    setup? There are two phone ports on the ATA and I could plug a second phone
    in and set that up using my Sipgate details but it would nice to be able to
    use the same phone.

    Port Admiral Haynes, Jan 31, 2007

  2. Port Admiral Haynes

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Port Admiral Haynes" <> wrote in message
    > I have started a new thread to explain what my current
    > set up has turned out to be and what I want from it.
    >
    > I THOUGHT I was getting a Linksys SPA 1001 BUT (long
    > story but my son got it for me!) it turns out I have a
    > Linksys PAP2.
    > I want to use VoipDiscount as they give me 120 "Free
    > Days" with 300 minutes per week to Malaysia and Singapore
    > (as well as "Free" Uk calls.) I say free but you have to
    > pay £10 every 4 months for these.
    > Anyway I have got the ATA set up and working with my
    > VoipDiscount settings and made my first few calls out.
    >
    > To go back to my original question, how do I get calls IN
    > to the VOIP phone. I now realise the VoipDiscount do not
    > give an incoming number. I have registered with Sipgate
    > and got a free number. How do I use it with this setup?
    > There are two phone ports on the ATA and I could plug a
    > second phone in and set that up using my Sipgate details
    > but it would nice to be able to use the same phone.

    For that you would indeed need a 1001. Or you could use a 2-line phone
    such as the BT Converse 2025 (now obsolete but still available on eBay and
    other places).

    To use the 2nd port with your Sipgate account, just configure the line
    with the required details (use the settings for the Sipura 2000 on the
    Sipgate site, they're almost identical).

    If you want a Sipgate number to test with, call my speaking clock on
    1431320 (PSTN 020 7042 1320).

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 31, 2007

  3. Port Admiral Haynes

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones explained on 31/01/2007 :
    > "Port Admiral Haynes" <> wrote in message
    >> I have started a new thread to explain what my current
    >> set up has turned out to be and what I want from it.
    >>
    >> I THOUGHT I was getting a Linksys SPA 1001 BUT (long
    >> story but my son got it for me!) it turns out I have a
    >> Linksys PAP2.
    >> I want to use VoipDiscount as they give me 120 "Free
    >> Days" with 300 minutes per week to Malaysia and Singapore
    >> (as well as "Free" Uk calls.) I say free but you have to
    >> pay £10 every 4 months for these.
    >> Anyway I have got the ATA set up and working with my
    >> VoipDiscount settings and made my first few calls out.
    >>
    >> To go back to my original question, how do I get calls IN
    >> to the VOIP phone. I now realise the VoipDiscount do not
    >> give an incoming number. I have registered with Sipgate
    >> and got a free number. How do I use it with this setup?
    >> There are two phone ports on the ATA and I could plug a
    >> second phone in and set that up using my Sipgate details
    >> but it would nice to be able to use the same phone.

    > For that you would indeed need a 1001. Or you could use a 2-line phone such
    > as the BT Converse 2025 (now obsolete but still available on eBay and other
    > places).
    >
    > To use the 2nd port with your Sipgate account, just configure the line with
    > the required details (use the settings for the Sipura 2000 on the Sipgate
    > site, they're almost identical).
    >
    > If you want a Sipgate number to test with, call my speaking clock on 1431320
    > (PSTN 020 7042 1320).
    >

    > Ivor

    Wouldn't a "combine a line" product work in this situation?

    I also seem to remember a haclk for the PAP2 that allows the phone on
    Line 1 access calls on line 2.......

