    Many thanks.
    Best,
    Nic

    Nic, Oct 8, 2006

  2. Nic

    Jono Guest

    Nic brought next idea :
    > Hi,
    > I'm looking for a software useful to manage audio conferences (minimum 50
    > users).
    > I know that Skype allows a maximum of 4 users.
    > Do you know some other products which can be used for this purpose?
    > Many thanks.
    > Best,
    > Nic

    You'd have to have some bandwidth for that many simultaneous calls. You
    could install asterisk or Trixbox to do this.

    Alternatively, I'm sure a voipfone virtual pbx ought to be able to do
    this, at a cost. (99p per month per extension).......(does voipfone
    offer conferencing?)

    Jono, Oct 8, 2006

  3. Nic

    Daviey Guest

    On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 21:40 +0200, Nic wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm looking for a software useful to manage audio conferences (minimum 50
    > users).
    > I know that Skype allows a maximum of 4 users.
    > Do you know some other products which can be used for this purpose?
    > Many thanks.
    > Best,
    > Nic

    If your looking for a DIY approach then Asterisk itself can handle a
    conference call that large. However, the real question is how do you
    get the calls to the box.

    VOIP -> Would need adequate Internet access
    PSTN -> Would need lots of lines ;)

    A hosted PBX service would solve the above issues and probably not cost
    *that* much.

    A solution that many small business's use is an access number that lets
    you dial into a conference being held on the access numbers server.
    This would be an 0845/0870 number.

    Daviey, Oct 8, 2006
  4. In article <45295432$0$39884$>, Nic <none> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >I'm looking for a software useful to manage audio conferences (minimum 50
    >users).
    >I know that Skype allows a maximum of 4 users.
    >Do you know some other products which can be used for this purpose?

    Asterix can be used, but you're looking at a high-end server PC and
    an Internet connection of at least 4Mb/sec bi-directional using g711
    codecs. (so no home ADSL-MAX service here!) Obviously less if you are
    willing to use something like the GSM codec.

    And while that is not hard to provide, you're highly unlikely to
    get it for free.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Oct 9, 2006
  5. In article <1160342050.5125.4.camel@localhost>,
    Daviey <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 21:40 +0200, Nic wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm looking for a software useful to manage audio conferences (minimum 50
    >> users).
    >> I know that Skype allows a maximum of 4 users.
    >> Do you know some other products which can be used for this purpose?
    >> Many thanks.
    >> Best,
    >> Nic
    >>

    >If your looking for a DIY approach then Asterisk itself can handle a
    >conference call that large. However, the real question is how do you
    >get the calls to the box.
    >
    >VOIP -> Would need adequate Internet access
    >PSTN -> Would need lots of lines ;)

    2 x ISDN 30's to start with, and if you use 0845/0870 type numbers,
    then these can be used to help offset the cost of installation.

    Or use a PSTN <-> VoIP carrier and have the calls delivered over a single
    IAX trunk from the carrier to the Asterix server and back again. This
    would be much more Internet bandwidth efficient than the same number of
    incoming SIP calls, but it all depends on what the OP wants - if they
    are looking for cheap conferencing from geographically distant locations
    then this might not be suitable...

    >A hosted PBX service would solve the above issues and probably not cost
    >*that* much.

    It all depends on the bandwidth usage. A lot of hosting companies offer
    "Up to 100Mb" (or more) connections, but they are relying on the typical
    bursty nature of web accesses, rather than the full-on streaming of a
    PXB hosting a conference!

    >A solution that many small business's use is an access number that lets
    >you dial into a conference being held on the access numbers server.
    >This would be an 0845/0870 number.

    Or just use BT MeetMe ...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Oct 9, 2006
  6. Nic

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 08:26:25 +0000 (UTC),
    (Gordon Henderson) wrote:

    >In article <45295432$0$39884$>, Nic <none> wrote:
    >>Hi,
    >>I'm looking for a software useful to manage audio conferences (minimum 50
    >>users).
    >>I know that Skype allows a maximum of 4 users.
    >>Do you know some other products which can be used for this purpose?

    >Asterix can be used, but you're looking at a high-end server PC and
    >an Internet connection of at least 4Mb/sec bi-directional using g711
    >codecs. (so no home ADSL-MAX service here!) Obviously less if you are
    >willing to use something like the GSM codec.
    >
    >And while that is not hard to provide, you're highly unlikely to
    >get it for free.
    >
    >Gordon

    You could use easypabx. There is some question about the reliabulity,
    in respect of down time, so you would have to take that into account,
    but it is free and hosted on line.
    www.easypabx.com
    Alternatively, you could use the conference call faclity provided by
    sipphone.com
    You only need to include sipbroker in your dial plan (no registration
    with Sipbroker is necessary as there is no username or password
    required) and then dial
    *747- 1 222 XXXXXXX
    where XXXXXXX is any number you choose. This number can also be
    accessed via a sipbroker PSTN access line. The number can be used
    ad-hoc. However, if someone stumbles upon your conference number
    (unlikely because there is often silence even on the 'party line'
    number 0000000.) they would be able to listen in.
    Check out
    http://tinyurl.com/lgc4k
    www.sipbroker.com
    www.sipphone.com

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Skype Free Zone!!

    Brian A, Oct 9, 2006
  7. Nic

    alexd Guest

    "Nic" <none> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm looking for a software useful to manage audio conferences (minimum 50
    > users).
    > I know that Skype allows a maximum of 4 users.
    > Do you know some other products which can be used for this purpose?
    > Many thanks.
    > Best,
    > Nic

    There are plenty of people listed at
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk Consultants United Kingdom
    who can set up an asterisk system to do this for you.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:33:56 up 5 days, 1:45, 4 users, load average: 0.07, 0.06, 0.09

    alexd, Oct 10, 2006