, 2006