voip devices broadcast id?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by mattpark, Aug 20, 2006.

  1. mattpark

    mattpark Guest

    Okay, need a little help here.

    Bear with me.

    Do voip devices broadcast what they are to the provider? As in, will
    my snom tell the provider its and snom, and my xten tell them its an
    xten?

    IF they do, is it possible to change this?

    I would be wanting to change my trixbox outgoing ID to sonething
    different.

    Just trying to work a problem out with my provider you see.

    Help much appreciated.

    Matt
    ---
    External Post from http://ukvoiptalk.com

    mattpark, Aug 20, 2006

  2. mattpark

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "mattpark" <-spam.invalid> wrote
    in message news:
    > Okay, need a little help here.
    >
    > Bear with me.
    >
    > Do voip devices broadcast what they are to the provider?
    > As in, will my snom tell the provider its and snom, and
    > my xten tell them its an xten?

    Yes.

    > IF they do, is it possible to change this?

    I don't know.

    > I would be wanting to change my trixbox outgoing ID to
    > sonething different.

    What do you mean by ID..? Why would you want someone to think you're using
    say a Sipura when you're using something else..? Or is that not what you
    mean..?

    > Just trying to work a problem out with my provider you
    > see.

    What sort of problem..?

    More info, more help..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 20, 2006

  3. mattpark

    Jon Farmer Guest

    mattpark wrote:

    > I would be wanting to change my trixbox outgoing ID to sonething
    > different.
    >
    > Just trying to work a problem out with my provider you see.

    This is called the User-Agent. As Trixbox is based on Asterisk you can
    change the User-Agent by specifying

    useragent=MY NEW USERAGENT

    in the [general] section of sip.conf.

    Regards