VoIP extension for remote PABX user

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Jono, Aug 22, 2006.

  1. Jono

    Jono Guest

    Hello all,

    I need to set up an extension on a PABX for a remote user.

    The cost of the proprietory VoIP cards for the system outweighs any
    savings, so I was wondering what my alternatives are.

    I'm thinking along the following lines:

    1 X SPA3000 at the office, connected to an analogue extension port &
    obviously the internet.

    1 x SPA1001 (or SIP Phone) at the remote user's location.

    Is there better equipment suited to this, which would allow someone at
    the office to dial a 3 digit internal extension number and the call be
    automagically transfered to the remote end user's phone?

    Would it be configurable for the end user to dial out on the office
    lines? (Of course it would, I hear you say!)

    Would I need a third party ITSP to register with? I assume this might
    be the easiest way because both units would be behind a router.

    Thanks.
    Jono, Aug 22, 2006

  2. Jono

    JW Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I need to set up an extension on a PABX for a remote user.
    >
    > The cost of the proprietory VoIP cards for the system outweighs any
    > savings, so I was wondering what my alternatives are.
    >
    > I'm thinking along the following lines:
    >
    > 1 X SPA3000 at the office, connected to an analogue extension port &
    > obviously the internet.
    >
    > 1 x SPA1001 (or SIP Phone) at the remote user's location.
    >
    > Is there better equipment suited to this, which would allow someone at
    > the office to dial a 3 digit internal extension number and the call be
    > automagically transfered to the remote end user's phone?
    >
    > Would it be configurable for the end user to dial out on the office
    > lines? (Of course it would, I hear you say!)
    >
    > Would I need a third party ITSP to register with? I assume this might be
    > the easiest way because both units would be behind a router.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I looked into this a little while ago and found info here:
    http://www.provu.co.uk/support.html
    under "Sipura Self-help guides".

    In short, you can do this, and the guides show you how.

    The end-user should be able to dial any number, including
    trunk access codes. The guide recommends implementing
    security so that other SIP users don't do the same - maybe
    the routers will be secure enough.

    I'm not so sure the remote user would be able to access
    in-call PABX features, such as call transfer. That would
    depend on successful transmission of the hook-flash
    (recall). Maybe it would work using a dial-string instead.

    It isn't necessary to register if you use direct IP
    addressing, but if the routers make that impossible, then an
    external proxy may be required. The pdf guide shows how to
    do it either way.
    http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/pbx_extension_setup.pdf
    JW, Aug 23, 2006

  3. Jono

    Jono Guest

    "JW" <> wrote in message
    > I looked into this a little while ago and found info here:
    > http://www.provu.co.uk/support.html
    > under "Sipura Self-help guides".
    >
    > In short, you can do this, and the guides show you how.
    >
    > The end-user should be able to dial any number, including trunk access
    > codes. The guide recommends implementing security so that other SIP users
    > don't do the same - maybe the routers will be secure enough.
    >
    > I'm not so sure the remote user would be able to access in-call PABX
    > features, such as call transfer. That would depend on successful
    > transmission of the hook-flash (recall). Maybe it would work using a
    > dial-string instead.
    >
    > It isn't necessary to register if you use direct IP addressing, but if the
    > routers make that impossible, then an external proxy may be required. The
    > pdf guide shows how to do it either way.
    > http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/pbx_extension_setup.pdf

    Cheers.
    Jono, Aug 23, 2006