VoIP behind a NAT: STUN vs. (outbound) proxy?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Ramon F Herrera, Jul 31, 2005.

  1. It seems that a user behind a typical domestic LAN has to use either
    STUN or a proxy in order to perform VoIP. I am unclear in some things.

    My Sipura 2100 has a space to type a "Proxy" and an "Outbound Proxy".
    The documentation suggests to use fwd.pulver.com and
    fwdnat.pulver.com:5082 respectively.

    What is the difference between those two proxies?

    The STUN protocol is not mentioned in that device's administrative
    page. Does that mean that the SPR-2100 has no support for STUN?

    According to some documentation that I read, the use of a proxy
    requires that all voice traffic passes through that proxy, while STUN
    only the call initiation passes through the STUN server.

    Am I to understand that pulver.com has enough bandwidth to serve as a
    proxy server (processing voice traffic) for anyone that needs their
    service (anyone behind a NAT, for starters)??

    Thanks,

    -Ramon F Herrera

    Ramon F Herrera, Jul 31, 2005

  2. Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > It seems that a user behind a typical domestic LAN has to use either
    > STUN or a proxy in order to perform VoIP. I am unclear in some things.
    >
    > My Sipura 2100 has a space to type a "Proxy" and an "Outbound Proxy".
    > The documentation suggests to use fwd.pulver.com and
    > fwdnat.pulver.com:5082 respectively.
    >
    > What is the difference between those two proxies?

    fwd.pulver.com is the "proxy/registrar" where a User Agent (or "UA", in
    your case the SPA-2100) "registers", i.e. it basically tells it: "If
    someone calls the number I have with you, pass the call here at the IP
    address and UDP port number so-and-so". This information is contained
    in the "Register" message, but sometimes proxy registrars disregard it,
    and instead use the source IP address and port number of the UDP packet
    that transported the message. This is because they assume that the
    content might reflect the internal address of the UA (the one on the
    LAN behind the NAT). NAT and SIP are awkward bedfellows, and there is
    an entire bag of tricks developed in recent years to try and make them
    work together. And still, sometimes they don't :-(

    fwdnat.pulver.com:5082 is the "outbound proxy", i.e. the one that your
    UA contacts when it wants to initiate a call to someone else.

    > The STUN protocol is not mentioned in that device's administrative
    > page. Does that mean that the SPR-2100 has no support for STUN?

    Yes, it does. I forgot on which page it is, but on the SPA-3000 it's in
    the "SIP" screen in the field "STUN Server:". I set it to
    "stun.fwdnet.net:3478".

    > According to some documentation that I read, the use of a proxy
    > requires that all voice traffic passes through that proxy, while STUN
    > only the call initiation passes through the STUN server.

    That's not entirely correct. The STUN server is only used by the UA to
    learn the external IP address of its NAT router, and the type of NAT
    (full cone, port restricted, symmetrical etc.); the SIP dialogue for
    the session initiation goes through the outbound proxy (if used, else
    through the proxy/registrar). The actual RTP streams that transport the
    voice packets may or may not go through the outbound proxy, depending
    on the settings of the proxy and the capabilities of the two endpoint
    UA's (ability to issue re-invites). Unfortunately it's very hard to
    have two UA's both behind NAT talk to each other directly, so most of
    the times the RTP traffic is channeled through the outbound proxy.

    > Am I to understand that pulver.com has enough bandwidth to serve as a
    > proxy server (processing voice traffic) for anyone that needs their
    > service (anyone behind a NAT, for starters)??

    Yes. But that, at most, requires about 80 kbit/s per conversation (or
    less, if compressed codecs are used): and not everybody is off hook at
    the same time...

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Jul 31, 2005

  3. Hello,

    > According to some documentation that I read, the use of a proxy
    > requires that all voice traffic passes through that proxy, while STUN
    > only the call initiation passes through the STUN server.

    You are probably confusing "SIP proxy" with "RTP proxy". [Outbound] SIP
    proxy is where your SIP phone will send a SIP INVITE message. RTP proxy is
    where the RTP stream will go to (if SIP proxy will decide to engage the
    RTP proxy and not send the voice stream directly). STUN is not related to
    the call initiation, it is just a "consulting" service, which allows SIP
    phone to learn what type of NAT/firewall it is behind.

    BTW, there is really good description of NAT traversal issues and possible
    solutions for ITSP in the "PortaSIP User Guide"
    (http://www.portaone.com/resources/documentation/index.html)

    WBR, Andrew
    --
    Andrew Zhilenko
    Please remove "hide-email." from my email address when replying,

    Andrew Zhilenko, Jul 31, 2005