voip - - confused u will be !

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Homeworker, Jan 8, 2008.

  1. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest

    is it just me or is voip confusing .......

    i have always foud the plethora of mobile deals confusing and
    hard to workout best value .............

    VOIPS even more confusing ,ther seems to be a collection of
    companies offering service but everyone seems to have a mixed views
    on them , i see a compnay with good reviews then days later someones
    tearing them apart ....there doesnt seem to be any clear winner at the
    moment ..... maybe the markets not mature enough yet ? would youagree ?

    Except maybe SKYPE ..i say this mainly as its the only well known brand
    in the market ... but i get the general feeling its the AOL of the viop
    market
    ...maybe along the lines of Viop for dummies ...or thats the impression some
    people give ...its easy to set up and use but never best value ? and due to
    its
    popularity with the dummies its service can be erratic ?

    Also is viop really a service you should only set up and useif you REALLY
    have
    a need for it ..one thing that confuses me is the costs ......... calls
    arent really free
    are they and landline/mobile calls are so cheap now theres no REAL saving is
    there?
    if yourplanning to keep your exisitng land line and mobile ?

    Phew .. services ! theres seems to be plethora of services available but no
    one
    central place thats list available services so you can try and guage what
    services
    you might need ? nothing worse than signing up for aservice to read about
    feature you would reallylike

    I have a small list of my OWN must haves at the moment ..anyone know a
    decent
    company that can suffice

    1. ability to prepay by paypal
    2. no monthly service charge
    3. good rates
    4. no contract
    5. ability to choose a local number
    6. multiple numbers to 1 viop line
    7.different rings for different numbers
    8. ability to port in Bt numbers

    an collection of othr features i dont know i need yt likely

    Homeworker, Jan 8, 2008

  2. Homeworker

    Martin² Guest

    Well, yes, there are lots of deals and largely thanks to Betamax, it is a
    major pain to try to work out which one to go for. Then there are all sorts
    of cheap deals on landline calls too, making any savings via VoIP fairly
    minimal.
    And most of us have mobile contract deal too.

    In my own (fairly special) case, (I don't have a landline :) I gave up on
    Betamax etc. and just stick with
    sipgate.co.uk.
    It gives me rental free UK geo. landline No., I use it for 0800 calls,
    infrequent foreign calls, and of course free calls to other VoIP users.
    It works just fine ( I have QoS VoIP router ) and I pay very little (just
    for the foreign calls).

    It easily covers 'Homeworker's' first 5 points.
    6. can have multiple sipgate Nos, but needs hardware (e.g. suitable router)
    to ring one phone.
    7. can be done with some hardware, or asterix.
    8. no one can do that at present

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jan 8, 2008

  3. Homeworker

    Jono Guest

    Martin² submitted this idea :
    > asterix

    The Gaul?

    ASTERISK

    :)

    Jono, Jan 8, 2008
  4. Homeworker

    Woody Guest

    "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    > Well, yes, there are lots of deals and largely thanks to Betamax, it
    > is a major pain to try to work out which one to go for. Then there are
    > all sorts of cheap deals on landline calls too, making any savings via
    > VoIP fairly minimal.
    > And most of us have mobile contract deal too.
    >
    > In my own (fairly special) case, (I don't have a landline :) I gave
    > up on Betamax etc. and just stick with
    > sipgate.co.uk.
    > It gives me rental free UK geo. landline No., I use it for 0800
    > calls, infrequent foreign calls, and of course free calls to other
    > VoIP users.
    > It works just fine ( I have QoS VoIP router ) and I pay very little
    > (just for the foreign calls).
    >
    > It easily covers 'Homeworker's' first 5 points.
    > 6. can have multiple sipgate Nos, but needs hardware (e.g. suitable
    > router) to ring one phone.
    > 7. can be done with some hardware, or asterix.
    > 8. no one can do that at present

    Likewise with voip.co.uk - 'cept they don't participate in inter-voip
    dialling by access code, so the only free calls are to other voip.co.uk
    users.

