Voip enlightenment to ring Japan

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by JWH, Jul 3, 2006.

  1. JWH

    JWH Guest

    Hi, novice would be grateful for some advice. We live in north London and
    at the moment we have a BT
    line through which our pc is connected to virgin broadband. the pc is on for
    a lot of
    the day, but not all the time. we want to be able to make fairly regular
    cheap calls ( five or ten a week ) from London to Japan.

    we have been using the 18866 indirect service so far for this via our
    cordless house phone, but recently the connections abroad have been
    terrible. I wanted to make an important call the other day and there seemed
    a delayed connection, so i kept waiting. my mistake... Since they were
    charging all the time i was waiting for something to happen. over many
    attempts that day, i got charged a couple of
    pounds for nothing and their customer services are a joke. they send emails
    that don't
    seem related to anything you say. however for ringing to places in the
    u.k. a 5 pence/min minimum connection fee and then the rest of the call for
    free seems to
    me so far to be a fairly good reason for continue to use them, would you
    say?

    i was initially recommended to use Skype, but have since learn't that there
    might be better alternatives. Also it would really be great, if we could
    make these calls walking around the house, but would not want to pay a lot
    of money for expensive equipment to make this happen.

    Any advice on a good provider and what arrangement of what equipment is best
    would be gratefully received. Please bear in mind i am a simple soul and
    new to all this , so i
    would be grateful if things are spelt out a bit in plain language. many
    thanks.
    JWH, Jul 3, 2006

  2. JWH

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-07-03, JWH <> wrote:

    > Hi, novice would be grateful for some advice. We live in north London and
    > at the moment we have a BT line through which our pc is connected to virgin
    > broadband. the pc is on for a lot of the day, but not all the time. we want
    > to be able to make fairly regular cheap calls ( five or ten a week ) from
    > London to Japan.
    >
    > we have been using the 18866 indirect service so far for this via our
    > cordless house phone, but recently the connections abroad have been terrible.
    > I wanted to make an important call the other day and there seemed a delayed
    > connection, so i kept waiting. my mistake... Since they were charging all the
    > time i was waiting for something to happen. over many attempts that day, i
    > got charged a couple of pounds for nothing and their customer services are a
    > joke. they send emails that don't seem related to anything you say. however
    > for ringing to places in the u.k. a 5 pence/min minimum connection fee and
    > then the rest of the call for free seems to me so far to be a fairly good
    > reason for continue to use them, would you say?
    >
    > i was initially recommended to use Skype, but have since learn't that there
    > might be better alternatives. Also it would really be great, if we could
    > make these calls walking around the house, but would not want to pay a lot of
    > money for expensive equipment to make this happen.

    Skype uses its own proprietry protocol for phone calls over the internet. The
    alternatives you have heard of probably use SIP. This is an open protocol
    which can be employed by anyone. One consequence of this is that there is a
    wider variety of providers to choose from. The two protocols are incompatible
    with each other.

    Skype's landline rate to Japan is 0.022 EUR/minute. At www.voiptalk.co.uk they
    want 0.02 GBP/minute (excluding VAT), whereas www.sipdiscount.co.uk will ask
    for 0.0116 EUR/minute. Phone via www.voipcheap.co.uk and you get it for free.

    You did mention wanting to make cheap calls to Japan and these rates compare
    well with 0.03 GBP/minute at 18866.

    > Any advice on a good provider and what arrangement of what equipment is best
    > would be gratefully received. Please bear in mind i am a simple soul and new
    > to all this , so i would be grateful if things are spelt out a bit in plain
    > language.

    With SIP, if you want to use a cordless phone about the house or in the garden
    you are looking to buy a router, unless you already have one, and an analogue
    telephone adaptor (ATA). A good ATA is approximately 50 GBP. I suppose a
    decent router will have a similar price. The computer need not be on to use
    the phone.

    There are cordless phone solutions for Skype and the computer has to be powered
    up to use them. I don't know how much they cost but suspect they are cheaper
    than the router/ATA combination.

    If the equipment costs are not within your present budget you could take a look
    at www.webcalldirect.com. This is essentially a SIP service but there is no
    purchase of kit involved.

    I had better mention that sipdiscount, voipcheap and webcalldirect all belong
    to the same company as 18866. Perhaps you had better persevere with 18866!

    Brian.
    Brian, Jul 4, 2006

  3. JWH

    JWH Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > decent router will have a similar price. The computer need not be on to
    > use
    > the phone.
    >
    > There are cordless phone solutions for Skype and the computer has to be
    > powered
    > up to use them. I don't know how much they cost but suspect they are
    > cheaper
    > than the router/ATA combination.
    >
    > If the equipment costs are not within your present budget you could take a
    > look
    > at www.webcalldirect.com. This is essentially a SIP service but there is
    > no
    > purchase of kit involved.
    >
    > I had better mention that sipdiscount, voipcheap and webcalldirect all
    > belong
    > to the same company as 18866. Perhaps you had better persevere with

    Brian, a really concise and helpful response, many thanks
    JWH, Jul 4, 2006