    Dials OK but UK numbers unobtainable. People calling me get
    unobtainable.

    Anyone else?
    Al Paca, May 1, 2008

  2. Al Paca

    Roger Mills Guest

    Al Paca <> wrote:

    > On both my lines.
    >
    > Dials OK but UK numbers unobtainable. People calling me get
    > unobtainable.
    >
    > Anyone else?

    Well, I've just dialled my BT line from my voip.co.uk line, and vice versa,
    and both ring out ok.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, May 1, 2008

  3. Al Paca

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Thu, 1 May 2008, Al Paca writes
    >On both my lines.
    >
    >Dials OK but UK numbers unobtainable. People calling me get
    >unobtainable.
    >
    >Anyone else?

    Yes.

    Your scenario fits for earlier this morning , but it was back on OK
    later. Don't know the timings except that it wasn't working when I went
    out at 9:00am but was OK at 10:30

    DF
    David Floyd, May 1, 2008
  4. Al Paca

    Al Paca Guest

    On Thu, 1 May 2008 11:22:03 +0100, David Floyd <>
    wrote:

    >Your scenario fits for earlier this morning , but it was back on OK
    >later. Don't know the timings except that it wasn't working when I went
    >out at 9:00am but was OK at 10:30

    It is working now. Only remaining problem is that voicemail via 121
    gives an unobtainable tone after entering mailbox number followed by
    hash.
    Al Paca, May 1, 2008
  5. Al Paca

    wrote:

    >In message of Thu, 1 May 2008, Al Paca writes
    >>On both my lines.
    >>
    >>Dials OK but UK numbers unobtainable. People calling me get
    >>unobtainable.
    >>
    >>Anyone else?
    >>

    >Yes.
    >
    >Your scenario fits for earlier this morning , but it was back on OK
    >later. Don't know the timings except that it wasn't working when I went
    >out at 9:00am but was OK at 10:30
    >
    >DF

    They just do not give a monkeys about their voip customers anymore
    they must be making more money out of some other service that they are
    running . Had they cared the new Tariffs etc that have now been
    promised for over a year would be here available and up and running .
    Has no one can now join the voip service I would like to know how they
    can ever hope to stay in business .
    , May 1, 2008
  6. Al Paca

    Phil Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > They just do not give a monkeys about their voip customers anymore
    > they must be making more money out of some other service that they are
    > running . Had they cared the new Tariffs etc that have now been
    > promised for over a year would be here available and up and running .
    > Has no one can now join the voip service I would like to know how they
    > can ever hope to stay in business .

    Seems like they are concentrating on their business customers. One of the
    management posted on their forums that they make more money from one of
    their business customers than they do out of the all of their residential
    customers.

    It's a shame that they haven't released their residential tariffs, but I'm
    still using them as they have been very reliable for me.
    Phil, May 2, 2008
  7. Al Paca

    Al Paca Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 14:48:40 GMT, wrote:

    >They just do not give a monkeys about their voip customers anymore
    >they must be making more money out of some other service that they are
    >running . Had they cared the new Tariffs etc that have now been
    >promised for over a year would be here available and up and running .
    >Has no one can now join the voip service I would like to know how they
    >can ever hope to stay in business .

    Very predictable Ron. Usual lack of flair.

    Back in your box now.
    Al Paca, May 2, 2008
  8. Al Paca

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Thu, 1 May 2008, Al Paca writes
    >On Thu, 1 May 2008 11:22:03 +0100, David Floyd <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Your scenario fits for earlier this morning , but it was back on OK
    >>later. Don't know the timings except that it wasn't working when I went
    >>out at 9:00am but was OK at 10:30

    >It is working now. Only remaining problem is that voicemail via 121
    >gives an unobtainable tone after entering mailbox number followed by
    >hash.

    I raised a ticket about this yesterday. It is now back working.