    To the OP - note that it is voip, not viop. (Yes, I've got a dyslexic
    keybrod as well!)

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

    Woody, Jan 8, 2008
  5. Homeworker

    alexd Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 01:02:34 +0000, Homeworker wrote:

    > is it just me or is voip confusing .......
    >
    > i have always foud the plethora of mobile deals confusing and hard to
    > workout best value .............

    And if things were simple you'd be whinging about the lack of choice :)

    > VOIPS even more confusing ,ther seems to be a collection of companies
    > offering service but everyone seems to have a mixed views on them , i
    > see a compnay with good reviews then days later someones tearing them
    > apart ....there doesnt seem to be any clear winner at the moment .....

    That's the trouble with opinions, they're like assholes - everyone's got
    one.

    > maybe the markets not mature enough yet ? would youagree ?

    Not at all. I suspect, however, that calls will effectively be unmetered
    when bundled with mobile, fixed line and broadband contracts before VoIP
    ever reaches a large part of the population, effectively eliminating or
    even negating the cost savings.

    > Except maybe SKYPE ..i say this mainly as its the only well known
    > brand in the market ... but i get the general feeling its the AOL of the
    > viop market
    > ..maybe along the lines of Viop for dummies ...or thats the impression
    > some people give ...its easy to set up and use but never best value ?
    > and due to its popularity with the dummies its service can be erratic ?

    Skype always worked when I used it. I stopped using it because I moved to
    64-bit before they had a 64-bit version. When I finally did install it
    again, they'd wiped my credit [but not, er, closed my account]. My advice
    is to give any of the eBay group of companies a wide berth, and if you
    absolutely have to use them, only trust them with small amounts of money.

    > Also is viop really a service you should only set up and useif you
    > REALLY have
    > a need for it ..one thing that confuses me is the costs ......... calls
    > arent really free
    > are they and landline/mobile calls are so cheap now theres no REAL
    > saving is there?

    Once you factor in equipment costs, it may take a loooong time to see a
    return on your investment. If, however, you're doing it just for a bit of
    fun, or to fulfil a specific need that existing PSTN services cannot,
    then go for it.

    > if yourplanning to keep your exisitng land line and mobile ?

    If you've got a BT landline you can use access codes and call throughs
    that will get you rates competitive with VoIP.

    > Phew .. services ! theres seems to be plethora of services available
    > but no one
    > central place thats list available services so you can try and guage
    > whatbothering to services
    > you might need ? nothing worse than signing up for aservice to read
    > about feature you would reallylike

    There are plenty of things worse than that. The trick is to do your
    research before you commit too much. The beauty of SIP is that any SIP
    equipment/software should work with any SIP provider, so your main
    capital costs will be protected should you decide to switch supplier.
    Many services are PAYG anyway so it's not like you've got a lot to lose.
    And you can even use a softphone to prototype it on your PC before you
    spend anything.

    > I have a small list of my OWN must haves at the moment ..anyone know a
    > decent
    > company that can suffice
    >

    > 1. ability to prepay by paypal

    If you drop this one you'll get a wider choice.

    > 2. no monthly service charge
    > 3. good rates
    > 4. no contract
    > 5. ability to choose a local number
    > 6. multiple numbers to 1 viop line

    I suggest you use hardware or software that allows you to register
    multiple accounts. This will bring you flexibility on pricing, call
    routing &c.

    > 7.different rings for different numbers

    In theory it can be done with SIP, but I haven't seen any service
    providers that offer it. OTOH, I've never looked.

    > 8. ability to port in Bt numbers

    Plenty of operators can do that.

    > an collection of othr features i dont know i need yt likely

    That's a tough one to answer.

