Voip.co.uk, voicemail and other features

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by PL, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. PL

    PL Guest

    I signed up with voip.co.uk at the end of last November and with the
    exception of a brief period in December, have been without voicemail
    services ever since (incoming calls don't divert to voicemail if my
    allocated number is engaged, if I don't answer the incoming call or if
    the MTA/broadband is offline). Enhanced voicemail is one of their
    standard features.

    I can dial the system #121 for 2 options (#2 to retrieve messages & #3
    to manage my personal greetings) but neither is of much value,
    currently, since the 'system' doesn't provide the 'where-with-all' for
    any callers to leave a message!

    Call quality is superb, but the lack of voicemail (and other 'features'
    such as call-forwarding) is a real bind. Does anyone else, signed up
    with voip.co.uk, have the same problems, or better still, have any
    reliable information from voip.co.uk as to when they expect the service
    to go fully functional?

    PL, Jan 6, 2006

  2. PL

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Fri, 6 Jan 2006, PL writes
    >I signed up with voip.co.uk at the end of last November and with the
    >exception of a brief period in December, have been without voicemail
    >services ever since (incoming calls don't divert to voicemail if my
    >allocated number is engaged, if I don't answer the incoming call or if
    >the MTA/broadband is offline). Enhanced voicemail is one of their
    >standard features.
    >
    >I can dial the system #121 for 2 options (#2 to retrieve messages & #3
    >to manage my personal greetings) but neither is of much value,
    >currently, since the 'system' doesn't provide the 'where-with-all' for
    >any callers to leave a message!
    >
    >Call quality is superb, but the lack of voicemail (and other 'features'
    >such as call-forwarding) is a real bind. Does anyone else, signed up
    >with voip.co.uk, have the same problems, or better still, have any
    >reliable information from voip.co.uk as to when they expect the service
    >to go fully functional?

    Join the club!

    And I'm wondering what Trading Standards people might have to say in
    view of their misleading statements on their webpage.

    DF

    David Floyd, Jan 6, 2006

  3. PL

    PL Guest

    David Floyd wrote:

    > Join the club!
    >
    > And I'm wondering what Trading Standards people might have to say in
    > view of their misleading statements on their webpage.
    >
    > DF

    David

    I'm not really interested in pursuing the TS's route because when
    voip.co.uk eventually sort out the voicemail and roll out their T38
    gateway and fax to email service, the overall package is going to hard
    to better.

    As it happens, I got an email from Theo earlier this evening and I've
    been testing the voicemail, with a great deal of success. Incoming
    calls (from my BT landline, 18866 carrier and mobile phones {02 and 3
    networks}) were transfering to voicemail when the MTA was offline and if
    not answered.

    Progress. I'm pleased.

    PL, Jan 6, 2006
  4. PL

    PL Guest

    David Floyd wrote:

    > Join the club!
    >
    > And I'm wondering what Trading Standards people might have to say in
    > view of their misleading statements on their webpage.
    >
    > DF

    David

    I'm not really interested in pursuing the TS's route because when
    voip.co.uk eventually sort out the voicemail and roll out their T38
    gateway and fax to email service, the overall package is going to be
    hard to better.

    As it happens, I got an email from Theo earlier this evening and I've
    been testing the voicemail, with a great deal of success. Incoming
    calls (from my BT landline, with / without 18866 carrier and mobile

    PL, Jan 6, 2006
  5. PL

    NutCracker Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 21:19:06 +0000, PL <> wrote:

    >David Floyd wrote:
    >

    >> Join the club!
    >>
    >> And I'm wondering what Trading Standards people might have to say in
    >> view of their misleading statements on their webpage.
    >>
    >> DF

    >David
    >
    >I'm not really interested in pursuing the TS's route because when
    >voip.co.uk eventually sort out the voicemail and roll out their T38
    >gateway and fax to email service, the overall package is going to hard
    >to better.
    >
    >As it happens, I got an email from Theo earlier this evening and I've
    >been testing the voicemail, with a great deal of success. Incoming
    >calls (from my BT landline, 18866 carrier and mobile phones {02 and 3
    >networks}) were transfering to voicemail when the MTA was offline and if
    >not answered.
    >
    >Progress. I'm pleased.