    David
    David Floyd, May 2, 2008
  9. In article <fve0sn$b6p$>, Phil <> wrote:
    ><> wrote in message
    >> They just do not give a monkeys about their voip customers anymore
    >> they must be making more money out of some other service that they are
    >> running . Had they cared the new Tariffs etc that have now been
    >> promised for over a year would be here available and up and running .
    >> Has no one can now join the voip service I would like to know how they
    >> can ever hope to stay in business .
    >>

    >Seems like they are concentrating on their business customers. One of the
    >management posted on their forums that they make more money from one of
    >their business customers than they do out of the all of their residential
    >customers.
    >
    >It's a shame that they haven't released their residential tariffs, but I'm
    >still using them as they have been very reliable for me.

    As yet another VoIP/ITSP type of enterprise, I find that it's one of
    those business conundrums... I provide VoIP, PBXs, etc. to businesses,
    and I have a "hosted" system, but it's aimed at the small business rather
    than the residential market - however I do have a small number of people
    (Basically friends & family) using it in a residential manner.

    But could I support 100's or 1000's of residential customers? And do I
    want to when "Betamax" exists offering free calls? (Which I certainly
    won't do!) If this is the case with voip.co.uk, then I can sort of
    see their point, but there are still many ITSPs who'll offer these
    features... Sipgate (not everyones favourite, I know, however they do
    address the residential market), Gradwell - more for the SME, but liked
    by the "clued-up" market who want a quality service, most of the hardware
    suppliers provide a service - voiptalk.co.uk, voipfone.co.uk, (Telappliant
    resellers), voipon.co.uk and so on, so we're not exactly short on choice.

    And I have to say, the biggest issue I've faced with people working from
    home, etc. is that they're tight fisted b'stards who'll go for the
    cheapest and most rubbish ISP they can get their grubby paws on, and
    then whinge when their VoIP doesn't work...

    <grumpy-old-man> Bah! </grumpy-old-man>

    So what would you want out of a residential VoIP service?

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, May 2, 2008
  10. Al Paca

    Al Paca Guest

    On Fri, 2 May 2008 09:19:32 +0100, David Floyd <>
    wrote:

    >I raised a ticket about this yesterday. It is now back working.

    Thanks David. So did I and received a further response this morning
    confirming all is now well - which it is.
    Al Paca, May 2, 2008
  11. Al Paca

    Guest

    On Fri, 2 May 2008 10:09:51 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    <> wrote:

    >So what would you want out of a residential VoIP service?

    Not a lot actually Gordon mainly a provider which does not lie to its
    customers has voip.co.uk have done for over 12 months or more ,if they
    now do not want residential customers why don't they crawl from under
    the stone that they are hiding under and tell people. If something is
    sadly wrong with their systems and are unable to proved the new
    tariffs why don't they tell us not just keep quiet in the hope that
    all the residential customers will go away ? .
    , May 2, 2008
  12. Al Paca

    alexd Guest

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 10:09:51 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > As yet another VoIP/ITSP type of enterprise, I find that it's one of
    > those business conundrums... I provide VoIP, PBXs, etc. to businesses,
    > and I have a "hosted" system, but it's aimed at the small business
    > rather than the residential market - however I do have a small number of
    > people (Basically friends & family) using it in a residential manner.

    It would be nice to think this earns you a some goodwill, and if any of
    your residential users knows someone who's after a phone system, they'll
    recommend you.

    > But could I support 100's or 1000's of residential customers? And do I
    > want to when "Betamax" exists offering free calls? (Which I certainly
    > won't do!)

    What's the point in offering residential VoIP service? The main driver
    for residential customers is price, and most people can get free evening
    and weekend calls as part of a package that comes with their line rental.
    Line rental that they'd have to pay for to get broadband to use a VoIP
    service with anyway. The best residential VoIP service for Joe Bloggs is
    Skype. All his mates use it, installing it is a matter of clicking 'next'
    a few times, and he can even get it to work on his mobile when he's out
    and about. The residential users who want the technical features that
    come with VoIP know what they're worth and will be happy to pay for them.

    <snip rundown of providers>

    > we're not exactly short on choice.

    Exactly. It's a blood bath, stay the hell out.

    > And I have to say, the biggest issue I've faced with people working from
    > home, etc. is that they're tight fisted b'stards who'll go for the
    > cheapest and most rubbish ISP they can get their grubby paws on, and
    > then whinge when their VoIP doesn't work...
    >
    > <grumpy-old-man> Bah! </grumpy-old-man>

    Which probably explains why voip.co.uk withdrew their £20/year service
    and don't have anything to replace it. It's just not worth the hassle
    supporting people that you're making pennies from. Spend too long on the
    phone supporting a particularly inept customer and you can kiss your
    profit for the month goodbye!