    Sipgate fits the bill for most of your requirements. If you mix and match
    from different service providers you will get better control over call
    costs. VoIP certainly makes more sense on Cable where a) you don't have
    to pay line rental to have broadband and b) the call costs are eye-
    watering.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    07:41:44 up 2 days, 22:05, 2 users, load average: 1.09, 1.12, 1.14

    alexd, Jan 8, 2008
  6. In article <>,
    Martin² <> wrote:

    >8. no one can do that at present

    the OP's No. 8 was:

    >> 8. ability to port in Bt numbers

    And your claim that no-one can do it is quite wrong, as several VoIP
    providers have the ability to do this, either directly or via their
    wholesale upstreams...

    However, I'd suggest that it's not a "domestic" service but more of a
    "business" service, so you ought to be prepared to pay for it.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Jan 8, 2008
  7. Homeworker

    Stephen Guest

    Re: voip - - confused u will be !/ your small list

    Dear Homeworker

    You should also consider the types of support and location of the
    providers infrastructure as these might be more important than the other
    items on your list such as price. So best is to test a few for quality
    (as experienced by you over your connection) and support.

    As per your last line some other feature may well factor in, for example
    virtual fax services (which we do with VoIP accounts).

    Regards
    Stephen

    Stephen, Jan 8, 2008
  8. Homeworker

    Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 01:02:34 GMT, "Homeworker" <>
    wrote:

    >are they and landline/mobile calls are so cheap now theres no REAL saving is
    >there?if yourplanning to keep your exisitng land line and mobile ?

    No saving at all I have 500 free minutes airtime on my mobile and have
    never come close to the 500 yet .
    VOIP was just a gimmick to encourage people to spend money on ATA's
    etc in the first instance and to avoid extortionate BT call charges
    but now with all the free mobile minutes that are around and services
    like 18866.com who provide a Geo number to call via mobile there
    really isn't any need for voip at all .

    , Jan 8, 2008
  9. wrote in

    > On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 01:02:34 GMT, "Homeworker" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>are they and landline/mobile calls are so cheap now theres no REAL
    >>saving is there?if yourplanning to keep your exisitng land line and
    >>mobile ?

    > No saving at all I have 500 free minutes airtime on my mobile and have
    > never come close to the 500 yet .
    > VOIP was just a gimmick to encourage people to spend money on ATA's
    > etc in the first instance and to avoid extortionate BT call charges
    > but now with all the free mobile minutes that are around and services
    > like 18866.com who provide a Geo number to call via mobile there
    > really isn't any need for voip at all .

    You will be struck down for heresay!
    But.... I fear you are right. For most home users - let me repeat that
    - for Most Home Users - voip is a technology solution looking for a
    question.
    The call charges are not competitive when you look at all the other
    packages available (mobile / landline); the technology is unweildy
    (unless you buy a locked ATA); the call quality can be flaky (unless you
    have the nouce to be able to deal with the hardware).
    I suspect voip's time will come, but it's not now!

    Mike the unimaginative, Jan 8, 2008
  10. Homeworker

    Herman Guest

    "Mike the unimaginative" <> wrote in message
    > wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 01:02:34 GMT, "Homeworker" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>are they and landline/mobile calls are so cheap now theres no REAL
    >>>saving is there?if yourplanning to keep your exisitng land line and
    >>>mobile ?

    >> No saving at all I have 500 free minutes airtime on my mobile and have
    >> never come close to the 500 yet .
    >> VOIP was just a gimmick to encourage people to spend money on ATA's
    >> etc in the first instance and to avoid extortionate BT call charges
    >> but now with all the free mobile minutes that are around and services
    >> like 18866.com who provide a Geo number to call via mobile there
    >> really isn't any need for voip at all .
    >>

    > You will be struck down for heresay!
    > But.... I fear you are right. For most home users - let me repeat that
    > - for Most Home Users - voip is a technology solution looking for a
    > question.
    > The call charges are not competitive when you look at all the other
    > packages available (mobile / landline); the technology is unweildy
    > (unless you buy a locked ATA); the call quality can be flaky (unless you
    > have the nouce to be able to deal with the hardware).
    > I suspect voip's time will come, but it's not now!