    Jono, Jan 31, 2007
  4. "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > "Port Admiral Haynes" <> wrote in message
    >> I have started a new thread to explain what my current
    >> set up has turned out to be and what I want from it.
    >>
    >> I THOUGHT I was getting a Linksys SPA 1001 BUT (long
    >> story but my son got it for me!) it turns out I have a
    >> Linksys PAP2.
    >> I want to use VoipDiscount as they give me 120 "Free
    >> Days" with 300 minutes per week to Malaysia and Singapore
    >> (as well as "Free" Uk calls.) I say free but you have to
    >> pay £10 every 4 months for these.
    >> Anyway I have got the ATA set up and working with my
    >> VoipDiscount settings and made my first few calls out.
    >>
    >> To go back to my original question, how do I get calls IN
    >> to the VOIP phone. I now realise the VoipDiscount do not
    >> give an incoming number. I have registered with Sipgate
    >> and got a free number. How do I use it with this setup?
    >> There are two phone ports on the ATA and I could plug a
    >> second phone in and set that up using my Sipgate details
    >> but it would nice to be able to use the same phone.

    > For that you would indeed need a 1001. Or you could use a 2-line phone
    > such as the BT Converse 2025 (now obsolete but still available on eBay and
    > other places).
    >
    > To use the 2nd port with your Sipgate account, just configure the line
    > with the required details (use the settings for the Sipura 2000 on the
    > Sipgate site, they're almost identical).
    >
    > If you want a Sipgate number to test with, call my speaking clock on
    > 1431320 (PSTN 020 7042 1320).
    >

    > Ivor

    Ok thanks - I was just hoping I could somehow forward calls to line two
    (sipgate) to the phone connected to line one (vopidiscount) without the need
    to get a second phone.

    Port Admiral Haynes, Jan 31, 2007
  5. Port Admiral Haynes

    Scope Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Wouldn't a "combine a line" product work in this situation?

    Indeed it would.. I used a combina-a-line for a while and it works
    great.. It just means pushing buttons every now and then.

    A combine-a-line combines 2 lines into one phone/line.

    Scope, Jan 31, 2007
  6. Port Admiral Haynes

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Wouldn't a "combine a line" product work in this
    > situation?
    > I also seem to remember a haclk for the PAP2 that allows
    > the phone on Line 1 access calls on line 2.......

    Yes it probably would, but it's messy IMHO. A 2-line phone is far more
    convenient and the Converse 2025 allows conferencing of the 2 lines
    together with a single button push, which is very useful.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 31, 2007
  7. Port Admiral Haynes

    Meggahurtz Guest

    "Port Admiral Haynes" <> wrote in message

    When I hacked my PAP2 from Vonage I downgraded to a Sipura firmware which
    enabled me to access line 1 and 2 from the "Line 1" output on the PAP2 by
    just pushing the * key.

    I had Sipgate on line 1 and Voipcheap on line 2 but can I hell like remember
    how I did it now :s

    Meggahurtz, Jan 31, 2007
  8. Port Admiral Haynes

    Jono Guest

    Meggahurtz presented the following explanation :
    > "Port Admiral Haynes" <> wrote in message
    >
    > When I hacked my PAP2 from Vonage I downgraded to a Sipura firmware which
    > enabled me to access line 1 and 2 from the "Line 1" output on the PAP2 by
    > just pushing the * key.
    >
    > I had Sipgate on line 1 and Voipcheap on line 2 but can I hell like remember
    > how I did it now :s

    Wasn't the method to install the SPA1001 firmware?

    Jono, Jan 31, 2007
  9. Port Admiral Haynes

    Meggahurtz Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Meggahurtz presented the following explanation :
    >> "Port Admiral Haynes" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> When I hacked my PAP2 from Vonage I downgraded to a Sipura firmware which
    >> enabled me to access line 1 and 2 from the "Line 1" output on the PAP2 by
    >> just pushing the * key.
    >>
    >> I had Sipgate on line 1 and Voipcheap on line 2 but can I hell like
    >> remember how I did it now :s

    > Wasn't the method to install the SPA1001 firmware?

    I think you could be right, then I had a Dial plan I used which had my local
    std code which worked perfectly for me.

    Don`t know if the Dial Plan had any bearing on using the "*" though...

