voip.co.uk and SIP

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by tollgate, Apr 18, 2006.

  1. tollgate

    tollgate Guest

    I sent an email to voip.co.uk to find out my sip address. Below is my
    question and reply. I tried the sip address given - it didn't work. Now
    I thought voip.co.uk was SIP based. If I go to my account page, my sip
    address is given as my account number (which is different from the
    138xxx number I was given) @ my work IP address, ie
    552xxx@86.132.xxx.xx. If I dial this last number, my phone at work does
    ring. I'm not sure what's going on here. Can anyone shed any light?

    Steve



    > Message:
    > >
    > > Hello. Can you tell me what my sip address is please.
    > >
    > > Thanks


    Hi Stephen,

    Your SIP address is:



    However you may need to append the port number you are using if you are
    not
    using the standard 5060 or 5061.

    e.g. :1234 - where '1234' is the port number you are
    using

    Please note that while it may be possible we do not support SIP - SIP
    calls
    on our service.
     
    tollgate, Apr 18, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. tollgate wrote:
    > I sent an email to voip.co.uk to find out my sip address. Below is my
    > question and reply. I tried the sip address given - it didn't work. Now
    > I thought voip.co.uk was SIP based. If I go to my account page, my sip
    > address is given as my account number (which is different from the
    > 138xxx number I was given) @ my work IP address, ie
    > 552xxx@86.132.xxx.xx. If I dial this last number, my phone at work does
    > ring. I'm not sure what's going on here. Can anyone shed any light?
    >
    > Steve
    >


    Err, you set up SIP accounts in your control panel and the SIP addresses
    you call, should match. ().

    Mind you, they seem to be a bit backwards, they don't have caller ID
    working properly (outgoing) and of the 2 accounts I manage, they've been
    overcharging me since the 26th of march (about the time they managed to
    fix my other overcharging problem).

    Oh and I've been waiting for an invoice from them for nearly a month now
    too.

    This is ignoring the fact that my incoming numbers have only been
    working intermittently today.

    It's starting to look like the only service that works how it should and
    how it is advertised, that is flexible and supports open standards is
    Gradwell. (Shame their call costs and service rental are more than
    anyone else).

    I wonder if Voiptalk or Voipfone are any better.
     
    Thomas Kenyon, Apr 18, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. tollgate

    Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:21:54 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    <> wrote:


    >I wonder if Voiptalk or Voipfone are any better.

    Voiptalk I can't comment on Tom but I have been with Voipfone since
    leaving that heap of rubbish called Sipgate and I have not had one bit
    of trouble with them and their mobile call back service is perfect for
    avoiding mobile network charges .
    I am thinking of getting shut of my three voip.co lines the service is
    sort of ok but how shall I put it a little amateurish .
     
    , Apr 18, 2006
    #3
  4. tollgate

    tollgate Guest

    I too use Gradwell (there centrex service) at work and find it
    excellent. I started with Sipgate and it's too unreliable for any sort
    of business use, maybe just about OK for home use if you don't mind
    calls dropping, but this has all been covered here before. Voip.co.uk
    has seemed fairly reliable, but I wouldn't trust it for business use.
    What I still don't understand is why voip.co.uk don't "support" sip to
    sip calls?
     
    tollgate, Apr 18, 2006
    #4
  5. tollgate

    Guest

    On 18 Apr 2006 13:36:36 -0700, "tollgate" <> wrote:


    >What I still don't understand is why voip.co.uk don't "support" sip to
    >sip calls?

    Having had a few phone conversations with them I sort of get the
    impression that they are in fact re sellers for some other provider
    I do not have any proof of this it is just a feeling I have nothing
    more apart from the fact that the guy that answers the phone seems to
    be a little unsure about everything. You can call and say support
    please and he says yes, you can call and say sales please and he says
    yes, you name it and he says yes !!! :)) .
    Bit like Sipgate actually except for the far superior service from
    voip but with Sipgate it is all email and nothing else .
     
    , Apr 18, 2006
    #5
  6. > Having had a few phone conversations with them I sort of get the
    > impression that they are in fact re sellers for some other provider


    This is false. VoIP.co.uk build, own and manage their infrastructure
    called SynergySoft, which is designed to the 3GPP IMS model. From the
    diagram, it looks like they've implemented revision 6 or 7 or the IMS
    model. Don't quote me on this though.

    See http://www.voip.co.uk/tech_about.html

    --
    Richard
     
    Richard Smith, Apr 18, 2006
    #6
  7. tollgate

    Tim Bray Guest

    wrote:
    > Having had a few phone conversations with them I sort of get the
    > impression that they are in fact re sellers for some other provider


    What makes you say that?



    > I do not have any proof of this it is just a feeling I have nothing
    > more apart from the fact that the guy that answers the phone seems to
    > be a little unsure about everything. You can call and say support
    > please and he says yes, you can call and say sales please and he says
    > yes, you name it and he says yes !!! :)) .


    I'd say yes to all of those if you phoned the company where I work, and
    I happened to answer the phone. Maybe I'm just a clever guy, or maybe I
    just want to know more about what you want before I pass you over.

    Tim
     
    Tim Bray, Apr 19, 2006
    #7
  8. wrote:

    > Having had a few phone conversations with them I sort of get the
    > impression that they are in fact re sellers for some other provider


    we are most certianly not. We are afaik the only company in the UK
    (possibly europe) to write our own SIP platform from scrach rather than use
    a custom solution by cisco, huwawie, broadsoft, or any other of the million
    and one SIP solutuon providers around these days.

    > I do not have any proof of this it is just a feeling I have nothing
    > more apart from the fact that the guy that answers the phone seems to
    > be a little unsure about everything.


