    What are the differences between VoIP Faxing and IP Faxing, please?
    Is the fax reliable in a VoIP environment?

    Thanks
    IT News, May 22, 2009

  2. IT News

    bin me Guest

    Can't give a definitive answer for the differences between VoIP & IP,
    but can say my VoIP fax is not reliable outgoing, but seems to work well
    with incoming faxes (both UK and overseas).

    I have a POT fax machine connected to a 2 port Linksys Internet phone
    adapter. From enquiries I made, its my VoIP service provider that has
    the problem with the coding of the fax tones, some being outside the
    pass band of the codex they use.

    Given my combined Tx & Rx of faxes is about 10 per year now, its not a
    problem for me. However, if the through put of faxes increased to the
    old levels of around 5 per day, I would seek an alternative solution.

    Alan

    In message <EAnRl.105798$>, IT News
    <> writes

    --
    Alan
    bin me, May 22, 2009

  3. IT News

    Graham. Guest

    "IT News" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > What are the differences between VoIP Faxing and IP Faxing, please?
    > Is the fax reliable in a VoIP environment?
    >
    > Thanks

    Probably no difference.
    I suppose terminology can mean whatever people want it to mean.
    FoIP is sometimes used, and I suppose it normally means the same
    as VoIP faxing ie "The tones of a standard office Group 3 fax machine,
    or a computer program emulating one, being sent via a VoIP channel
    using a suitable codec".

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., May 22, 2009
  4. IT News

    alexd Guest

    IT News wrote:

    > What are the differences between VoIP Faxing and IP Faxing, please?
    > Is the fax reliable in a VoIP environment?

    I had few problems faxing through an ATA on the same LAN as the PBX. Across
    the WAN however, T.38 support is what you want. It means that whatever
    actually interfaces with the PSTN actually emulates a fax machine, rather
    than just playing the received audio down the line.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    12:57:19 up 15 days, 15:40, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.09, 0.08
    alexd, May 22, 2009