    Well it's not working for me. Have been in contact with support and there still
    looking into it (has been passed to their tech support chaps apparently).

    Theo, if you your reading this, please get in contact - I'd like to get this
    voicemail stuff sorted! (ticket number 461)

    NutCracker, Jan 6, 2006
  6. PL

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 21:23:31 +0000, PL <>
    wrote:

    >David Floyd wrote:
    >

    >> Join the club!
    >>
    >> And I'm wondering what Trading Standards people might have to say in
    >> view of their misleading statements on their webpage.
    >>
    >> DF

    >David
    >
    >I'm not really interested in pursuing the TS's route because when
    >voip.co.uk eventually sort out the voicemail and roll out their T38
    >gateway and fax to email service, the overall package is going to be
    >hard to better.
    >
    >As it happens, I got an email from Theo earlier this evening and I've
    >been testing the voicemail, with a great deal of success. Incoming
    >calls (from my BT landline, with / without 18866 carrier and mobile
    >phones {02 and 3 networks}) were transfering to voicemail when the MTA
    >was offline and if not answered.
    >
    >Progress. I'm pleased.

    I have never had voicemail working except if I disconnect my ATA. The
    reliability of voip.co.uk seems to be good though and I am happy with
    the pricing. When I tried the voicemail it was very basic - once the
    mesage had been heard it automatically deleted leaving no opportunity
    to listen again.
    HOWEVER, having read this posting I have now retried what I have done
    before in setting up my ATA for voicemail - and now IT WORKS !! at
    last.
    I set my ATA to divert to:

    where XXX is the 3 digit voicemail ID number.
    On the Sipura SPA-3000 you can set the following to the above setting:
    Call Forwarding:-
    Cfwd No Ans Dest:
    AND
    Cfwd Busy Dest:

    Set 'Cfwd No Ans Delay:' to the delay time you want before the divert
    to voicemail.

    I also tried it without doing any settings. The voicemail works on 'no
    answer' after one minute.

    Then I tried entering 'fredbloggs' into the setting for 'Cfwd No Ans
    Dest:' and it still diverted to voicemail after the period of time set
    by 'Cfwd No Ans Delay:'
    Conclusion: It doesn't matter what you enter for 'Cfwd No Ans Delay:'
    providing you enter something - that way you can set the time delay
    before divert occurs.

    So, in short it is now working but still has the problem of auto
    deleting.

    Additionally I tried the selective call forwarding settings but
    whatever I entered I still got the voicemail.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Jan 6, 2006
  7. PL

    NutCracker Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 23:49:34 GMT, Brian A <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 21:23:31 +0000, PL <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>David Floyd wrote:
    >>

    >>> Join the club!
    >>>
    >>> And I'm wondering what Trading Standards people might have to say in
    >>> view of their misleading statements on their webpage.
    >>>
    >>> DF

    >>David
    >>
    >>I'm not really interested in pursuing the TS's route because when
    >>voip.co.uk eventually sort out the voicemail and roll out their T38
    >>gateway and fax to email service, the overall package is going to be
    >>hard to better.
    >>
    >>As it happens, I got an email from Theo earlier this evening and I've
    >>been testing the voicemail, with a great deal of success. Incoming
    >>calls (from my BT landline, with / without 18866 carrier and mobile
    >>phones {02 and 3 networks}) were transfering to voicemail when the MTA
    >>was offline and if not answered.
    >>
    >>Progress. I'm pleased.

