voip.co.uk and SKY

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Mick, Jan 16, 2007.

  1. Mick

    Mick Guest

    I use voip.co.uk for my home phone (have a mobile for backup).

    I have two sky boxes - both plugged into the voip line.

    The sky boxes are trying to communicate with the SKY server but cannot.

    I have raised this with voip.co.uk and had the following advice in
    return ....

    Please bear in mind that I use a Sipura 1001 ATA -and I'm not techie.

    > I have spoken to our technical team and they recommend that for you
    > to use a modem over VoIP you will need to force your ATA to use the
    > codec g.711 and not to use g.729 and also set your fax settings to
    > T30 and disable t38.
    >
    > They believe that you will then be able to then contact Sky via VoIP.
    >
    > Kind Regards,

    Well, I have set the ATA to use G711a (it was set to g711u) -but I
    cannot find a relative setting for T30 - or anywhere where I can
    disable t38 - though there are all sorts of other fax related bits,
    they make no sense to me at all.

    Can someone offer some assistance? I assume that somebody somewhere has
    had this before!

    Regards

    Mick
    Mick, Jan 16, 2007

  2. On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:47:58 GMT, "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote:

    >The sky boxes are trying to communicate with the SKY server but cannot.

    what happens ? maybe plug a phone in parallel and listen in. Does the
    VoIP service present CLI and does Sky need it ?

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))
    Phil Thompson, Jan 17, 2007

  3. Mick

    Ian Pawson Guest

    Phil Thompson wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:47:58 GMT, "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote:
    >
    >> The sky boxes are trying to communicate with the SKY server but cannot.

    > what happens ? maybe plug a phone in parallel and listen in. Does the
    > VoIP service present CLI and does Sky need it ?
    >
    > Phil

    Well, if it's like mine, the modem at the far end answers ok but the two
    modems seem unable to train up and eventually the call times out.
    Ian Pawson, Jan 17, 2007
  4. Mick

    Mick Guest

    Phil Thompson wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:47:58 GMT, "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote:
    >
    > > The sky boxes are trying to communicate with the SKY server but
    > > cannot.

    > what happens ? maybe plug a phone in parallel and listen in. Does the
    > VoIP service present CLI and does Sky need it ?
    >
    > Phil

    voip.co.uk provides CLID - Sky apparently needs this - hence the
    overide code in the settings (1470 for BT customers).

    the things seems to time out - so it's sending, but not making the
    conection .....

    What i'm really after is someone with knowledge of the issues with the
    ATA as per original post as i do not have sufficient techie knowledge
    to do the job w/o assistance.

    Mick

    Mick, Jan 17, 2007
  5. Mick

    Jono Guest

    Mick explained :
    > Phil Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:47:58 GMT, "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The sky boxes are trying to communicate with the SKY server but
    >>> cannot.

    >> what happens ? maybe plug a phone in parallel and listen in. Does the
    >> VoIP service present CLI and does Sky need it ?
    >>
    >> Phil

    > voip.co.uk provides CLID - Sky apparently needs this - hence the
    > overide code in the settings (1470 for BT customers).
    >
    > the things seems to time out - so it's sending, but not making the
    > conection .....
    >
    > What i'm really after is someone with knowledge of the issues with the
    > ATA as per original post as i do not have sufficient techie knowledge
    > to do the job w/o assistance.
    >
    > Mick

    Have you tried sending a fax as a test? The Sky modem is too fast for
    the VoIP connection.

    There's loads of discussions around the problem
    <http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-01,GGLG:en&q=sky+box+voip&safe=active>

    Have you played with the "Modem Line Toggle Code" which you should find
    on the regional tab of the SPA's admin interface.

    You may struggle to get the Sky box to prefix the call with *99, so
    you'll have to mess around with different numbers......do the vertical
    service activation codes /have/ to start with a *..? I'm not sure.

    It's been pondered at lot, has what you're tying to accomplish - not
    least because it would alow multiroom subscriptions with the boxes in
    two distinctly different geographical locations.
    Jono, Jan 17, 2007
  6. Mick

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:50:49 GMT, "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote:

    >Phil Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:47:58 GMT, "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> > The sky boxes are trying to communicate with the SKY server but
    >> > cannot.

    >> what happens ? maybe plug a phone in parallel and listen in. Does the
    >> VoIP service present CLI and does Sky need it ?
    >>
    >> Phil

    >voip.co.uk provides CLID - Sky apparently needs this - hence the
    >overide code in the settings (1470 for BT customers).

    >Mick

    I had my phone line connected to my Sky box a very long time ago. They
    didn't need a CLI then - mine was blocked. I gave them an 0870 number,
    I didn't want to be pestered once my year, with the box connected to
    the phone line, had run out (I did the £100 for box and installation,
    with no package deal, - i.e. free TV only). Anyway, voip.co.uk does
    present a CLI.
    I would think that the problem here is more likely to relate to how
    well the modems can communicate over VoIP. I have done FAX over
    voip.co.uk but data, with Sky, I've never tried.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Jan 17, 2007
  7. Mick

    Mick Guest

    Mick wrote:

    > I use voip.co.uk for my home phone (have a mobile for backup).
    >
    > I have two sky boxes - both plugged into the voip line.
    >
    > The sky boxes are trying to communicate with the SKY server but
    > cannot.
    >
    > I have raised this with voip.co.uk and had the following advice in
    > return ....
    >
    > Please bear in mind that I use a Sipura 1001 ATA -and I'm not techie.
    >

    > > I have spoken to our technical team and they recommend that for you
    > > to use a modem over VoIP you will need to force your ATA to use the
    > > codec g.711 and not to use g.729 and also set your fax settings to
    > > T30 and disable t38.
    > >
    > > They believe that you will then be able to then contact Sky via
    > > VoIP.
    > >
    > > Kind Regards,

    > Well, I have set the ATA to use G711a (it was set to g711u) -but I
    > cannot find a relative setting for T30 - or anywhere where I can
    > disable t38 - though there are all sorts of other fax related bits,
    > they make no sense to me at all.
    >
    > Can someone offer some assistance? I assume that somebody somewhere
    > has had this before!
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Mick

    just by way of an update .....

    after I had the letter from Sky advising me that my skybox wasn't
    connected to their server, and their engineer came round and but could
    do nothing .... i wrote to Sky and pointed out that I had indeed
    complied with all their requirements to have a working phone line
    connected to the sky box - and that they could download all the data
    they wished - but it was their end that was causing the problem in not
    communicating over the phone line with my voip service -making sure
    they understood that I was using a VOIP service provider.

    I got a letter back soon after thanking me for the information and that
    as far as they were concerned, the matter was closed and no further
    action was being taken.

    Mick

    Mick, Feb 13, 2007