VoIP for boyfriend ..

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by T i m, Aug 2, 2007.

  1. T i m

    T i m Guest

    Hi all,

    'VoIP for boyfriend' .. That's not a swap for me but a question re
    what would be the best thing for us to do to resolve the following ..

    A while ago (and with good help here) I bought a FritzBox with the
    intention of providing a good reliable cable / wireless router (which
    it has been so far) and providing the opportunity for VoIP with the
    intention of loosing the little use NTL/VM telephone line for or
    daughter. I think that bit's working (although I haven't really used /
    tested it much as I need another DECT phone for the VoIP option as the
    FritzBox seems to get a bit confused being on an extension of my PABX)
    so we now need to look at the 'other end' and that's our daughters
    boyfriend.

    I gave him a little Belkin cable router a while back and loaned him an
    old WiFi enabled laptop so that he could use MSN in his own room when
    his Mum kicks him out of her bedroom (with the BB & wired PC) when she
    wants to go to bed. Not completely altruistic as it was a way to
    manage 'their' (so partly 'our') mobile phone / TXT call costs. ;-)

    So, based on the fact that I'm probably going to have to provide the
    kit for whatever you suggest, what would be the best solution to give
    him VoIP (cable) and it would probably have to be wireless whatever it
    was.

    All the best and thanks for your time ..

    T i m

    p.s. I played with a Draytek Vigor 2800 yesterday, just straight ADSL
    INet access etc. Seemed quite nice, easy / quick to configure?

    T i m, Aug 2, 2007

  2. T i m

    Tim Guest

    T i m wrote:
    > So, based on the fact that I'm probably going to have to provide the
    > kit for whatever you suggest, what would be the best solution to give
    > him VoIP (cable) and it would probably have to be wireless whatever it
    > was.

    Siemens C460IP dect phone? Install the base station next to the cable
    router and connect. Then can take the handset and charger where ever
    he wants in the house.

    Tim

    Tim, Aug 2, 2007

  3. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:25:49 +0100, Tim <> wrote:

    >T i m wrote:
    >> So, based on the fact that I'm probably going to have to provide the
    >> kit for whatever you suggest, what would be the best solution to give
    >> him VoIP (cable) and it would probably have to be wireless whatever it
    >> was.
    >>

    >Siemens C460IP dect phone? Install the base station next to the cable
    >router and connect. Then can take the handset and charger where ever
    >he wants in the house.
    >
    >Tim

    Wow, that was quick Tim .. at first I thought I'd double posted! ;-)

    I must admit it does look like a neat solution and I guess at ~£85 is
    probably cheaper than getting (loaning) him a VoIP router + DECT phone
    etc... ?

    So is it just the QoS we are missing from this solution Tim?

    All the best ..

    T i m

    T i m, Aug 2, 2007
  4. T i m <> wrote:
    > I must admit it does look like a neat solution and I guess at ~?85 is
    > probably cheaper than getting (loaning) him a VoIP router + DECT phone
    > etc... ?
    >
    > So is it just the QoS we are missing from this solution Tim?

    My intended solution is to buy a SPA3102 and insert it between the wireless
    router and the cable modem. SPA3102 does routing/QoS so gets first dibs on
    the bandwidth, and the wireless router then gets the rest. And then hook
    any old DECT phone to the SPA3102 (already have one lying around).

    Most of the bits are on order (want to try VoIP on a softphone before buying
    the SPA3102) so I haven't tried it yet.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Aug 3, 2007
  5. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On 03 Aug 2007 13:01:57 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos
    <> wrote:

    >T i m <> wrote:
    >> I must admit it does look like a neat solution and I guess at ~?85 is
    >> probably cheaper than getting (loaning) him a VoIP router + DECT phone
    >> etc... ?
    >>
    >> So is it just the QoS we are missing from this solution Tim?

    >My intended solution is to buy a SPA3102 and insert it between the wireless
    >router and the cable modem. SPA3102 does routing/QoS so gets first dibs on
    >the bandwidth, and the wireless router then gets the rest.

    Understood.

    > And then hook
    >any old DECT phone to the SPA3102 (already have one lying around).

    Handy ;-)

    >Most of the bits are on order (want to try VoIP on a softphone before buying
    >the SPA3102) so I haven't tried it yet.

    Ok and I would be interested to hear how you (and any others using
    said) get on.

    My 'concern' re getting an all-in-one SIP phone to lend to the
    daughters b/f is he seems to be a bit clumsy with stuff [1] so a
    cheaper DECT phone (that might get dropped / damaged) into a VoIP box
    or router might be a better solution?

    All the best ..

    T i m

    T i m, Aug 3, 2007
  6. T i m

    Tim Guest

    T i m wrote:
    > My 'concern' re getting an all-in-one SIP phone to lend to the
    > daughters b/f is he seems to be a bit clumsy with stuff [1] so a
    > cheaper DECT phone (that might get dropped / damaged) into a VoIP box
    > or router might be a better solution?

    Sorry to plug Siemens yet again.

    But the Siemens C46 handsets that come with the C460IP system are really
    durable. I've not managed to break mine yet.

    They might not survive swimming though :)

    Spare handsets are 34.04 + VAT.

    Tim

    Tim, Aug 3, 2007
  7. T i m

    Jono Guest

    It happens that Tim formulated :
    > T i m wrote:
    >> My 'concern' re getting an all-in-one SIP phone to lend to the
    >> daughters b/f is he seems to be a bit clumsy with stuff [1] so a
    >> cheaper DECT phone (that might get dropped / damaged) into a VoIP box
    >> or router might be a better solution?

    > Sorry to plug Siemens yet again.
    >

    > But the Siemens C46 handsets that come with the C460IP system are really
    > durable. I've not managed to break mine yet.
    >
    > They might not survive swimming though :)
    >
    > Spare handsets are 34.04 + VAT.

    Can you supply the pocket clips for these handsets? Also, is there a
    suitable case for them?

    Jono, Aug 3, 2007
  8. In article <46b378c8$0$648$>,
    Tim <> wrote:
    >T i m wrote:
    >> My 'concern' re getting an all-in-one SIP phone to lend to the
    >> daughters b/f is he seems to be a bit clumsy with stuff [1] so a
    >> cheaper DECT phone (that might get dropped / damaged) into a VoIP box
    >> or router might be a better solution?

    >Sorry to plug Siemens yet again.
    >

    >But the Siemens C46 handsets that come with the C460IP system are really
    >durable. I've not managed to break mine yet.

    Hmph.

    Client of mine dropped one yesterday. Now has one-way only audio )-:
    Will be placing an order soon

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 3, 2007
  9. T i m

    Tim Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > Can you supply the pocket clips for these handsets? Also, is there a
    > suitable case for them?

    We can't get any spare bits for them.

    And I've never seen a case.

    Tim