Voip.co.ok(ish)?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by News Reader, Sep 15, 2007.

  1. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    Hi,

    I probably ought to start this post with an apology but never the less.

    I am trying to fathom why voip.co.uk are so highly praised and rated for
    their stability, etc. when it appears the reality is their service goes down
    with almost clockwork precision and reliability (i.e. seemingly at least
    once a week often twice or more a week - irrespective of the down time [i.e.
    > 5 minutes]).

    I am neither pro nor anti them nor anyone else particularly. It just bemuses
    and has bemused me as to why they are so praised particularly for
    reliability when it seems that patently they in fact are not top-tier for
    reliability (e.g. 5 9's or even 3 9's, etc.).

    Anyhoo.... if voipcheap et. al. (just as one example) can manage a league
    better uptime, etc. why are voip.co.uk praised so highly and possibly even
    more so than others who appear to show significantly better reliability /
    uptime performance, for having supposedly great reliability and uptime
    performance (not to mention they seem to have other inconsistencies and / or
    regular problems - such as with billing, which other organisations do not;
    yet voip.co.uk still seem to receive a very high amount of praise for not
    having such problems????).

    As I say, I am not biased nor in preference of any one service or another,
    just bemused as to how their can be regular handfuls of posts about
    voip.co.uk problems and similar handfuls of posts about how their are no
    problems with voip.co.uk? Hmm... odd... inconsistent, ... and the later has
    to be false as a reflection of the reality of the former... anyhow,
    thoughts, etc. welcomed.

    Many thanks and best wishes,

    News Reader

    P.s. Just wanted to ask this for quite a while, particularly as they are
    often recommended with praise for excellence of uptime / reliability and
    customer service / billing when other companies actually seem to perform a
    league or more better and others regularly post about problems with
    voip.co.uk (seems highly inconsistent or simply wrong).

    News Reader, Sep 15, 2007

  2. News Reader

    Linker3000 Guest

    News Reader wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > I probably ought to start this post with an apology but never the less.
    >
    > I am trying to fathom why voip.co.uk are so highly praised and rated for
    > their stability, etc. when it appears the reality is their service goes down
    > with almost clockwork precision and reliability (i.e. seemingly at least
    > once a week often twice or more a week - irrespective of the down time [i.e.
    > > 5 minutes]).

    [Snip]

    Interesting post.

    From my perspective, I have had no problems with their service over the
    nearly 2 years I have been using them - it's only within the last month
    that I have had 3 outages with them.

    Overall, I would rate their service as good but this position will
    change if their current hiccups continue.

    Linker3000, Sep 15, 2007

  3. News Reader

    Guest

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 18:20:34 +0100, Linker3000
    <> wrote:

    > From my perspective, I have had no problems with their service over the
    >nearly 2 years I have been using them - it's only within the last month
    >that I have had 3 outages with them.

    I only know of one recently and only noticed that due to accidentally
    picking the wrong handset up and trying to make the call I should have
    been making via voipcheap . Normally I only use the service nights and
    weekends and in two years have never found them out of service during
    those times.
    >Overall, I would rate their service as good but this position will
    >change if their current hiccups continue.

    If problems do continue I can only think that like many firms before
    them they are stretching their resources to the limit and proceeding
    to get themselves a bad reputation in doing so .

    , Sep 15, 2007
  4. News Reader

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Sat, 15 Sep 2007, Linker3000 writes
    >News Reader wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I probably ought to start this post with an apology but never the
    >>less.
    >> I am trying to fathom why voip.co.uk are so highly praised and rated
    >>for their stability, etc. when it appears the reality is their
    >>service goes down with almost clockwork precision and reliability
    >>(i.e. seemingly at least once a week often twice or more a week -
    >>irrespective of the down time [i.e.
    >> > 5 minutes]).

    >[Snip]
    >
    >Interesting post.
    >
    >From my perspective, I have had no problems with their service over the
    >nearly 2 years I have been using them - it's only within the last month
    >that I have had 3 outages with them.
    >
    >Overall, I would rate their service as good but this position will
    >change if their current hiccups continue.

    I would go along with your comments too. I have been with them for 2
    years in November with no problems except as you mentioned above (I can
    only recall 2 outages though). No outages like the OP mentions though -
    must be his equipment!

    DF

    David Floyd, Sep 16, 2007
  5. News Reader

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 18:56:38 GMT, wrote:

    >On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 18:20:34 +0100, Linker3000
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >> From my perspective, I have had no problems with their service over the
    >>nearly 2 years I have been using them - it's only within the last month
    >>that I have had 3 outages with them.

