    Voip.co.uk a good offer?

    Thanks
    Peter
    PeterL, Apr 30, 2014

  2. PeterL

    Woody Guest

    "PeterL" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm no expert but I think my MTA-V102 took a power surge
    > and got fried. Voip.co.uk have offered to configure and
    > send me a replacement Cisco SPA112 ATA for 60 quid all in.
    >
    > I see that Broadbandbuyer are selling the Cisco ATA for 33
    > quid delivered.
    >
    > On the basis I pretty much know diddly squat about voip,
    > is the Voip.co.uk a good offer?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Peter

    If you are intending to use the ATA purely for telephone
    calls and nothing else more sophistcated, setting it up is a
    doddle.

    Do a bit of Googling and you will probably be able to find a
    voip phone so you won't need an ATA.

    One question: do you have a router or is your broadband
    single feed? If the former then the ATA you are suggesting
    will do perfectly; if you have a direct feed then get the
    SPA122 as it has a built-in router.

    Setting up is simple - if you buy it contact me off net and
    I'll give you the info - I used to use a PAPT2 on voip.co.uk
    which was the Linksys version before Cisco took them over.
    There is a Linksys version on eBay item 161043338135 rather
    cheaper.

    Also have a look at eBay item 380895303938 for another but
    equally good make. If you prefer a voip phone have a look at
    350944606172 - of which I have one that I use on
    voip.co.uk - which works very well. The set-up manual is
    available on line. If you go looking for a voip phone make
    sure it has a PSU with it - most voip phones are PoE - Power
    over Ethernet.

    All of these ATA's have a built-in web server for setup.

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
    Woody, Apr 30, 2014

  3. PeterL

    PeterL Guest

    On 30/04/2014 20:54, Woody wrote:
    > "PeterL" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm no expert but I think my MTA-V102 took a power surge
    >> and got fried. Voip.co.uk have offered to configure and
    >> send me a replacement Cisco SPA112 ATA for 60 quid all in.
    >>
    >> I see that Broadbandbuyer are selling the Cisco ATA for 33
    >> quid delivered.
    >>
    >> On the basis I pretty much know diddly squat about voip,
    >> is the Voip.co.uk a good offer?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Peter

    > If you are intending to use the ATA purely for telephone
    > calls and nothing else more sophistcated, setting it up is a
    > doddle.
    >
    > Do a bit of Googling and you will probably be able to find a
    > voip phone so you won't need an ATA.
    >
    > One question: do you have a router or is your broadband
    > single feed? If the former then the ATA you are suggesting
    > will do perfectly; if you have a direct feed then get the
    > SPA122 as it has a built-in router.
    >
    > Setting up is simple - if you buy it contact me off net and
    > I'll give you the info - I used to use a PAPT2 on voip.co.uk
    > which was the Linksys version before Cisco took them over.
    > There is a Linksys version on eBay item 161043338135 rather
    > cheaper.
    >
    > Also have a look at eBay item 380895303938 for another but
    > equally good make. If you prefer a voip phone have a look at
    > 350944606172 - of which I have one that I use on
    > voip.co.uk - which works very well. The set-up manual is
    > available on line. If you go looking for a voip phone make
    > sure it has a PSU with it - most voip phones are PoE - Power
    > over Ethernet.
    >
    > All of these ATA's have a built-in web server for setup.

    Woody, I'm really grateful to you for your prompt and informative reply.
    In answer to your questions, yes, I only want to make phone calls and,
    yes, I have a router.

    I like the idea of the Grandstream voip phone and have placed an order.
    I would also like to take you up on your offer of help to configure
    the phone on voip.co.uk.

    Many thanks. It's appreciated
    Peter
    PeterL, Apr 30, 2014
  4. PeterL

    Woody Guest

    "PeterL" <> wrote in message
    > On 30/04/2014 20:54, Woody wrote:
    >> "PeterL" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm no expert but I think my MTA-V102 took a power surge
    >>> and got fried. Voip.co.uk have offered to configure and
    >>> send me a replacement Cisco SPA112 ATA for 60 quid all
    >>> in.
    >>>
    >>> I see that Broadbandbuyer are selling the Cisco ATA for
    >>> 33
    >>> quid delivered.
    >>>
    >>> On the basis I pretty much know diddly squat about voip,
    >>> is the Voip.co.uk a good offer?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Peter