    > So what would you want out of a residential VoIP service?

    I think Sipgate's service pretty much covers what I'm after. The only
    gripe I have is the per-minute rather than per-second billing, but other
    than that I really can't complain given the cost.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:09:13 up 68 days, 5:04, 2 users, load average: 0.11, 0.05, 0.06
    alexd, May 2, 2008
  13. In article <481b8720$0$657$>,
    alexd <> wrote:

    ....lots of snippage ...

    Thanks for this. Quite Intersting, and food for thought...

    >> So what would you want out of a residential VoIP service?

    >I think Sipgate's service pretty much covers what I'm after. The only
    >gripe I have is the per-minute rather than per-second billing, but other
    >than that I really can't complain given the cost.

    Also intersting, as Sipgate and myself share a common wholesaler, and
    knowing the rates I get from them, I find this curious (but they could
    be on a better rate than me!) Telephone billing systems are a black art
    unto themselves. I'm sure universities will be offering PhD's in it
    soon... (I bill by the second, but rounded up to the next 1p)

    > <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    > 22:09:13 up 68 days, 5:04, 2 users, load average: 0.11, 0.05, 0.06

    Pah, I see your 68 days and raise it with:

    11:35:06 up 926 days, 21:37, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

    > Convergence, n: The act of using separate DSL circuits for voice and data

    I have one customer with 3 ADSL lines. One for general office data, one
    for incoming calls, and a 3rd for outgoing calls.... Still cheaper for
    them than ISDN30 apparently, and of-course, I get call revenue from
    their outgoing calls ;-)

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, May 3, 2008
  14. Al Paca

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:fvhfep$84r$,
    Gordon Henderson <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : In article <481b8720$0$657$>,
    : alexd <> wrote:
    : >
    : ...lots of snippage ...
    :
    : Thanks for this. Quite Intersting, and food for thought...
    :
    : >> So what would you want out of a residential VoIP service?
    : >
    : >I think Sipgate's service pretty much covers what I'm after. The only
    : >gripe I have is the per-minute rather than per-second billing, but
    : >other than that I really can't complain given the cost.
    :
    : Also intersting, as Sipgate and myself share a common wholesaler, and
    : knowing the rates I get from them, I find this curious (but they could
    : be on a better rate than me!) Telephone billing systems are a black
    : art unto themselves. I'm sure universities will be offering PhD's in
    : it soon... (I bill by the second, but rounded up to the next 1p)

    I think that one of the reasons why Sipgate bill per minute is that they
    give the numbers away for free. I don't know of any other VoIP supplier
    who does that and for me it's worth it in the savings on monthly rentals.

    In fact, if you only call 0800 and Sipgate numbers, there's no obligation
    to put any credit on your account at all, I have a friend who's had a
    Sipgate number for 3 years and it's never cost him a penny. He only uses
    it for 0800 and to call me and a handful of other friends on the system.

    (Cue Ron with his rantings..!)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 3, 2008
  15. Al Paca

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 3 May 2008 12:04:01 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:fvhfep$84r$,
    >Gordon Henderson <> typed, for some strange,
    >unexplained reason:
    >: In article <481b8720$0$657$>,
    >: alexd <> wrote:
    >: >
    >: ...lots of snippage ...

    >I think that one of the reasons why Sipgate bill per minute is that they
    >give the numbers away for free. I don't know of any other VoIP supplier
    >who does that and for me it's worth it in the savings on monthly rentals.

    Some of the Finarea companies, such as JustVoip, charge just one Euro
    for an incoming number.
    If I remember correctly voip.co.uk provided the first number for free
    and a one-off additional charge for further numbers,
    I got the strong impression, from a remark made on the voip.co.uk
    forum, that 'residentials' weren't of any great interest to them. The
    statement, as I remember it, was to the effect that the 'business' of
    ALL the 'residentials' were matched by a single business customer.
    It is not surprising that they don't prioritise 'residentials'.
    I now use JustVoip and all the ATAs that I have control of will go
    that way. I have found the performance of JustVoip, so far, via the
    Voxalot eu server, to be excellent.

