voip.co.uk setup

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by adam c, Feb 16, 2006.

  1. adam c

    adam c Guest

    According to the diagram at [1], voip.co.uk require you to plug your
    PC/LAN connections into the MTA they supply. I understand that this will
    help with performance with the voip connection (I imagine that the MTA
    reserves some of the connection for itself).

    However, how much of a requirement is this? I have more than one
    computer attached to my ADSL router and so I would need to buy another
    router to manage this (something I'd prefer not to do). I have a very
    reliable 2Mb ADSL line, which can take a hammering at times (from
    downloading during off-peak hours).

    Also, can anyone confirm if the supplied MTA is locked or unlocked?
    Voip.co.uk seem to be a little slow in responding to my query.

    Thanks in advance.

    Adam

    [1] http://voip.co.uk/images/MTA102_DSL.png
    adam c, Feb 16, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. adam c wrote:
    > According to the diagram at [1], voip.co.uk require you to plug your
    > PC/LAN connections into the MTA they supply. I understand that this will
    > help with performance with the voip connection (I imagine that the MTA
    > reserves some of the connection for itself).
    >
    > However, how much of a requirement is this? I have more than one
    > computer attached to my ADSL router and so I would need to buy another
    > router to manage this (something I'd prefer not to do). I have a very
    > reliable 2Mb ADSL line, which can take a hammering at times (from
    > downloading during off-peak hours).
    >
    > Also, can anyone confirm if the supplied MTA is locked or unlocked?
    > Voip.co.uk seem to be a little slow in responding to my query.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Adam
    >

    When I signed up (a few days ago), I just got an email with some sip
    settings (when you log in to the site you have alot more control).

    No need to use any particular device.
    Thomas Kenyon, Feb 16, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. adam c

    adam c Guest

    Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    > adam c wrote:

    <Snip>
    >>
    >> Also, can anyone confirm if the supplied MTA is locked or unlocked?
    >> Voip.co.uk seem to be a little slow in responding to my query.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Adam
    >>

    > When I signed up (a few days ago), I just got an email with some sip
    > settings (when you log in to the site you have alot more control).
    >
    > No need to use any particular device.


    Thanks Thomas - I understand that there's no need to have a device.
    However, I was looking to buy a device anyway, and by purchasing from
    voip.co.uk this also bundles in their UK Option package, which provides
    free calls for weekends and evenings for a year. However, I definitely
    do not want to buy a locked device or a device which forces all my other
    devices (PCs) to go through it.

    Adam
    adam c, Feb 16, 2006
    #3
  4. adam c

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Thu, 16 Feb 2006, adam c writes
    >Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    >> adam c wrote:

    ><Snip>
    >>>
    >>> Also, can anyone confirm if the supplied MTA is locked or unlocked?
    >>> Voip.co.uk seem to be a little slow in responding to my query.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Adam
    >>>

    >> When I signed up (a few days ago), I just got an email with some sip
    >> settings (when you log in to the site you have alot more control).
    >>
    >> No need to use any particular device.

    >
    >Thanks Thomas - I understand that there's no need to have a device.


    Depends what you mean by 'no need to have a device'.

    You need an ATA, but you can use your own; it doesn't need to be one
    supplied by voip.co.uk

    I use a Sipura3000

    >However, I was looking to buy a device anyway, and by purchasing from
    >voip.co.uk this also bundles in their UK Option package,


    You can have their UK Option package for £19.99 per annum or £1.99 per
    month.
    David Floyd, Feb 16, 2006
    #4
  5. adam c

    Bill Taylor Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:43:07 +0000, adam c <> wrote:

    > According to the diagram at [1], voip.co.uk require you to plug your
    >PC/LAN connections into the MTA they supply. I understand that this will
    >help with performance with the voip connection (I imagine that the MTA
    >reserves some of the connection for itself).
    >
    > However, how much of a requirement is this? I have more than one
    >computer attached to my ADSL router and so I would need to buy another
    >router to manage this (something I'd prefer not to do). I have a very
    >reliable 2Mb ADSL line, which can take a hammering at times (from
    >downloading during off-peak hours).
    >
    > Also, can anyone confirm if the supplied MTA is locked or unlocked?
    >Voip.co.uk seem to be a little slow in responding to my query.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Adam
    >
    >[1] http://voip.co.uk/images/MTA102_DSL.png


    I have one of those, and don't connect the rest of my network through
    it. It all works fine; the only theoretical downside is that you don't
    get the qos facility that the ATA provides.

    Bill
    Bill Taylor, Feb 16, 2006
    #5
  6. adam c

    adam c Guest

    Bill Taylor wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:43:07 +0000, adam c <> wrote:
    >
    >> According to the diagram at [1], voip.co.uk require you to plug your
    >> PC/LAN connections into the MTA they supply. I understand that this will
    >> help with performance with the voip connection (I imagine that the MTA
    >> reserves some of the connection for itself).
    >>
    >> However, how much of a requirement is this? I have more than one
    >> computer attached to my ADSL router and so I would need to buy another
    >> router to manage this (something I'd prefer not to do). I have a very
    >> reliable 2Mb ADSL line, which can take a hammering at times (from
    >> downloading during off-peak hours).
    >>

    <Snip>

    >
    > I have one of those, and don't connect the rest of my network through
    > it. It all works fine; the only theoretical downside is that you don't
    > get the qos facility that the ATA provides.
    >
    > Bill


    Thanks for confirming that this will work. My ADSL/Router provides QOS
    to a particular IP address on the LAN, so I guess it will be a case of
    working out the IP address of the MTA and then applying QOS to that IP
    address.

