    germany without incurring roaming charges using one of the many voip service
    providers?

    Ian
    Ian Smart, Nov 21, 2005

  2. Ian Smart

    Iain Miller Guest

    "Ian Smart" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anyone know if it is possible to call a uk mobile phone located in
    > germany without incurring roaming charges using one of the many voip
    > service
    > providers?

    Unlikely. The roaming charges will be levied by the mobile providers & I
    can't see how you can bypass them. The German network (to which the phone is
    logged in) will have to deliver the call & they will charge the UK network
    provider who will charge the user. In fact the call will be routed through
    the UK network provider because they hold the number & they will know that
    the phone is in Germany & on a German network & so will charge a roaming
    "call received rate" automatically.

    I.
    Iain Miller, Nov 21, 2005

  3. "Iain Miller" <> wrote in message

    > Unlikely. The roaming charges will be levied by the mobile providers & I
    > can't see how you can bypass them. The German network (to which the phone

    is
    > logged in) will have to deliver the call & they will charge the UK network
    > provider who will charge the user. In fact the call will be routed through
    > the UK network provider because they hold the number & they will know that
    > the phone is in Germany & on a German network & so will charge a roaming
    > "call received rate" automatically.

    Correct. Roaming charges always apply if you receive calls while abroad.
    VOIP cannot changes this
    However, in some countries, roaming charges do not apply between phones
    connected to the same network.
    I had this recently in Singapore:
    situation:
    Me (a Belgian user) calls a Hong-Kong colleague, both physically in
    Singapore, and connected to the same SG provider
    Normal situation:
    * Belgian user calls a HK number: get charged for a international call form
    SG to HK
    * Hong Kong user get charged for the roaming fees for incoming calls in SG
    In Singapore, I could call my HK colleague, using a prefix before the called
    number (don't remember the code)
    * Belgian user is charged for a local call in Singapore (cheapest rate:
    inland rate between users of the same provider)
    * Hong Kong user is not charged (calls were not passed trough HK)

    I'm have not heard about such service in Germany.

    By the way: all providers are technically able to provide such service. If 2
    users are connected to the same network, it must technically be possible to
    connect them WITHOUT routing via the original countries of those users. This
    just adds unnecessary costs to the bill (which is of course not in the
    interest of the providers to change this...)

    Philippe
    BE
    Philippe Deleye, Nov 21, 2005
  4. Go to phone box, text them the number :))))

    Marcel z maleho mesta, Nov 21, 2005
  5. Ian Smart

    Lars Wolos Guest

    "Philippe Deleye" <> wrote:

    > Correct. Roaming charges always apply if you receive calls while abroad.

    No. Use a sim card from http://www.united-mobile.com aka http://www.riiing.com/
    and you will enjoy free incoming calls in 80 countries or so :)

    Besides, I've also got a Global Termination card from http://www.gt-sim.com/ -
    they issue +447624 Manx Telecom numbers and incoming calls are free in the
    user's country of origin, so for me, because I have a German address, incoming
    calls on +447624... are free in Germany.

    [roaming charges not applying between phones connected to the same network]
    > I'm have not heard about such service in Germany.

    Unfortunately there isn't one, but you can buy as many dirt cheap pre-
    registered payg sim cards off ebay as in the uk :)

    Best regards,
    Lars
    Lars Wolos, Nov 21, 2005
  6. Ian Smart

    plus44

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Manx

    Hi Lars,
    Which do you think is cheaper? the riiing.com or global termination?

    Are you receiving FREE CALLS & FREE SMS when you are overseas away from your country of registration?

    In other words it doesnt really matter where the sim is registered right? (if receiving voice n sms are free ).

    What sim cards can we buy from ebay anyway?

    high regards
    lee:lol:
    plus44, Aug 4, 2012