    >I only know of one recently and only noticed that due to accidentally
    >picking the wrong handset up and trying to make the call I should have
    >been making via voipcheap . Normally I only use the service nights and
    >weekends and in two years have never found them out of service during
    >those times.
    >>Overall, I would rate their service as good but this position will
    >>change if their current hiccups continue.

    >If problems do continue I can only think that like many firms before
    >them they are stretching their resources to the limit and proceeding
    >to get themselves a bad reputation in doing so .

    The only problem I have had, in recent times, with voip.co.uk, is
    that the audio sometimes drops out one way - it seems to be mostly on
    daytime calls. Other than that my experience has been total
    reliability. Any apparent drop outs have not affected me.
    There are two other factors you have ot bear in mind:
    1. Hardware
    2. ISP.
    I had no end of trouble when Telewest were upgrading their broadband
    and I am well aware that hardware, and the set up therof, can also be
    a source of trouble. For example, I set up an SPA-3102 for a friend.
    Then some times it worked and other times not. I made adjustments to
    the settings and now it is solid. He uses voip.co.uk, with
    registration on eu.voxalot.com, as well as vyke.co.uk which is mostly
    for calls to Germany. I regularly ask him how it is going and he
    always says he has had no problems - believe me he is very quick to
    moan if the slightest thing goes wrong.

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Get your friends to sign too!
    TV.
    ---

    Brian A, Sep 16, 2007
  6. News Reader

    Guest

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:33:44 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    > - believe me he is very quick to
    >moan if the slightest thing goes wrong.

    I didn't know we had met Brian :))) .

    , Sep 16, 2007
  7. News Reader

    acdeag Guest

    "News Reader" <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >

    > I probably ought to start this post with an apology but never the less.
    >
    > I am trying to fathom why voip.co.uk are so highly praised and rated for
    > their stability, etc. when it appears the reality is their service goes
    > down with almost clockwork precision and reliability (i.e. seemingly at
    > least once a week often twice or more a week - irrespective of the down
    > time [i.e.
    > > 5 minutes]).

    > I am neither pro nor anti them nor anyone else particularly. It just
    > bemuses and has bemused me as to why they are so praised particularly for
    > reliability when it seems that patently they in fact are not top-tier for
    > reliability (e.g. 5 9's or even 3 9's, etc.).
    >
    > Anyhoo.... if voipcheap et. al. (just as one example) can manage a league
    > better uptime, etc. why are voip.co.uk praised so highly and possibly even
    > more so than others who appear to show significantly better reliability /
    > uptime performance, for having supposedly great reliability and uptime
    > performance (not to mention they seem to have other inconsistencies and /
    > or regular problems - such as with billing, which other organisations do
    > not; yet voip.co.uk still seem to receive a very high amount of praise for
    > not having such problems????).
    >
    > As I say, I am not biased nor in preference of any one service or another,
    > just bemused as to how their can be regular handfuls of posts about
    > voip.co.uk problems and similar handfuls of posts about how their are no
    > problems with voip.co.uk? Hmm... odd... inconsistent, ... and the later
    > has to be false as a reflection of the reality of the former... anyhow,
    > thoughts, etc. welcomed.
    >

    > Many thanks and best wishes,
    >

    > News Reader
    >

    > P.s. Just wanted to ask this for quite a while, particularly as they are
    > often recommended with praise for excellence of uptime / reliability and
    > customer service / billing when other companies actually seem to perform a
    > league or more better and others regularly post about problems with
    > voip.co.uk (seems highly inconsistent or simply wrong).

    I have used them for 18 months or so, with very few issues. Could it be more
    an ISP issue?

    acdeag, Sep 16, 2007
  8. News Reader

    Guest

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:04:01 +0100, "acdeag"
    <> wrote:

    >I have used them for 18 months or so, with very few issues. Could it be more
    >an ISP issue?

    One other thought it may be that the company as changed hands and this
    kind of thing tends to happen in such cases .

    , Sep 17, 2007
  9. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    > Hi,
    >

    > I probably ought to start this post with an apology but never the less.
    >
    > I am trying to fathom why voip.co.uk are so highly praised and rated for
    > their stability, etc. when it appears the reality is their service goes
    > down with almost clockwork precision and reliability (i.e. seemingly at
    > least once a week often twice or more a week - irrespective of the down
    > time [i.e.
    > > 5 minutes]).