    >I have never had voicemail working except if I disconnect my ATA. The
    >reliability of voip.co.uk seems to be good though and I am happy with
    >the pricing. When I tried the voicemail it was very basic - once the
    >mesage had been heard it automatically deleted leaving no opportunity
    >to listen again.
    >HOWEVER, having read this posting I have now retried what I have done
    >before in setting up my ATA for voicemail - and now IT WORKS !! at
    >last.
    >I set my ATA to divert to:
    >
    >where XXX is the 3 digit voicemail ID number.
    >On the Sipura SPA-3000 you can set the following to the above setting:
    >Call Forwarding:-
    >Cfwd No Ans Dest:
    >AND
    >Cfwd Busy Dest:
    >
    >Set 'Cfwd No Ans Delay:' to the delay time you want before the divert
    >to voicemail.
    >
    >I also tried it without doing any settings. The voicemail works on 'no
    >answer' after one minute.
    >
    >Then I tried entering 'fredbloggs' into the setting for 'Cfwd No Ans
    >Dest:' and it still diverted to voicemail after the period of time set
    >by 'Cfwd No Ans Delay:'
    >Conclusion: It doesn't matter what you enter for 'Cfwd No Ans Delay:'
    >providing you enter something - that way you can set the time delay
    >before divert occurs.
    >
    >So, in short it is now working but still has the problem of auto
    >deleting.
    >
    >Additionally I tried the selective call forwarding settings but
    >whatever I entered I still got the voicemail.
    >
    >Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Excellent news! I can confirm as well that the VoiceMail functionality is now
    working for me (I also have the SPA-3000 and have configured as Brian has
    above). I'm able to leave a message on no answer or when the VOIP line is in
    use and calls get redirected to voicemail. I also receive an email indicating I
    have voicemail that I'm able to download and listen to via the voip.co.uk
    website.

    What I'm still not able to do is dial 121 to check for messages. I don't get
    the voicemail menu. So I believe there's still an outstanding issue - or I've
    not configured something correctly ?

    Brian, is 121 working for you ?

    NutCracker, Jan 7, 2006
  8. PL

    PL Guest

    Brian A wrote:

    > Set 'Cfwd No Ans Delay:' to the delay time you want before the divert
    > to voicemail.
    >
    > I also tried it without doing any settings. The voicemail works on 'no
    > answer' after one minute.

    You can alter the delay time to divert to voicemail in My Account
    (voip.co.uk) through

    Incoming Targets
    >List targets
    >Default Destination (double click) (your set up could be different here)
    >General
    >Timeout -> set

    I use a voip.co.uk MTA and currently have the delay set at 10 seconds

    PL, Jan 7, 2006
  9. PL

    NutCracker Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 10:01:55 +0000, PL <> wrote:

    >Brian A wrote:
    >

    >> Set 'Cfwd No Ans Delay:' to the delay time you want before the divert
    >> to voicemail.
    >>
    >> I also tried it without doing any settings. The voicemail works on 'no
    >> answer' after one minute.
    >>

    >You can alter the delay time to divert to voicemail in My Account
    >(voip.co.uk) through
    >
    >Incoming Targets
    > >List targets
    > >Default Destination (double click) (your set up could be different here)
    > >General
    > >Timeout -> set

    >I use a voip.co.uk MTA and currently have the delay set at 10 seconds

    Is anyone having problems making VOIP calls since some possible changes at
    voip.co.uk end ? Any calls I make now get terminated within 40-50 seconds!

    Arrghh!!

    NutCracker, Jan 7, 2006
  10. PL

    Jono Guest

    NutCracker wrote:
    || On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 10:01:55 +0000, PL
    || <> wrote:
    ||| You can alter the delay time to divert to voicemail in My Account
    ||| (voip.co.uk) through
    ||| Incoming Targets
    ||| I use a voip.co.uk MTA and currently have the delay set at 10
    ||| seconds
    || Is anyone having problems making VOIP calls since some possible
    || changes at voip.co.uk end ? Any calls I make now get terminated
    || within 40-50 seconds!
    || Arrghh!!

    Just had a successful 5 minute call. Very good quality audio.

    I am getting cut off at random intervals with Voipstunt, though.

    Jono, Jan 7, 2006
  11. PL

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Sat, 7 Jan 2006, NutCracker writes
    >On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 23:49:34 GMT, Brian A <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 21:23:31 +0000, PL <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>David
    >>>
    >>>I'm not really interested in pursuing the TS's route because when
    >>>voip.co.uk eventually sort out the voicemail and roll out their T38
    >>>gateway and fax to email service, the overall package is going to be
    >>>hard to better.

    I agree, I was just feeling a bit peeved at not hearing anything for a
    month, about what was going on.