    >> If you are intending to use the ATA purely for telephone
    >> calls and nothing else more sophistcated, setting it up
    >> is a
    >> doddle.
    >>
    >> Do a bit of Googling and you will probably be able to
    >> find a
    >> voip phone so you won't need an ATA.
    >>
    >> One question: do you have a router or is your broadband
    >> single feed? If the former then the ATA you are
    >> suggesting
    >> will do perfectly; if you have a direct feed then get the
    >> SPA122 as it has a built-in router.
    >>
    >> Setting up is simple - if you buy it contact me off net
    >> and
    >> I'll give you the info - I used to use a PAPT2 on
    >> voip.co.uk
    >> which was the Linksys version before Cisco took them
    >> over.
    >> There is a Linksys version on eBay item 161043338135
    >> rather
    >> cheaper.
    >>
    >> Also have a look at eBay item 380895303938 for another
    >> but
    >> equally good make. If you prefer a voip phone have a look
    >> at
    >> 350944606172 - of which I have one that I use on
    >> voip.co.uk - which works very well. The set-up manual is
    >> available on line. If you go looking for a voip phone
    >> make
    >> sure it has a PSU with it - most voip phones are PoE -
    >> Power
    >> over Ethernet.
    >>
    >> All of these ATA's have a built-in web server for setup.

    > Woody, I'm really grateful to you for your prompt and
    > informative reply. In answer to your questions, yes, I
    > only want to make phone calls and, yes, I have a router.
    >
    > I like the idea of the Grandstream voip phone and have
    > placed an order. I would also like to take you up on your
    > offer of help to configure the phone on voip.co.uk.
    >
    > Many thanks. It's appreciated
    > Peter

    No probs but get your order in quick - we're off on hols
    soon.

    Woody, May 1, 2014
  5. PeterL

    PeterL Guest

    > No probs but get your order in quick - we're off on hols
    > soon.

    I found a new Grandstream voip phone on fleabay for 25 quid, which
    should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. To be fair to Voip.co.uk they have
    given me configuration details so if it's that easy I hope to be able to
    do the setup myself!

    For the price, I'm also tempted to get a Linksys PAP2T

    Fiddling around this morning, I can neither ping nor log in to my MTA
    V102 so I'm convinced it's fubar. I even found this link
    http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t304088-provision-server.html
    describing how to do a factory reset and that didn't work either.

    As an aside, I'm on a 3 phone contract with unlimited mobile broadband
    data. Is there any way of using 3's service with my voip.co.uk account
    (I have more than 1 number) for incoming and outgoing calls?
    PeterL, May 3, 2014
  6. PeterL

    Woody Guest

    "PeterL" <> wrote in message

    >> No probs but get your order in quick - we're off on hols
    >> soon.
    >>

    > I found a new Grandstream voip phone on fleabay for 25
    > quid, which should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. To be
    > fair to Voip.co.uk they have given me configuration
    > details so if it's that easy I hope to be able to do the
    > setup myself!
    >
    > For the price, I'm also tempted to get a Linksys PAP2T
    >
    > Fiddling around this morning, I can neither ping nor log
    > in to my MTA V102 so I'm convinced it's fubar. I even
    > found this link
    > http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t304088-provision-server.html
    > describing how to do a factory reset and that didn't work
    > either.
    >
    > As an aside, I'm on a 3 phone contract with unlimited
    > mobile broadband data. Is there any way of using 3's
    > service with my voip.co.uk account (I have more than 1
    > number) for incoming and outgoing calls?

    You will probably find that they will block the ports as it
    looses them revenue. Public wi-fi not run by one of the
    SP's - like McD's used to be but is now O2 - generally
    works.

    If your e-mail address is real I have sent you all the info
    you need, if it isn't let me have your real address - as
    mine is below the signature.

    Woody, May 3, 2014
  7. PeterL

    PeterL Guest

    On 03/05/2014 11:59, Woody wrote:
    > "PeterL" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> No probs but get your order in quick - we're off on hols
    >>> soon.
    >>>

    >> I found a new Grandstream voip phone on fleabay for 25
    >> quid, which should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. To be
    >> fair to Voip.co.uk they have given me configuration
    >> details so if it's that easy I hope to be able to do the
    >> setup myself!
    >>
    >> For the price, I'm also tempted to get a Linksys PAP2T
    >>
    >> Fiddling around this morning, I can neither ping nor log
    >> in to my MTA V102 so I'm convinced it's fubar. I even
    >> found this link
    >> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t304088-provision-server.html
    >> describing how to do a factory reset and that didn't work
    >> either.
    >>
    >> As an aside, I'm on a 3 phone contract with unlimited
    >> mobile broadband data. Is there any way of using 3's
    >> service with my voip.co.uk account (I have more than 1
    >> number) for incoming and outgoing calls?

    > You will probably find that they will block the ports as it
    > looses them revenue. Public wi-fi not run by one of the
    > SP's - like McD's used to be but is now O2 - generally
    > works.
    >
    > If your e-mail address is real I have sent you all the info
    > you need, if it isn't let me have your real address - as
    > mine is below the signature.