    I don't know about other users, but for me it IS a question of cost. I am
    sure that I could get a similar sort of costing through various override
    codes on a standard fixed line + mobile. However I find it a lot easier
    (and actually cheaper in my set-up) to get technology to do the hard bit of
    least cost routing. Oh and I forgot all the benefits you don't get with
    conventional services (call forking conditional divert, ...) or other
    services you pay through the nose for (ACR, call blocking).

    I agree with you though that the technology is unweildy, and that is a big
    factor in what is stopping it becoming mainstream. However the likes of
    Tesco and Vonage are the ones that will make it mainstream. Unfortunately
    Skype destroys that to some extent (and yes Skype is VOIP, unfortunately)
    because people see VOIP as a softphone, with all the restrictions that
    gives.

    Not quite heresy, but an opinion I don't entirely agree with!

    Herman, Jan 9, 2008
  11. Homeworker

    Iain Guest

    Mike the unimaginative wrote:

    > You will be struck down for heresay!

    Hearsay or heresy?

    > But.... I fear you are right. For most home users - let me repeat that
    > - for Most Home Users - voip is a technology solution looking for a
    > question.

    If you really can't see the advantages, you can't use telephones much.
    VOIP allows you to have multiple lines without extra line rental, free
    call forwarding and call forking. It allows you to take your number with
    you when you move - to anywhere in the world. It

    > The call charges are not competitive when you look at all the other
    > packages available (mobile / landline);

    Nothing like true.

    > the technology is unweildy
    > (unless you buy a locked ATA);

    Rubbish. You can buy devices ready set up but not locked. You can easily
    set up devices. For example, look at the help that Sipgate gives: shows
    you exactly what to put in for laods of different devices.

    > the call quality can be flaky (unless you
    > have the nouce to be able to deal with the hardware).

    Well, the same can be said of tin openers. If you don't know how to use
    it, it won't work.

    > I suspect voip's time will come, but it's not now!

    Suspect? I've got news for you, sunshine. POTS is obsolete and BT are in
    the process of replacing the whole lot of it with VOIP. They wouldn't do
    that without good reason.

    Iain

    Iain, Jan 9, 2008
  12. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest

    I was in a shop and it had a VOIP phone for £6 .. jeex just
    gotta try it , soooo I have plugged it in .. it actually works !
    The phone forces sign up to SKYPE , now done and
    the line is incredibly clear , its better than my standard
    phone line ... so i am impressed with VOIP ...now for
    the learning curve though ...

    now i signed up for account with skype but
    didnt actually give htem ny money or card details

    So who can i sign up with next for some decent free call tim to
    expirement ......

    PAUL

    Homeworker, Jan 10, 2008
  13. Homeworker

    alexd Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:58:22 +0000, Homeworker wrote:

    > I was in a shop and it had a VOIP phone for £6 .. jeex just gotta try it
    > , soooo I have plugged it in .. it actually works !

    > So who can i sign up with next for some decent free call tim to
    > expirement ......

    Sipgate will give you calls to other members and 0800 numbers without
    having to add credit. Hopefully your six quid "phone" will work with X-
    Lite. Does it have a model number?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    16:33:28 up 5 days, 6:57, 2 users, load average: 1.13, 1.19, 1.17

    alexd, Jan 10, 2008
  14. Homeworker

    Iain Guest

    Homeworker wrote:
    > I was in a shop and it had a VOIP phone for £6 .. jeex just
    > gotta try it , soooo I have plugged it in .. it actually works !

    No, it doesn't. It is mostly just mic and earpiece: it is using the PC
    it's plugged into to do all the work. You surely sdon't want to have a
    PC running nearby whenever you make or receive a phone call.

    > The phone forces sign up to SKYPE

    Is that the police forces who warn us about being asked to dial *90# ?

    > , now done and
    > the line is incredibly clear , its better than my standard
    > phone line ...

