    need to set up my router if I did sign up. Do they email this info if/when I
    sign up to them?
    Thanks in advance.
    Phil, Jul 15, 2006

  2. Phil

    Jono Guest

    Phil laid this down on his screen :
    > I was looking at voip.co.uk's website and like the look of their optional UK
    > pack, seems very good value. I was just wondering if anyone had any
    > experience of them? Are they reliable, what is the call quality like? Also I
    > have searched their website and can't find the technical details I would need
    > to set up my router if I did sign up. Do they email this info if/when I sign
    > up to them?
    > Thanks in advance.

    Very good call quality.

    Never had a dropped call.

    Good value packages.

    I've had two billing issues in two months. Both resulted in an
    overcahrge. My account was credited very quickly to compensate for the
    overcharges...........the second issue seems to be still causing an
    overcharge, though, even after the credit & confirmation that it's been
    fixed. I am confident that they will fix it.
    Jono, Jul 15, 2006

  3. Phil

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Phil writes
    >I was looking at voip.co.uk's website and like the look of their optional UK
    >pack, seems very good value. I was just wondering if anyone had any
    >experience of them? Are they reliable,

    Yes

    >what is the call quality like?

    Excellent

    >Also I
    >have searched their website and can't find the technical details I would
    >need to set up my router if I did sign up. Do they email this info if/when I
    >sign up to them?

    Can't remember, but you can definitely use your own ATA, so they must
    have provided me with the info.

    I haven't had any billing problems despite what others have said.

    I'm using the Annual UK option (£20)

    David
    David Floyd, Jul 15, 2006
  4. Phil

    Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:11:50 +0100, "Phil" <>
    wrote:

    >I was looking at voip.co.uk's website and like the look of their optional UK
    >pack, seems very good value. I was just wondering if anyone had any
    >experience of them? Are they reliable, what is the call quality like? Also I
    >have searched their website and can't find the technical details I would
    >need to set up my router if I did sign up. Do they email this info if/when I
    >sign up to them?
    > Thanks in advance.

    From memory I think they send a welcome email of some sort with the
    required details personally I prefer Voipfone.co.uk althogh I still
    have a line from voip.co.uk used to have three .
    , Jul 15, 2006
  5. Phil

    wrote:

    >I was looking at voip.co.uk's website and like the look of their optional UK
    >pack, seems very good value.

    Yes, it is, but be aware that only one concurrent call is free unless
    you buy 2 UK packs.

    > was just wondering if anyone had any
    >experience of them? Are they reliable,

    Yes.

    >what is the call quality like?

    Depends on the codec you choose. If you use g711, it is excellent.
    g729 uses less bandwidth, but is less good quality. They don't support
    g736.

    I've had some billing issues, where I've been charged very small
    amounts for calls that should be free, but I think they've fixed the
    problem, and they have credited the incorrect charges.

    Their support is really good and helpful, but sometimes they take a
    few days to roll into action for non-urgent stuff.

    >Also I
    >have searched their website and can't find the technical details I would
    >need to set up my router if I did sign up. Do they email this info if/when I
    >sign up to them?

    You need to set the sip proxy to proxy.voip.co.uk (inbound and
    outbound). You need to put in your sip device username (a numeric they
    give you) into a field that may be called phone number on your ATA and
    password (which you choose). That's all there is to it.

    Unless the router has the ATA built in, you don't need to do anything
    to your router.

    The voip.co.uk setup you sort out in https://my.voip.co.uk/ is a bit
    more complex: you set up the account name and password for each sip
    device, assign phone numbers and set how one routes to the other on
    this web page. They are supposedly going to publish docs soon, but at
    present, it's a bit confusing.
    , Jul 15, 2006
  6. Phil

    Phil Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:11:50 +0100, "Phil" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I was looking at voip.co.uk's website and like the look of their optional
    >>UK
    >>pack, seems very good value.

    > Yes, it is, but be aware that only one concurrent call is free unless
    > you buy 2 UK packs.
    >
    >> was just wondering if anyone had any
    >>experience of them? Are they reliable,

    > Yes.
    >
    >>what is the call quality like?