    Thanks again, Woody. I've received your emails and will take any
    further discussion offline
    PeterL, May 3, 2014
  8. PeterL

    PeterL Guest

    On 30/04/2014 20:54, Woody wrote:

    > Setting up is simple - if you buy it contact me off net and
    > I'll give you the info - I used to use a PAPT2 on voip.co.uk
    > which was the Linksys version before Cisco took them over.
    > There is a Linksys version on eBay item 161043338135 rather
    > cheaper.
    >
    > Also have a look at eBay item 380895303938 for another but
    > equally good make. If you prefer a voip phone have a look at
    > 350944606172 - of which I have one that I use on
    > voip.co.uk - which works very well. The set-up manual is
    > available on line. If you go looking for a voip phone make
    > sure it has a PSU with it - most voip phones are PoE - Power
    > over Ethernet.
    >
    > All of these ATA's have a built-in web server for setup.

    Thanks to Woody's pointers, I eventually bought a PAP2T-NA ATA and a
    Grandstream Budge Tone BT-100 VoIP Phone. Both seem to be working okay,
    except I have a couple of issues:

    - With the PAP2T I can make phone calls but cannot hear ringing. It's
    the same for incoming callers. They can't hear ringing either and only
    know the call's connecting when I answer!

    - I need to upgrade the firmware on the BT-100. Does anyone have a
    'walkthrough' tutorial using Solarwinds TFTP Server tools?

    Many thanks
    Peter
    PeterL, Jun 16, 2014
  9. PeterL

    Woody Guest

    "PeterL" <> wrote in message
    > On 30/04/2014 20:54, Woody wrote:
    >
    >> Setting up is simple - if you buy it contact me off net
    >> and
    >> I'll give you the info - I used to use a PAPT2 on
    >> voip.co.uk
    >> which was the Linksys version before Cisco took them
    >> over.
    >> There is a Linksys version on eBay item 161043338135
    >> rather
    >> cheaper.
    >>
    >> Also have a look at eBay item 380895303938 for another
    >> but
    >> equally good make. If you prefer a voip phone have a look
    >> at
    >> 350944606172 - of which I have one that I use on
    >> voip.co.uk - which works very well. The set-up manual is
    >> available on line. If you go looking for a voip phone
    >> make
    >> sure it has a PSU with it - most voip phones are PoE -
    >> Power
    >> over Ethernet.
    >>
    >> All of these ATA's have a built-in web server for setup.
    >>

    > Thanks to Woody's pointers, I eventually bought a PAP2T-NA
    > ATA and a Grandstream Budge Tone BT-100 VoIP Phone. Both
    > seem to be working okay, except I have a couple of issues:
    >
    > - With the PAP2T I can make phone calls but cannot hear
    > ringing. It's the same for incoming callers. They can't
    > hear ringing either and only know the call's connecting
    > when I answer!
    >
    > - I need to upgrade the firmware on the BT-100. Does
    > anyone have a 'walkthrough' tutorial using Solarwinds TFTP
    > Server tools?

    Register yourself with Sipgate - it doesn't cost anything
    and you get a line number in the process - and then go have
    a look in their support area where you will find configs for
    many ATA's including the PAPT2. My duaghter has mine down in
    Bath at present so I can't look at it to tell you.

    Woody, Jun 17, 2014
  10. PeterL

    Woody Guest

    "PeterL" <> wrote in message
    > On 30/04/2014 20:54, Woody wrote:
    >
    >> Setting up is simple - if you buy it contact me off net
    >> and
    >> I'll give you the info - I used to use a PAPT2 on
    >> voip.co.uk
    >> which was the Linksys version before Cisco took them
    >> over.
    >> There is a Linksys version on eBay item 161043338135
    >> rather
    >> cheaper.
    >>
    >> Also have a look at eBay item 380895303938 for another
    >> but
    >> equally good make. If you prefer a voip phone have a look
    >> at
    >> 350944606172 - of which I have one that I use on
    >> voip.co.uk - which works very well. The set-up manual is
    >> available on line. If you go looking for a voip phone
    >> make
    >> sure it has a PSU with it - most voip phones are PoE -
    >> Power
    >> over Ethernet.
    >>
    >> All of these ATA's have a built-in web server for setup.
    >>

    > Thanks to Woody's pointers, I eventually bought a PAP2T-NA
    > ATA and a Grandstream Budge Tone BT-100 VoIP Phone. Both
    > seem to be working okay, except I have a couple of issues:
    >
    > - With the PAP2T I can make phone calls but cannot hear
    > ringing. It's the same for incoming callers. They can't
    > hear ringing either and only know the call's connecting
    > when I answer!
    >
    > - I need to upgrade the firmware on the BT-100. Does
    > anyone have a 'walkthrough' tutorial using Solarwinds TFTP
    > Server tools?

    Google it - there's plenty of help.

    Basically you set the server running with the new binary
    file in the same directory, then point your phone at its
    address and tell the phone which file to download in the
    process as a switch. I'm curious as to why you need to
    update?

    Woody, Jun 17, 2014