    Meggahurtz, Jan 31, 2007
  10. Port Admiral Haynes

    Brian Guest

    On 2007-01-31, Port Admiral Haynes <> wrote:

    > To go back to my original question, how do I get calls IN to the VOIP phone.
    > I now realise the VoipDiscount do not give an incoming number. I have
    > registered with Sipgate and got a free number. How do I use it with this
    > setup? There are two phone ports on the ATA and I could plug a second phone
    > in and set that up using my Sipgate details but it would nice to be able to
    > use the same phone.

    As you have discovered, the great disadvantage of a Sipgate number is
    the total lack of control you have over it. Now, if you had a geographic
    number you could divert to a phone of your choice you could very easily
    solve your problem without purchasing extra equipment or taking a degree
    in PAP2 Configuration Management.

    Simply point the number to <VoipDiscount_username@my_IP:port_number>. A
    static IP would be great. A dynamic IP requires a little more work. If
    you are behind NAT open your designated port and direct traffic to the
    PAP2.

    Where to get such a number? Spend an hour or two with a search engine.
    'DID' and 'Direct Inward Dial' as search terms will help. But to help
    you on your way there is this:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.telecom/msg/a12b727d6d032663?dmode=source&hl=en

    You might be interested enough to contact the company mentioned in this
    link. Any update in the information given, for example, on cost, control
    panel etc, could usefully be posted in this group.

    Brian.

    Brian, Jan 31, 2007
  11. Port Admiral Haynes

    Herman Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message

    > You might be interested enough to contact the company mentioned in this
    > link. Any update in the information given, for example, on cost, control
    > panel etc, could usefully be posted in this group.
    >
    > Brian.

    Absolutely. If there are good value DID providers out there, it would be
    worth knowing. The only one I looked at was Voxbone, but I found them too
    expensive at the time. I found a multi-account ATA to be a similar cost but
    more flexible.

    Herman, Jan 31, 2007
  12. Thus spaketh Port Admiral Haynes:
    > I have started a new thread to explain what my current set up has
    > turned out to be and what I want from it.
    >
    > I THOUGHT I was getting a Linksys SPA 1001 BUT (long story but my son
    > got it for me!) it turns out I have a Linksys PAP2.
    >
    > I want to use VoipDiscount as they give me 120 "Free Days" with 300
    > minutes per week to Malaysia and Singapore (as well as "Free" Uk
    > calls.) I say free but you have to pay £10 every 4 months for these.
    >
    > Anyway I have got the ATA set up and working with my VoipDiscount
    > settings and made my first few calls out.
    >
    > To go back to my original question, how do I get calls IN to the VOIP
    > phone. I now realise the VoipDiscount do not give an incoming number.
    > I have registered with Sipgate and got a free number. How do I use it
    > with this setup? There are two phone ports on the ATA and I could
    > plug a second phone in and set that up using my Sipgate details but
    > it would nice to be able to use the same phone.

    Like I said the other day, there is a way for free to get a local number
    and for it to ring your VoIPDiscount account, again I can't really
    publish it on here, so if you eMail me I can let you know, if you remove
    the spam trap I'll get the eMail.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 1, 2007
  13. "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Thus spaketh Port Admiral Haynes:
    >> I have started a new thread to explain what my current set up has
    >> turned out to be and what I want from it.
    >>
    >> I THOUGHT I was getting a Linksys SPA 1001 BUT (long story but my son
    >> got it for me!) it turns out I have a Linksys PAP2.
    >>
    >> I want to use VoipDiscount as they give me 120 "Free Days" with 300
    >> minutes per week to Malaysia and Singapore (as well as "Free" Uk
    >> calls.) I say free but you have to pay £10 every 4 months for these.
    >>
    >> Anyway I have got the ATA set up and working with my VoipDiscount
    >> settings and made my first few calls out.
    >>
    >> To go back to my original question, how do I get calls IN to the VOIP
    >> phone. I now realise the VoipDiscount do not give an incoming number.
    >> I have registered with Sipgate and got a free number. How do I use it
    >> with this setup? There are two phone ports on the ATA and I could
    >> plug a second phone in and set that up using my Sipgate details but
    >> it would nice to be able to use the same phone.