    >Excellent news! I can confirm as well that the VoiceMail functionality is now
    >working for me (I also have the SPA-3000 and have configured as Brian has
    >above). I'm able to leave a message on no answer or when the VOIP line is in
    >use and calls get redirected to voicemail. I also receive an email
    >indicating I
    >have voicemail that I'm able to download and listen to via the voip.co.uk
    >website.

    That is good news. I've been trying it this morning and it does indeed
    work. Call forward to other destinations doesn't work though, despite
    their description of services on their web page.

    >What I'm still not able to do is dial 121 to check for messages. I don't get
    >the voicemail menu. So I believe there's still an outstanding issue - or I've
    >not configured something correctly ?

    It works for me. It could be your dial plan on your SPA3K. You need to
    specifically allow 121 in you dial plan or have a general one of xx. To
    allow all calls.

    What was upsetting me was the silence from voip.co.uk. I last heard
    from Theo on 8/12/05 when he was talking about including me in BETA
    testing; then silence. Not a thing, until this thread appeared.

    David Floyd, Jan 7, 2006
  12. PL

    Guest

    On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:10:44 +0000, David Floyd <>
    wrote:

    >What was upsetting me was the silence from voip.co.uk. I last heard
    >from Theo on 8/12/05 when he was talking about including me in BETA
    >testing; then silence. Not a thing, until this thread appeared.

    Yes, that had been concerning me. As voip.co.uk are new, it takes a
    leap of faith to start using their phone numbers with no number
    portability as a safety net if things don't turn out well.

    Theo's presence here in the newsgroup and responses by email were a
    major factor in making me feel happier.

    OK, he has a job to do and a life as well, I hope, but a month of
    vanishing was not a good sign.

    Having said all that, voip.co.uk does seem to be pretty reliable for
    phone calls, and the price is right.
    --
    Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html

    , Jan 7, 2006
  13. PL

    Brian A Guest

    >Brian, is 121 working for you ?

    Yes. Yhat has always worked for me.
    Make sure you have 1xx. included in your dial plan.
    That will cater for all numbers that begin with a 1 followed by 2 or
    more digits.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Jan 7, 2006
  14. PL

    NutCracker Guest

    On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:10:44 +0000, David Floyd <> wrote:

    >In message of Sat, 7 Jan 2006, NutCracker writes
    >>On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 23:49:34 GMT, Brian A <> wrote:

    >I agree, I was just feeling a bit peeved at not hearing anything for a
    >month, about what was going on.
    >
    >>Excellent news! I can confirm as well that the VoiceMail functionality is now
    >>working for me (I also have the SPA-3000 and have configured as Brian has
    >>above). I'm able to leave a message on no answer or when the VOIP line is in
    >>use and calls get redirected to voicemail. I also receive an email
    >>indicating I
    >>have voicemail that I'm able to download and listen to via the voip.co.uk
    >>website.
    >>

    >That is good news. I've been trying it this morning and it does indeed
    >work. Call forward to other destinations doesn't work though, despite
    >their description of services on their web page.
    >
    >>What I'm still not able to do is dial 121 to check for messages. I don't get
    >>the voicemail menu. So I believe there's still an outstanding issue - or I've
    >>not configured something correctly ?
    >>

    >It works for me. It could be your dial plan on your SPA3K. You need to
    >specifically allow 121 in you dial plan or have a general one of xx. To
    >allow all calls.
    >
    >What was upsetting me was the silence from voip.co.uk. I last heard
    >from Theo on 8/12/05 when he was talking about including me in BETA
    >testing; then silence. Not a thing, until this thread appeared.

    According to voip support, I shouldn't need to do anything specifically for 121
    in the dial plan (???)

    Anyway, here it is:

    (1xx.|<:00441622>[2-9]xxxxx.|xxxxxxxxxxxx.|<#1:>xx.<:mad:gw1>|<#2:>xx.<:mad:gw2>)

    Would that work ?