    Find me someone that is an [expert in SIP] and will [sit in front of the
    phone all day answering customer queries and has great customer services
    skills].

    I'm afraid the two are *almost* always mutually excusive. If someone has
    the skills to be 100% sure about *all* queries, then they shouldn't really
    be sitting on 1st line, should they?

    > You can call and say support
    > please and he says yes, you can call and say sales please and he says
    > yes, you name it and he says yes !!! :)) .


    Am i understand correctly that you think because we're not passing you
    around from person to person like BT and many other large phone companies
    do, you think we're a reseller?

    :)

    ~ Theo

    --
    Theo P. Zourzouvillys
    http://crazygreek.co.uk/
     
    Theo Zourzouvillys, Apr 19, 2006
    #8
  9. Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:

    > Am i understand correctly that you think because we're not passing you
    > around from person to person like BT and many other large phone companies
    > do, you think we're a reseller?
    >
    > :)
    >

    Isn't it standard practice for any office with more than 3 people in it? :)

    I once had a phone call with Dell requiring a replacement of a part that
    was shipped as faulty. I spoke to 15 people by the end of the
    conversation (okay not accurate, spoke to some of the same people
    several times) but after about 4 I started counting.

    One of them said 'Oh God, not you again. What did sales tell you this
    time?'.
     
    Thomas Kenyon, Apr 19, 2006
    #9
  10. Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    > Isn't it standard practice for any office with more than 3 people in it? :)


    More to the point, isn't that what the "Call Transfer" button was
    invented for?

    --
    Rich
     
    Richard Smith, Apr 19, 2006
    #10

  11. > It's starting to look like the only service that works how it should and
    > how it is advertised, that is flexible and supports open standards is
    > Gradwell. (Shame their call costs and service rental are more than
    > anyone else).


    /me looks at the work queue, and the hours we've worked this week.

    peter

    --
    peter gradwell. gradwell dot com Ltd. http://www.gradwell.com/
    -- engineering & hosting services for email, web and voip --
    -- http://www.peter.me.uk/ -- http://www.voip.org.uk/ --
     
    Peter Gradwell, Apr 19, 2006
    #11
  12. tollgate

    Dave Gill Guest

    Thomas Kenyon wrote:

    > It's starting to look like the only service that works how it should and
    > how it is advertised, that is flexible and supports open standards is
    > Gradwell. (Shame their call costs and service rental are more than
    > anyone else).


    There's possibly a correlation between the two...

    Even though I use Voip.co.uk for the majority of my outgoing calls, and
    it does seem reliable enough for that, I still paying Gradwell a little
    over four quid a month for the reassurance of having an incoming line I
    know I can rely on. After all, taking the two services together I'm
    still only paying half what I would be paying Telewest or BT for one of
    their phone lines. :)

    --
    The From address is a spam-trap, so all replies to the newsgroup please.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Be Alert, Your Country Needs More Lerts! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Dave Gill, Apr 20, 2006
    #12
  13. tollgate

    Dave Gill Guest

    There's possibly a correlation between the two...

    Even though I use Voip.co.uk for the majority of my outgoing calls, and
    it does seem reliable enough for that, I'll still pay Gradwell a little
    over four quid a month for the reassurance of having an incoming line I
    know I can rely on. After all, taking the two services together I'm
    still only paying half what I would be paying Telewest or BT for one of
    their phone lines. :)


    --
    The From address is a spam-trap, so all replies to the newsgroup please.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Be Alert, Your Country Needs More Lerts! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Dave Gill, Apr 20, 2006
    #13
  14. tollgate

    Dave Gill Guest

    Thomas Kenyon wrote:

    > It's starting to look like the only service that works how it should and
    > how it is advertised, that is flexible and supports open standards is
    > Gradwell. (Shame their call costs and service rental are more than
    > anyone else).


    There's possibly a correlation between the two...

    Even though I use Voip.co.uk for the majority of my outgoing calls, and
    it does seem reliable enough for that, I'll still pay Gradwell a little
    over four quid a month for the reassurance of having an incoming line I
    know I can rely on. After all, taking the two services together I'm
    still only paying half what I would be paying Telewest or BT for one of
    their phone lines. :)


    --
    The From address is a spam-trap, so all replies to the newsgroup please.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Be Alert, Your Country Needs More Lerts! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Dave Gill, Apr 20, 2006
    #14
  15. tollgate

    Guest

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:48:33 +0100, Dave Gill
    <> wrote:


    >Even though I use Voip.co.uk for the majority of my outgoing calls, and
    >it does seem reliable enough for that, I'll still pay Gradwell a little
    >over four quid a month for the reassurance of having an incoming line I
    >know I can rely on. After all, taking the two services together I'm
    >still only paying half what I would be paying Telewest or BT for one of
    >their phone lines. :)

    I can't really fault the service from voip.co.uk but they do remind me
    slightly of "that other company" I once had dealings with and
    Blueyonder/ Telewest .
    For instance they say on their site about knowing about some fault or
    other nothing wrong with that BUT the site was saying this when I
    signed up some MONTHS ago now and it is STILL saying this , just how
    long are we supposed to give these companies we are paying money to
    for service to sort KNOWN faults out ? .
     
    , Apr 21, 2006
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. voxquick via HWKB.com
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,066
    voxquick via HWKB.com
    Apr 3, 2006
  2. voxquick
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,559
    voxquick
    Apr 3, 2006
  3. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Sip Discount & VoIP Buster no longer SIP

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Nov 1, 2005, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    2,626
  4. -=Falcon=-

    voip.co.uk & SIP to SIP

    -=Falcon=-, Jan 13, 2007, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    550
    Brian
    Jan 15, 2007
  5. Andrew Gabriel
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,480
    Tim Watts
    Aug 28, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page