    > Depends on the codec you choose. If you use g711, it is excellent.
    > g729 uses less bandwidth, but is less good quality. They don't support
    > g736.
    >
    > I've had some billing issues, where I've been charged very small
    > amounts for calls that should be free, but I think they've fixed the
    > problem, and they have credited the incorrect charges.
    >
    > Their support is really good and helpful, but sometimes they take a
    > few days to roll into action for non-urgent stuff.
    >
    >>Also I
    >>have searched their website and can't find the technical details I would
    >>need to set up my router if I did sign up. Do they email this info if/when
    >>sign up to them?

    > You need to set the sip proxy to proxy.voip.co.uk (inbound and
    > outbound). You need to put in your sip device username (a numeric they
    > give you) into a field that may be called phone number on your ATA and
    > password (which you choose). That's all there is to it.
    >
    > Unless the router has the ATA built in, you don't need to do anything
    > to your router.
    >
    > The voip.co.uk setup you sort out in https://my.voip.co.uk/ is a bit
    > more complex: you set up the account name and password for each sip
    > device, assign phone numbers and set how one routes to the other on
    > this web page. They are supposedly going to publish docs soon, but at
    > present, it's a bit confusing.

    Thanks guys. Think I'll give them a go.
    Phil, Jul 16, 2006
  7. Phil

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 22:39:32 +0100, wrote:

    >On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:11:50 +0100, "Phil" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I was looking at voip.co.uk's website and like the look of their optional UK
    >>pack, seems very good value.

    >Yes, it is, but be aware that only one concurrent call is free unless
    >you buy 2 UK packs.
    >
    >> was just wondering if anyone had any
    >>experience of them? Are they reliable,

    >Yes.
    >
    >>what is the call quality like?

    >Depends on the codec you choose. If you use g711, it is excellent.
    >g729 uses less bandwidth, but is less good quality. They don't support
    >g736.
    >
    >I've had some billing issues, where I've been charged very small
    >amounts for calls that should be free, but I think they've fixed the
    >problem, and they have credited the incorrect charges.
    >
    >Their support is really good and helpful, but sometimes they take a
    >few days to roll into action for non-urgent stuff.
    >
    >>Also I
    >>have searched their website and can't find the technical details I would
    >>need to set up my router if I did sign up. Do they email this info if/when I
    >>sign up to them?

    >You need to set the sip proxy to proxy.voip.co.uk (inbound and
    >outbound). You need to put in your sip device username (a numeric they
    >give you) into a field that may be called phone number on your ATA and
    >password (which you choose). That's all there is to it.

    That's strange I use
    registrar.voip.co.uk

    >Unless the router has the ATA built in, you don't need to do anything
    >to your router.

    Can't comment on this but generally some ports need forwarding if you
    are to use other providers. I am surprised voip.co.uk works without -
    unless you are using a stun.

    >The voip.co.uk setup you sort out in https://my.voip.co.uk/ is a bit
    >more complex: you set up the account name and password for each sip
    >device, assign phone numbers and set how one routes to the other on
    >this web page. They are supposedly going to publish docs soon, but at
    >present, it's a bit confusing.

    My comments.
    Good value. Have had some problems but they have been ironed out.
    They still have problems with the on-line software but it isn't
    causing me problems atm.
    Voicemail is a bit basic. They were supposed to be making improvements
    to it.
    Overall I'm happy with voip.co.uk

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Jul 16, 2006
  8. Phil

    Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:06:40 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >>Unless the router has the ATA built in, you don't need to do anything
    >>to your router.

    >Can't comment on this but generally some ports need forwarding if you
    >are to use other providers. I am surprised voip.co.uk works without -
    >unless you are using a stun.

    So am I. I had a load of ports forwarded and it was working fine, but
    then I started getting drops or one way audio. I contacted voip.co.uk
    tech support, and they suggested removing the port forwarding, because
    it may be altering packets. I was skeptical, because I'm not using a
    stun server, but it works.

    >My comments.
    >Good value. Have had some problems but they have been ironed out.
    >They still have problems with the on-line software but it isn't
    >causing me problems atm.
    >Voicemail is a bit basic. They were supposed to be making improvements
    >to it.

    Ah, yes. Forgot to mention that. You only get one voicemail box per
    account, no matter how many phone numbers and sip accounts you have.
    You can only listen to your messages once over the phone, but they are
    still there on the website to listen to again (or delete). And the
    email notifications are good and quick. I've never tried the sms
    notifications: I rarely bother reading text messages anyway.

    >Overall I'm happy with voip.co.uk

    Same here.
    , Jul 16, 2006