    > I am neither pro nor anti them nor anyone else particularly. It just
    > bemuses and has bemused me as to why they are so praised particularly for
    > reliability when it seems that patently they in fact are not top-tier for
    > reliability (e.g. 5 9's or even 3 9's, etc.).
    >
    > Anyhoo.... if voipcheap et. al. (just as one example) can manage a league
    > better uptime, etc. why are voip.co.uk praised so highly and possibly even
    > more so than others who appear to show significantly better reliability /
    > uptime performance, for having supposedly great reliability and uptime
    > performance (not to mention they seem to have other inconsistencies and /
    > or regular problems - such as with billing, which other organisations do
    > not; yet voip.co.uk still seem to receive a very high amount of praise for
    > not having such problems????).
    >
    > As I say, I am not biased nor in preference of any one service or another,
    > just bemused as to how their can be regular handfuls of posts about
    > voip.co.uk problems and similar handfuls of posts about how their are no
    > problems with voip.co.uk? Hmm... odd... inconsistent, ... and the later
    > has to be false as a reflection of the reality of the former... anyhow,
    > thoughts, etc. welcomed.
    >

    > Many thanks and best wishes,
    >

    > News Reader
    >

    > P.s. Just wanted to ask this for quite a while, particularly as they are
    > often recommended with praise for excellence of uptime / reliability and
    > customer service / billing when other companies actually seem to perform a
    > league or more better and others regularly post about problems with
    > voip.co.uk (seems highly inconsistent or simply wrong).

    Hi,

    Thanks for all your posts.

    All in all, it seems that generally speaking, own equipment and ISP given,
    voip.co.uk are actually pretty fine!

    I am not a user myself - it is just gauging posts here. By comparison, I
    don't believe I have ever seen a post about problems or downtime with
    Finarea / Betamax (VoIP) services, etc.

    Thanks again for all the input. Once again, it seems that most any issues
    will be or are down to user equipment or the users ISP.

    Thanks again and best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Sep 17, 2007
  10. On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 13:57:02 GMT, "News Reader" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >

    >I probably ought to start this post with an apology but never the less.
    >
    >I am trying to fathom why voip.co.uk are so highly praised and rated for
    >their stability, etc. when it appears the reality is their service goes down
    >with almost clockwork precision and reliability (i.e. seemingly at least
    >once a week often twice or more a week - irrespective of the down time [i.e.
    > > 5 minutes]).

    >I am neither pro nor anti them nor anyone else particularly. It just bemuses
    >and has bemused me as to why they are so praised particularly for
    >reliability when it seems that patently they in fact are not top-tier for
    >reliability (e.g. 5 9's or even 3 9's, etc.).
    >
    >Anyhoo.... if voipcheap et. al. (just as one example) can manage a league
    >better uptime, etc. why are voip.co.uk praised so highly and possibly even
    >more so than others who appear to show significantly better reliability /
    >uptime performance, for having supposedly great reliability and uptime
    >performance (not to mention they seem to have other inconsistencies and / or
    >regular problems - such as with billing, which other organisations do not;
    >yet voip.co.uk still seem to receive a very high amount of praise for not
    >having such problems????).
    >
    >As I say, I am not biased nor in preference of any one service or another,
    >just bemused as to how their can be regular handfuls of posts about
    >voip.co.uk problems and similar handfuls of posts about how their are no
    >problems with voip.co.uk? Hmm... odd... inconsistent, ... and the later has
    >to be false as a reflection of the reality of the former... anyhow,
    >thoughts, etc. welcomed.
    >

    >Many thanks and best wishes,

    I can only speak from personal experience. I have been using
    voip.co.uk for the past 12 months. There have been about 3 outages in
    that time, each lasting a few hours.

    They are not as reliable as a PSTN operator like BT, but given the
    fact that they offer a service-rich product at a fraction of the price
    of the PSTN operators, I rate them very highly. I plan to remain a
    customer for the forseeable future.

    Steve

    Steve in Herts, Sep 22, 2007
  11. News Reader

    Ian Pawson Guest

    News Reader wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > I probably ought to start this post with an apology but never the less.
    >
    > I am trying to fathom why voip.co.uk are so highly praised and rated for
    > their stability, etc. when it appears the reality is their service goes down
    > with almost clockwork precision and reliability (i.e. seemingly at least
    > once a week often twice or more a week - irrespective of the down time [i.e.
    > > 5 minutes]).