    NutCracker, Jan 7, 2006
  15. PL

    NutCracker Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 12:08:47 GMT, "Jono" <> wrote:

    >NutCracker wrote:
    >|| Is anyone having problems making VOIP calls since some possible
    >|| changes at voip.co.uk end ? Any calls I make now get terminated
    >|| within 40-50 seconds!
    >|| Arrghh!!
    >
    >Just had a successful 5 minute call. Very good quality audio.
    >
    >I am getting cut off at random intervals with Voipstunt, though.

    I'm wondering whether there's problems in my area ? When I call my house number
    from the voip line and the line get's dropped after about 50 secs, if I attempt
    to use the house line, I can't get a dialling tone - as if the carrier or
    something has kept the line open.

    NutCracker, Jan 7, 2006
  16. PL

    Brian A Guest

    wrote:

    >Brian A wrote:
    >

    >> Set 'Cfwd No Ans Delay:' to the delay time you want before the divert
    >> to voicemail.
    >>
    >> I also tried it without doing any settings. The voicemail works on 'no
    >> answer' after one minute.
    >>

    >You can alter the delay time to divert to voicemail in My Account
    >(voip.co.uk) through
    >
    >Incoming Targets
    > >List targets
    > >Default Destination (double click) (your set up could be different here)
    > >General
    > >Timeout -> set

    >I use a voip.co.uk MTA and currently have the delay set at 10 seconds

    I tried 'create new target'. I'm not sure what this is intended for as
    there are no instructions afaik. I thought it might be to divert the
    call to another destination but I didn't get very far with it.
    'Add Member' (currently a typo 'AddMemeber') didn't seem to do much
    either.
    Anyone any idea what these set up parameters are supposed to do?
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Jan 7, 2006
  17. PL

    Jono Guest

    NutCracker wrote:
    ||| Just had a successful 5 minute call. Very good quality audio.
    ||| I am getting cut off at random intervals with Voipstunt, though.
    || I'm wondering whether there's problems in my area ? When I call my
    || house number from the voip line and the line get's dropped after
    || about 50 secs, if I attempt to use the house line, I can't get a
    || dialling tone - as if the carrier or something has kept the line
    || open.

    It sounds more like a one-way audio issue, or no-way audio. The call is
    still in progress, which is why you don't get dial tone on your landline
    after the call's "dropped"

    I was getting exactly this issue last weekend when I attempted to swap my
    router to a Belkin one. Ended up putting my old one back in.

    Jono, Jan 7, 2006
  18. PL

    NutCracker Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 12:41:29 GMT, "Jono" <> wrote:

    >NutCracker wrote:
    >|| I'm wondering whether there's problems in my area ? When I call my
    >|| house number from the voip line and the line get's dropped after
    >|| about 50 secs, if I attempt to use the house line, I can't get a
    >|| dialling tone - as if the carrier or something has kept the line
    >|| open.
    >
    >It sounds more like a one-way audio issue, or no-way audio. The call is
    >still in progress, which is why you don't get dial tone on your landline
    >after the call's "dropped"
    >
    >I was getting exactly this issue last weekend when I attempted to swap my
    >router to a Belkin one. Ended up putting my old one back in.

    Well I've just had a 5 minute conversation with myself over Voipstunt (VOIP to
    PSTN) and it worked fine - none of this dropping the line within the minute like
    I'm seeing with Voip.co.uk.

    This is rather frustrating! Wife acceptance factor at the moment is zero.

    NutCracker, Jan 7, 2006
  19. PL

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Sat, 7 Jan 2006, NutCracker writes
    >On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:10:44 +0000, David Floyd <> wrote:
    >

    >>It works for me. It could be your dial plan on your SPA3K. You need to
    >>specifically allow 121 in you dial plan or have a general one of xx. To
    >>allow all calls.
    >>

    >According to voip support, I shouldn't need to do anything specifically for 121
    >in the dial plan (???)

    I didn't know that voip support specifically supported Sipura products!

    >Anyway, here it is:
    >
    >(1xx.|<:00441622>[2-9]xxxxx.|xxxxxxxxxxxx.|<#1:>xx.<:mad:gw1>|<#2:>xx.<:mad:gw2>)
    >

    >Would that work ?

    1xx. Should be OK. Although I have (121S0 |[etc.])

    David Floyd, Jan 7, 2006