VOIP CONFIGURATION

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Syed Khairuddin, Jul 12, 2007.

  1. Hello,

    I was working with Microsoft products previously and now I have
    changed my mind to switch to cisco networks. My company has decided to
    go with VOIP SOLUTION as our branches are connected with MPLS network.
    The project given to me is this way. I have to connect 2 sites which
    includes my head office and branch office to use voip (both the
    branches are already connected using MPLS network). My head office is
    having a PBX which will be integrated with voip and my branch office
    is not having any kind of PBX system.

    Note: It will be a pilot project so please suggest a cheap hardware
    only for 2 sites if its approved then we will be buy good router in
    our head office to connect all other branches.

    1) What kind of cisco routers shall I buy for both Sites ?
    2) what kind of modules shall be intalled in CISCO router to start ?
    3) What kind of IOS ?
    4) Do I need to do something in my PBX ( Nortel Meridian)? for the
    integration in my head office ?
    5) Which books do you prefer as a beginner ?

    I hope the above mentioned scenario is completely transparent by any
    chance if you feel that i havent provided you the complete information
    dont hesitate to ask. Your earliest response will be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Syed

    Syed Khairuddin, Jul 12, 2007

  2. Syed Khairuddin

    James Guest

    Hi Syed,

    More information is needed:-

    How many users / handsets do you have / want at each site?
    Is your MPLS circuit configured for Voice i.e. does it have a EF class
    for the RTP traffic and a class for signaling?
    What Interfaces on the Meridian which can be used to connect to the
    router - E&M, FXS, E1 etc
    Or would it be much simpler to install Nortel IP phones in the branch
    office which use the Meridian for call processing?

    Books wise, most of the Cisco Press voice books are excellent. Cisco
    Voice Gateways and Gatekeepers would probably be a good start as it
    should cover the kind of thing you are trying to do here.

    James

    James, Jul 13, 2007

  3. Hello James,

    Thanks for your reply.
    1) I have only 3 users in my branch office
    2)I have normal telephone sets which we uses at home in my branch
    office
    3)1 hand set at branch office
    4)Yes my MPLS circuit is configured for voice.

    Thanks
    syed

    Syed Khairuddin, Jul 13, 2007
  4. Syed Khairuddin

    James Guest

    In that case, if I was you and it is possible I would install Nortel
    IP Handset's in your branch office which use you existing Nortel PBX
    for call processing. This should be far more cost effective than
    using Cisco hardware and you should have all the same functionality on
    the branch office handsets that you get from the set conencted to the
    Nortel PBX (presuming that you are using Nortel digital sets).

    James

    James, Jul 16, 2007
  5. Syed Khairuddin

    Arthur Brain Guest

    James wrote:
    > In that case, if I was you and it is possible I would install Nortel
    > IP Handset's in your branch office which use you existing Nortel PBX
    > for call processing. This should be far more cost effective than
    > using Cisco hardware and you should have all the same functionality on
    > the branch office handsets that you get from the set conencted to the
    > Nortel PBX (presuming that you are using Nortel digital sets).
    >
    > James

    Therefore your issues are these:

    - Switches at each site must recognise voice frames and honour their
    QoS markings.
    Usually if the phones & switches are the same Vendor, this will be
    easy.
    If they are different Vendors, the switch needs to be configured to
    "Trust" QoS markings put on by the phones.
    If the phones can't make QoS markings(unlikely!), the switch will need
    to use policy-based QoS markings (ie use an access list to match VoIP
    packets, then a policy for assigning QoS to them).
    Generally the voice traffic and data traffic will be on different
    VLANs - this means you might need to learn how your switches can be
    configured to trunk two VLANs between the phones and router.
    - Routers on each site must honour the QoS.
    - MPLS network must have Classes of Service which are based on your
    QoS markings and prioritises voice packets.

    If you already have Nortel PABX, don't even think about going Cisco -
    Nortel gear is far cheaper even if you have to buy the whole system
    from scratch, and a Cisco Call Manager, etc... is very expensive.

    Arthur Brain, Jul 16, 2007
  6. Syed Khairuddin

    James Guest

    > - Switches at each site must recognise voice frames and honour their
    > QoS markings.
    > Usually if the phones & switches are the same Vendor, this will be
    > easy.
    > If they are different Vendors, the switch needs to be configured to
    > "Trust" QoS markings put on by the phones.
    > If the phones can't make QoS markings(unlikely!), the switch will need
    > to use policy-based QoS markings (ie use an access list to match VoIP
    > packets, then a policy for assigning QoS to them).
    > Generally the voice traffic and data traffic will be on different
    > VLANs - this means you might need to learn how your switches can be
    > configured to trunk two VLANs between the phones and router.

    With only three users in the branch office I wouldn't bother with QOS
    on the LAN.

    James

    James, Jul 16, 2007
  7. Syed Khairuddin

    Arthur Brain Guest

    James wrote:
    > > - Switches at each site must recognise voice frames and honour their
    > > QoS markings.
    > > Usually if the phones & switches are the same Vendor, this will be
    > > easy.
    > > If they are different Vendors, the switch needs to be configured to
    > > "Trust" QoS markings put on by the phones.
    > > If the phones can't make QoS markings(unlikely!), the switch will need
    > > to use policy-based QoS markings (ie use an access list to match VoIP
    > > packets, then a policy for assigning QoS to them).
    > > Generally the voice traffic and data traffic will be on different
    > > VLANs - this means you might need to learn how your switches can be
    > > configured to trunk two VLANs between the phones and router.

    > With only three users in the branch office I wouldn't bother with QOS
    > on the LAN.
    >
    > James

    I totally, 100%, agree (you would NOT believe the rubbish I have had
    to listen to on THAT score from a certain 3rd-rate Swedish purveyor of
    VoIP equipment...), but he should try to use Classes of Service
    through his WAN link provider, to minimise the possibility of his boss
    getting a bad impression of the reliability of VoIP from the outset.

    Arthur Brain, Jul 16, 2007