    > Like I said the other day, there is a way for free to get a local number
    > and for it to ring your VoIPDiscount account, again I can't really publish
    > it on here, so if you eMail me I can let you know, if you remove the spam
    > trap I'll get the eMail.
    >

    > --
    > 60 day free DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
    > Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/mob
    > Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    Email sent - many thanks

    Port Admiral Haynes, Feb 1, 2007
  14. Port Admiral Haynes

    Herman Guest

    > Thus spaketh Port Admiral Haynes:
    >> I have started a new thread to explain what my current set up has
    >> turned out to be and what I want from it.
    >>
    >> I THOUGHT I was getting a Linksys SPA 1001 BUT (long story but my son
    >> got it for me!) it turns out I have a Linksys PAP2.
    >>
    >> I want to use VoipDiscount as they give me 120 "Free Days" with 300
    >> minutes per week to Malaysia and Singapore (as well as "Free" Uk
    >> calls.) I say free but you have to pay £10 every 4 months for these.
    >>
    >> Anyway I have got the ATA set up and working with my VoipDiscount
    >> settings and made my first few calls out.
    >>
    >> To go back to my original question, how do I get calls IN to the VOIP
    >> phone. I now realise the VoipDiscount do not give an incoming number.
    >> I have registered with Sipgate and got a free number. How do I use it
    >> with this setup? There are two phone ports on the ATA and I could
    >> plug a second phone in and set that up using my Sipgate details but
    >> it would nice to be able to use the same phone.

    > Like I said the other day, there is a way for free to get a local number
    > and for it to ring your VoIPDiscount account, again I can't really publish
    > it on here, so if you eMail me I can let you know, if you remove the spam
    > trap I'll get the eMail.

    Go on, give us a clue, what is the key device or service that enables this.

    Herman, Feb 1, 2007
  15. Port Admiral Haynes

    Mike Sun Guest

    "Herman" <> wrote in message
    >> Like I said the other day, there is a way for free to get a local number
    >> and for it to ring your VoIPDiscount account, again I can't really
    >> publish it on here, so if you eMail me I can let you know, if you remove
    >> the spam trap I'll get the eMail.
    >>

    > Go on, give us a clue, what is the key device or service that enables
    > this.

    I don't think it's such a big secret - it is based on registering with
    www.voxalot.com and using them to route the calls to other service
    providers - for incoming and multiple outgoing providers according to your
    defined dial plan. Voxalot service web site describes its features, options
    and offerings.

    Cheers from Mike

    Mike Sun, Feb 1, 2007
  16. Thus spaketh Mike Sun:
    > "Herman" <> wrote in message
    >>> Like I said the other day, there is a way for free to get a local
    >>> number and for it to ring your VoIPDiscount account, again I can't
    >>> really publish it on here, so if you eMail me I can let you know,
    >>> if you remove the spam trap I'll get the eMail.
    >>>

    >> Go on, give us a clue, what is the key device or service that enables
    >> this.

    > I don't think it's such a big secret - it is based on registering with
    > www.voxalot.com and using them to route the calls to other service
    > providers - for incoming and multiple outgoing providers according to
    > your defined dial plan. Voxalot service web site describes its
    > features, options and offerings.
    >
    > Cheers from Mike

    It's not by using voxalot. So makes it a lot more reliable.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 1, 2007
  17. Port Admiral Haynes

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Meggahurtz" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > I think you could be right, then I had a Dial plan I used
    > which had my local std code which worked perfectly for me.
    >
    > Don`t know if the Dial Plan had any bearing on using the
    > "*" though...

    The default line switcher on the SPA-1001 is the # key.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 2, 2007