    > I am neither pro nor anti them nor anyone else particularly. It just bemuses
    > and has bemused me as to why they are so praised particularly for
    > reliability when it seems that patently they in fact are not top-tier for
    > reliability (e.g. 5 9's or even 3 9's, etc.).
    >
    > Anyhoo.... if voipcheap et. al. (just as one example) can manage a league
    > better uptime, etc. why are voip.co.uk praised so highly and possibly even
    > more so than others who appear to show significantly better reliability /
    > uptime performance, for having supposedly great reliability and uptime
    > performance (not to mention they seem to have other inconsistencies and / or
    > regular problems - such as with billing, which other organisations do not;
    > yet voip.co.uk still seem to receive a very high amount of praise for not
    > having such problems????).
    >
    > As I say, I am not biased nor in preference of any one service or another,
    > just bemused as to how their can be regular handfuls of posts about
    > voip.co.uk problems and similar handfuls of posts about how their are no
    > problems with voip.co.uk? Hmm... odd... inconsistent, ... and the later has
    > to be false as a reflection of the reality of the former... anyhow,
    > thoughts, etc. welcomed.
    >

    > Many thanks and best wishes,
    >

    > News Reader
    >

    > P.s. Just wanted to ask this for quite a while, particularly as they are
    > often recommended with praise for excellence of uptime / reliability and
    > customer service / billing when other companies actually seem to perform a
    > league or more better and others regularly post about problems with
    > voip.co.uk (seems highly inconsistent or simply wrong).

    Well, I have now left them after 14 months. I was on the 12 month UK
    service, but when that ran out I was not told. I only found out when I
    queried begin charged for evening calls. It is not possible to renew
    this on their web site (or anything else for that matter). There have
    been several outages recently as well.
    In view of this I have moved to another provider. What surprised me was
    how much better the call quality was with them. I had always experienced
    an amount of echo, but that has now gone - calls no different to pstn. I
    have not made any changes to my ata (other that address, username etc).
    I am now paying per minute with no monthly charge and this suites my
    call usage. Also, I have no need on an incoming voip number.

    Ian Pawson, Sep 22, 2007
  12. News Reader

    Guest

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:57:31 +0100, Ian Pawson <>
    wrote:

    >Well, I have now left them after 14 months. I was on the 12 month UK
    >service, but when that ran out I was not told.

    So you want wet nursing do you Ian I knew when mine ran out and
    renewed on the appropriate date by telephone has I will next year
    when the date which I have STORED in my diary comes round.
    I never disclose sensitive information over the Internet such as
    credit card details etc no matter how much the company concerned
    say they are secure.
    > There have
    >been several outages recently as well.

    A total of three not several none of which where attributed directly
    to ukvoip systems .

    >I have no need on an incoming voip number.

    In that case why did you bother with ukvoip in the first place.

    Oh dear now there was I thinking I was a fussy one and always
    complaining , I have been with ukvoip over two years now and they have
    never given me cause to complain and had there been anything wrong
    with them I would have been away in the first month .

    , Sep 22, 2007
  13. News Reader

    Ed Straker Guest

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 18:17:38 GMT, Ron Chew wrote:

    >So you want wet nursing do you Ian I knew when mine ran out and

    <snip>

    Completely unnecessary adversarial rubbish.

    Ed.

    Ed Straker, Sep 22, 2007
  14. News Reader

    Ian Pawson Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:57:31 +0100, Ian Pawson <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Well, I have now left them after 14 months. I was on the 12 month UK
    >> service, but when that ran out I was not told.

    > So you want wet nursing do you Ian I knew when mine ran out and
    > renewed on the appropriate date by telephone has I will next year
    > when the date which I have STORED in my diary comes round.
    > I never disclose sensitive information over the Internet such as
    > credit card details etc no matter how much the company concerned
    > say they are secure.
    >> There have
    >> been several outages recently as well.

    > A total of three not several none of which where attributed directly
    > to ukvoip systems .
    >
    >> I have no need on an incoming voip number.

    > In that case why did you bother with ukvoip in the first place.
    >
    > Oh dear now there was I thinking I was a fussy one and always
    > complaining , I have been with ukvoip over two years now and they have
    > never given me cause to complain and had there been anything wrong
    > with them I would have been away in the first month .

    Thank you for your kind comments. I did ring the number provided only to
    be told the the yearly option (only paying for 10 months) was no longer
    available, but I could go on the monthly rate at £1.99.

    It is only good customer relations to advise people when their contracts
    are up for renewal.

    Ian Pawson, Sep 23, 2007
  15. News Reader

    Roger Mills Guest

    Ian Pawson <> wrote:

    > Thank you for your kind comments. I did ring the number provided only
    > to be told the the yearly option (only paying for 10 months) was no
    > longer available, but I could go on the monthly rate at £1.99.
    >
    > It is only good customer relations to advise people when their
    > contracts are up for renewal.

    Indeed. Futhermore, they're *still* listing the £19.99 annual option on
    their website http://www.voip.co.uk/res_products.html despite having killed
    it off over a month ago.
    --
    Cheers,