    the vendor softphone application ?
    other vendor specific VoIP related application ?

    Any comments or feedback on this topic ?

    Phil Schuman, Aug 25, 2006

  2. Phil Schuman

    Phil Schuman Guest

    Re: VoIP & Citrix (winterm 1200le) - vendor apps

    "Phil Schuman" <> wrote in message
    > We are researching the info for a VoIP solution.
    > In reviewing the information, we recently discovered
    > there may be various challenges with running VoIP vendor apps
    > with a Citrix based network.
    > We have real PCs with Citrix clients - local, remote, teleworker.
    > We have a few thin Citrix terminals, like the Wyse winterm...
    > ie - how is all this affecting....
    > the vendor unified messaging display application ?
    > the vendor softphone application ?
    > other vendor specific VoIP related application ?
    >
    > Any comments or feedback on this topic ?

    BTW - here's the info on the Wyse 1200LE winterm
    http://www.wyse.com/products/winterm/1200le/index.asp

    Phil Schuman, Aug 25, 2006

  3. Phil Schuman wrote:
    > We are researching the info for a VoIP solution.
    > In reviewing the information, we recently discovered
    > there may be various challenges with running VoIP vendor apps
    > with a Citrix based network.
    > We have real PCs with Citrix clients - local, remote, teleworker.
    > We have a few thin Citrix terminals, like the Wyse winterm...
    > ie - how is all this affecting....
    > the vendor unified messaging display application ?
    > the vendor softphone application ?
    > other vendor specific VoIP related application ?
    >
    > Any comments or feedback on this topic ?

    Rookie..can u explain me what Citrix is and how it works

    Great Vincent, Aug 26, 2006
  4. Hi Phil,

    You may already be aware of the Tek-Tips Citrix Solutions Forum:

    http://www.tek-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=48

    as well as the Citrix Support Forums:

    http://support.citrix.com/forums/index.jspa?categoryID=1

    Citrix - Cisco Partnership:

    http://www.bradreese.com/citrix-cisco-partnership.pdf

    Citrix - Cisco Networking:

    http://www.bradreese.com/citrix-cisco-networking.pdf

    Citrix IP Telephony Applications for Cisco CallManager Customers:

    http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/feature.asp?contentID=21016

    Your personal contacts at Citrix regarding Cisco:

    Mr. Tripp Purvis
    tripp.purvis *at* citrix.com
    Telephone: 954-267-3000

    or

    Mr. David Coleman
    david.coleman *at* citrix.com
    Telephone: 408-678-3357

    or

    Mr. Barry Phillips
    barry.phillips *at* citrix.com
    Telephone: 408-678-3309

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    Cisco IOS Software - Compatible Partner Matrix by Technology
    http://www.BradReese.Com
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    BradReese.Com - Global Cisco Systems Pre-Sales Support
    http://www.bradreese.com/contact-us.htm#CISCO

    www.BradReese.Com, Aug 27, 2006
  5. > there may be various challenges with running VoIP vendor apps
    > with a Citrix based network.

    It depends what you mean by VoIP? Do you mean something like Skype or are
    you looking for an office PBX solution that's VoIP based?

    If things like Skype, then yes - there are real barriers in a Citrix
    environment esp. with thin clients like Wyse terminals. The basic problem is
    you can't plug USB headsets/handsets into a Wyse terminal and get it to work
    over Citrix communicating with the softphone client (i.e. Skype) on the
    server.

    However, if you're looking for a office PBX system that happens to be VoIP
    based then there are options. Softphones are still out for the same reason
    as above. But if you're thinking about hard phones (i.e. a physical
    telephone) then you most of the top vendor's system will work in the Citrix
    environment. By "work" I mean that you can install the phone manager
    software on terminal server and it will communicate very effectively with
    the telephone on your desk. For example, you could dial from the phone
    manager or from Outlook. Conversely when a call comes into your phone,
    screen popups are also available.

    Things like voicemail's delivered to email will also still work as long as
    you accept the limitations of audio playback over Citrix. But then again, in
    a office environment, your work mates will get very annoyed at you playing
    back voicemail over speakers so you'd have to equip everyone with headsets.
    Audio playback to some Wyse terminals is not very good.

    And as you're using hardphones, you can still use VoIP to a telephone next
    to a remote Wyse terminal.

    But having been through the above very recently, the costs of VoIP as a
    replacement for office PBX systems just isn't there. We moved office
    recently and looked at Cisco, Avaya and Swyx. Swyx is very Citrix friendly
    and is a great system but the cost was just too much for us so we ended up
    with an analogue Avaya systems. Couldn't justify the extra features for the
    cost - cabling was cheap.

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Aug 31, 2006