    That'll be for a skype-skype call, restricted to the Skye nerd-nerd
    network. Try calls to or from real phones and it is a different story.
    Luckily, with other VOIP systems you can choose the quality you want by
    selecting different codecs.

    so i am impressed with VOIP ...now for
    > the learning curve though ...

    That's the good bit about Skype. It is very Plug 'n Play. It's also a
    snag, becasue you'll not have learned anything from using it.

    > now i signed up for account with skype but
    > didnt actually give htem ny money or card details
    >
    > So who can i sign up with next for some decent free call tim to
    > expirement ......

    Because Skype is a proprietory system not used by any other supplier,
    there is no price competition for Skype call prices. So if you want a
    decent deal, you'll have to start again with proper SIP VOIP.

    Iain, Jan 11, 2008
  15. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest

    "you'll have to start again with proper SIP VOIP."

    you seem knowlegable ! .. are YOU prepared to step me thru it

    where would YOU start

    Homeworker, Jan 11, 2008
  16. Homeworker

    alexd Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:17:12 +0000, Homeworker wrote:

    > "you'll have to start again with proper SIP VOIP."
    >
    > you seem knowlegable ! .. are YOU prepared to step me thru it
    >
    > where would YOU start

    Register an account with Sipgate and download X-Lite from them. Simple
    as. On the other hand, if Skype does what you want then why bother?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    16:04:03 up 6 days, 6:28, 2 users, load average: 1.84, 1.74, 1.64

    alexd, Jan 11, 2008
  17. Homeworker

    Iain Guest

    Homeworker wrote:
    > "you'll have to start again with proper SIP VOIP."
    >
    > you seem knowlegable ! .. are YOU prepared to step me thru it
    >
    > where would YOU start

    I would either start with voip.co.uk or with sipgate.co.uk, using a
    software phone to begin with (you can download x-lite pre-configured for
    your Sipgate account from their website, but the setup for voip.co.uk is
    even easier)

    When I was happy it was working properly, I'd then buy a PAP2T from
    Provu and use that, with one or two ordinary phones plugged into it.

    Iain, Jan 11, 2008
  18. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest

    thanks i will sign upwith sipgate and start the
    learning process
    voip.co.uk seem to have a less friendly website , theres nowhere to sign
    up thats obvious an residential plans seem to be suspended

    PAUL

    Homeworker, Jan 12, 2008
  19. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest

    Ok Signed up (sip ) xgte lite ..interesting ..inititially its a internal
    speaker
    /microphone ste up , a i dont have a microphone it didnt work

    So i plugged in my cheap £6 phone and it worked , quality of sound
    seems great in the six or so test calls so far .i am on a virgin internet
    braodband line . Cheap phone keynboard has no effect whatsoever in terms
    of using it for calling /adjusting things etc but you can hear and recive
    calls
    from people ............also it doent ring when the cheap phone is plugged
    in ,
    neither the xgate lite on screen ,or the cheap phone so ONLY way to tell if
    a call is coming in at moment is ON SCREEN

    The phone for someone who asked in a previous thread is POWER PLUS
    - no model number , it has plin siple red led behind the non existant sceen
    and
    is white with a silver trim,softwarsomes ona SMALLER than normal cd

    I HATE the number that was issued by sipgte , i only had one choice as its
    totally
    not memorable ...but hey its FREE and i also note now they DONT
    transfer/port in BT numbers

    Surely somebody Somewhere has put a list of voip features on the web and a
    list
    of service providers to compare features among suppliers ?

    Homeworker, Jan 12, 2008
  20. Homeworker

    Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:52:34 GMT, "Homeworker" <>
    wrote:

    >thanks i will sign upwith sipgate and start the
    >learning process
    >voip.co.uk seem to have a less friendly website , theres nowhere to sign
    >up thats obvious an residential plans seem to be suspended

    Seems voip.co.uk no longer want to know about residential customers
    I emailed them a week ago and they haven't had the decency to reply,
    I have now signed up with voipfone and up to now received good
    service.

    , Jan 12, 2008