    over the internet?

    Thanks,
    Jay

    Jay, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Jay

    No.6 Guest

    Reliability is really based on your ISP with VoIP. But personally I have no
    problems using https://www.voicepulse.com/
    It has been very reliable for my business. As to cutting cost well, it more
    then cut over 75% off my phone bill.

    --
    Broadwayman.com

    Phone: 1.212.400.7508
    Web Site: http://www.Broadwayman.com - Out of Print Broadway Posters and
    Everything Broadway and New York.
    P.S Enjoy on new forums at http://broadwayman.proboards7.com/ We hope to
    see you there.

    No.6, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Jay

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Jay <> wrote:
    > We are a small business with 5 tel. lines, 1 SDSL connection. I was
    > approached by a VoIP vendor regarding a VoIP based product that would cut
    > our phone bills by 1/2. I haven't looked at it yet. I am just looking for
    > the main advantages/drawbacks. Main worry would be reliability. BTW, is
    > this over the internet?

    This isn't enough information to say anything useful. Who is the vendor?
    What is the product?

    This could be anything from an IP device at your premises, to a service that
    your calls get switched to by your existing phone company... or something in
    between. Each of these has its own advantages and drawbacks.

    miguel
    --
    Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/

    Miguel Cruz, Dec 17, 2003
  4. Jay

    KH Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message news:<At1Eb.37481$>...
    > We are a small business with 5 tel. lines, 1 SDSL connection. I was
    > approached by a VoIP vendor regarding a VoIP based product that would cut
    > our phone bills by 1/2. I haven't looked at it yet. I am just looking for
    > the main advantages/drawbacks. Main worry would be reliability. BTW, is this
    > over the internet?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jay

    Jay,

    You'll get answers here - http://www.telecomstrader.com

    KH, Dec 17, 2003
  5. Jay

    shido Guest

    Jay,

    What kind of SDSL pipe do you have? (http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/)

    These 5 lines, are they coming from the telco or are they extensions hanging
    off of a PBX?

    Would you be interested in using a Phone you can plug into your LAN? Each
    phone can be contacted by an extension number you can set. Each extension
    can have its own voicemail and you can bring anyone who you call or calls
    you into a conference room.

    Would you be interested in using SoftPhones? Each PC running linux or
    windows can have a software phone you run as an application on your systems
    for use with a microphone and headset, using your computer as a telephone.
    Voicemail, PBX, and conferencing still apply here.

    Are you looking to use your newly acquired LD service remotely? Say you have
    an IP Phone or Softphone at home you want to register to your business
    system and use it at home as you would at the office... does this sound like
    something you could use?

    Don't be afraid to ask them questions before purchasing.

    What about Long Distance service? Can you connect the gear to the 'net to
    use VoIP services and truly benefit from VoIP? Or are they simply offering
    hardware?

    When you check your email can you receive your voicemail?

    I know a lot of systems out there don't quite add up to Asterisk
    (www.asterisk.org) which includes all of the above features but if you're
    going to pay for something you should at least be able to ask the vendor how
    you can use the system or how will it beneift you. If this vendor isn't on
    point for each question you ask you may want to reconsider and look towards
    an open source solution with the ability to adapt with the requirements of
    your business or your clients.

    Hope this helps....

    --
    Greg Merriweather