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---
    Brian A, May 3, 2008
  16. Al Paca

    BC Guest

    alexd wrote:

    > What's the point in offering residential VoIP service? The main driver
    > for residential customers is price, and most people can get free evening
    > and weekend calls as part of a package that comes with their line rental.
    > Line rental that they'd have to pay for to get broadband to use a VoIP
    > service with anyway.

    People like myself using cable broadband do not pay line rental,
    therefore voip gives me a "traditional" landline without paying the
    extra £11 per month.
    BC, May 3, 2008
  17. Al Paca

    <> wrote:

    >In news:fvhfep$84r$,
    >Gordon Henderson <> typed, for some strange,
    >unexplained reason:
    >: In article <481b8720$0$657$>,
    >: alexd <> wrote:
    >: >
    >: ...lots of snippage ...
    >:
    >: Thanks for this. Quite Intersting, and food for thought...
    >:
    >: >> So what would you want out of a residential VoIP service?
    >: >
    >: >I think Sipgate's service pretty much covers what I'm after. The only
    >: >gripe I have is the per-minute rather than per-second billing, but
    >: >other than that I really can't complain given the cost.
    >:
    >: Also intersting, as Sipgate and myself share a common wholesaler, and
    >: knowing the rates I get from them, I find this curious (but they could
    >: be on a better rate than me!) Telephone billing systems are a black
    >: art unto themselves. I'm sure universities will be offering PhD's in
    >: it soon... (I bill by the second, but rounded up to the next 1p)
    >
    >I think that one of the reasons why Sipgate bill per minute is that they
    >give the numbers away for free. I don't know of any other VoIP supplier
    >who does that and for me it's worth it in the savings on monthly rentals.
    >
    >In fact, if you only call 0800 and Sipgate numbers, there's no obligation
    >to put any credit on your account at all, I have a friend who's had a
    >Sipgate number for 3 years and it's never cost him a penny. He only uses
    >it for 0800 and to call me and a handful of other friends on the system.
    >
    >(Cue Ron with his rantings..!)
    >
    >Ivor

    Just how many times do I have to tell you to **** OFF Ivor .
    , May 3, 2008
  18. Al Paca

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:

    [snip]

    : Just how many times do I have to tell you to **** OFF Ivor .

    As many as you like, Ron..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 3, 2008
  19. Al Paca

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 13:04:10 GMT, BC
    <> wrote:

    >alexd wrote:
    >

    >> What's the point in offering residential VoIP service? The main driver
    >> for residential customers is price, and most people can get free evening
    >> and weekend calls as part of a package that comes with their line rental.
    >> Line rental that they'd have to pay for to get broadband to use a VoIP
    >> service with anyway.

    >People like myself using cable broadband do not pay line rental,
    >therefore voip gives me a "traditional" landline without paying the
    >extra £11 per month.

    Likewise, and I actually prefer voip.
    Via voip the calls are so cheap that the 'free' calls offered by
    landline companies become insignificant.

    ---
    Brian A, May 3, 2008
  20. Al Paca

    Iain Guest

    Brian A wrote:

    e voip.co.uk
    > forum, that 'residentials' weren't of any great interest to them. The
    > statement, as I remember it, was to the effect that the 'business' of
    > ALL the 'residentials' were matched by a single business customer.
    > It is not surprising that they don't prioritise 'residentials'.

    However, don't forget that the "New Platform" they developed was bult
    for residential customers.

    I think they still plan to launch new residential tariffs, but clearly
    there is some reason why they haven't. Perhaps they are waiting till the
    market settles down first. With free calls on offer from other
    suppliers, they'll find it hard to be competitive on price.

    Compare the POTS third party carrier market, where at one time calls
    were free, then 0.5p per call through 18866. Now they are around 5p or
    6p per call from the same company. A competitor would have been wise to
    wait for that rise before launching in opposition. Perhaps voip.co.uk
    are waiting for betamax to do the equivalent.
    Iain, May 4, 2008