    Adam
    adam c, Feb 16, 2006
    #6
  7. adam c

    adam c Guest

    David Floyd wrote:
    > In message of Thu, 16 Feb 2006, adam c writes
    >> Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    >>> adam c wrote:

    >> <Snip>
    >>>>
    >>>> Also, can anyone confirm if the supplied MTA is locked or unlocked?
    >>>> Voip.co.uk seem to be a little slow in responding to my query.
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>>
    >>>> Adam
    >>>>
    >>> When I signed up (a few days ago), I just got an email with some sip
    >>> settings (when you log in to the site you have alot more control).
    >>>
    >>> No need to use any particular device.

    >>
    >> Thanks Thomas - I understand that there's no need to have a device.

    >
    > Depends what you mean by 'no need to have a device'.
    >
    > You need an ATA, but you can use your own; it doesn't need to be one
    > supplied by voip.co.uk
    >


    Won't Voip.co.uk work on a softphone?

    Adam
    adam c, Feb 16, 2006
    #7
  8. adam c

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Thu, 16 Feb 2006, adam c writes
    >David Floyd wrote:
    >> In message of Thu, 16 Feb 2006, adam c writes
    >>> Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    >>>> adam c wrote:
    >>> <Snip>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Also, can anyone confirm if the supplied MTA is locked or unlocked?
    >>>>> Voip.co.uk seem to be a little slow in responding to my query.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Adam
    >>>>>
    >>>> When I signed up (a few days ago), I just got an email with some sip
    >>>> settings (when you log in to the site you have alot more control).
    >>>>
    >>>> No need to use any particular device.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks Thomas - I understand that there's no need to have a device.

    >>
    >> Depends what you mean by 'no need to have a device'.
    >>
    >> You need an ATA, but you can use your own; it doesn't need to be one
    >> supplied by voip.co.uk
    >>

    >
    >Won't Voip.co.uk work on a softphone?
    >


    I wouldn't know.
    D.
    David Floyd, Feb 16, 2006
    #8
  9. adam c

    Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:43:07 +0000, adam c <> wrote:

    >However, how much of a requirement is this?


    How much of a question is that?

    You can use the router in the ATA to provide QoS or you can not use
    it. Your call.

    >I have more than one
    >computer attached to my ADSL router and so I would need to buy another
    >router to manage this (something I'd prefer not to do).


    No, you would need to buy a switch. Not only do you not need a router,
    but you would also find it pointless. You can get a decent switch for
    around a tenner if you decide to connect through the ATA.

    >I have a very
    >reliable 2Mb ADSL line, which can take a hammering at times (from
    >downloading during off-peak hours).


    2Mb downlink, 0.25Mb uplink. Guess where the bottleneck will be!
    , Feb 16, 2006
    #9
  10. adam c

    Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:36:42 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    <> wrote:


    >When I signed up (a few days ago), I just got an email with some sip
    >settings (when you log in to the site you have alot more control).
    >
    >No need to use any particular device.

    I signed up with voip.co.UK last night I can dial out ok but can't
    receive incoming calls via the PSTN Chris at Voip UK told me it is
    a BT routing problem to my number and will be sorted asap .
    This again as reminded me of the fact that Sipgate is about the only
    Voip provider operating in the UK that a customer cannot contact by
    phone and get instant answers to any problems .
    , Feb 16, 2006
    #10
  11. adam c

    Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:53:41 +0000, adam c <> wrote:


    >Won't Voip.co.uk work on a softphone?

    Yes it will tried my account on my Eye beam softphone last night when
    I discovered I could not receive any incoming calls via my Sipura .
    , Feb 16, 2006
    #11
  12. adam c

    Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:10:24 GMT, wrote:

    >This again as reminded me of the fact that Sipgate is about the only
    >Voip provider operating in the UK that a customer cannot contact by
    >phone and get instant answers to any problems .


    Factually wrong, as ever.
    , Feb 16, 2006
    #12
  13. adam c

    adam c Guest

    adam c wrote:

    >
    > Also, can anyone confirm if the supplied MTA is locked or unlocked?
    > Voip.co.uk seem to be a little slow in responding to my query.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Adam
    >
    > [1] http://voip.co.uk/images/MTA102_DSL.png


    OK - after speaking to the nice people at voip.co.uk, it seems that the
    MTA they sell to you is unlocked although it initially defaults to their
    service. You can ask them for a password to change these settings which
    they will provide (so they say).

    If you go for a monthly option, which includes the MTA in that cost,
    this this is locked.

    Adam
    adam c, Feb 17, 2006
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Kewlbananas
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,626
    Kewlbananas
    Jul 14, 2004
  2. root
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,821
  3. cyrus
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    458
    Cullen Jennings
    Dec 2, 2003
  4. joseph
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,236
  5. =?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIxNjU=?=

    Windows XP Setup Restarts the Setup Program

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIxNjU=?=, Dec 12, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    3,038
    Colin Barnhorst
    Dec 14, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page