VOIP calls through Mesh based Networks

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by John Owens, Jun 15, 2005.

  1. John Owens

    John Owens Guest

    Hi

    I have set up voip phone on my router and can make calls. (Actually I have
    succeeded with two phones, a grandstream and a snom).

    However I can only receive inbound calls immediately after I have made an
    outgoing call. The problem is reported on the control screen as 'too many
    contacts' and on the snom phone it shows NR (?Not Registered ?).

    Gradwell support , who have been very good, had gone therough my settings
    etc. and we are reasonably sure that problem is not here. The current belief
    is that the problem lies in our community mesh network. I am two mesh boxes
    away from the ISP feed. Gradwell believe that there is a NAT problem , but
    possibly a workaround using a mesh based proxy ?

    The community network teccies have timed-out on this problem so I wonder of
    anybody reading this forum has experience of using voip through Mesh.

    NB
    *We do not have a local voip exchange within the community network, and
    using one is not a realistic likelihood in the near future. Therefore I am
    approaching this in the same way that any punter would- getting an account
    and connecting up.
    *I am not really talking about pc-pc calls. I want to use the phone to calll
    and receive from pots.

    --
    John Owens
    www.goodviews.co.uk
    John Owens, Jun 15, 2005

  2. On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:54:51 +0100, "John Owens"
    <> wrote:

    >so I wonder of
    >anybody reading this forum has experience of using voip through Mesh.

    Tom Anderson at SWBB does, I used a BTBBV box on his net and he has an
    asterisk server setup running but is also promoting "direct" VoIP as
    you describe.

    It sounds like a firewall or NAT is opening an incoming port based on
    your originated call but won't do the same and hour later as there
    isn't a port forwarding rule in place for the incoming call.

    I don't think this is a Mesh thing specifically, its more a multipe
    VoIP users behind NAT thing.

    The CBN Exchange or their yahoogroup or
    http://www.wireless.southwitham.net/ would be contact points

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !
    Phil Thompson, Jun 16, 2005

  3. John Owens

    John Owens Guest

    Fax +44 1509 890822
    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:54:51 +0100, "John Owens"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >so I wonder of
    > >anybody reading this forum has experience of using voip through Mesh.

    > Tom Anderson at SWBB does, I used a BTBBV box on his net and he has an
    > asterisk server setup running but is also promoting "direct" VoIP as
    > you describe.

    Thanks

    I have posted in experts exchange. I didn't know that Tom was promoting
    direct voip as well as via his asterix exchange.

    I don't think we have multiple users yet, but who knows ?

    John
    --
    John Owens
    www.goodviews.co.uk
    John Owens, Jun 16, 2005
  4. On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:35:26 +0100, "John Owens"
    <> wrote:

    >I have posted in experts exchange.

    I wouldn't both with that its too glacial
    put it in the unmoderated one (I forget what its called)

    The problem with Asterisk would be the adminstrative load of being a
    VoIP service provider to the end users, and there will be some users
    who want to do their own thing.

    Skype, MGCP and IAX work fine on their mesh the SIP stuff is I think
    just being tested.

    Your issue sounds like the standard NAT traversal of SIP issues.
    Google for "SIP NAT traversal Mesh" and you'll have plenty to read.

    http://www.locustworld.com/tracker/wiki?p=SipOverMesh specifically
    addresses your situation.

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, Jun 16, 2005
  5. John Owens

    John Owens Guest

    > Your issue sounds like the standard NAT traversal of SIP issues.
    > Google for "SIP NAT traversal Mesh" and you'll have plenty to read.
    >
    > http://www.locustworld.com/tracker/wiki?p=SipOverMesh specifically
    > addresses your situation.
    >
    > Phil

    Many thanks

    One of our teccies had sent me the same locustworld link but you forced me
    to re-read it and I found a possible proxy listing, vpnhosts.

    --
    John Owens
    www.goodviews.co.uk
    John Owens, Jun 17, 2005