    Guessing that it would be about the same as 56k bit modem that works out
    about 40 hours or are my calculations wrong?

    AJH
    andrew, Jan 1, 2010

  2. In article <>,
    andrew <> wrote:
    >I'm trying to judge how much bandwidth I'll use, to see how many hours of
    >talk time 1GB of payg 3g broadband will give me. Assuming the provider
    >doesn't fix the qos on a voip call.
    >
    >Guessing that it would be about the same as 56k bit modem that works out
    >about 40 hours or are my calculations wrong?

    Uncompressed G711 voice over IP uses about 80Kbits per second, each
    way. It's 64,000 bits per second plus the IP overhead.

    If you're using compression (e.g. GSM, G729, etc) then it will be
    much less.

    You're looking at about 29 hours of speech - one way, but if that 1GB
    is counted as both ways data, then it's half, or about 14 hours.

    It's not QoS that may be an issue it's more like the terms & conditions
    of service. You may well find they prohibit VoIP or other streaming media,
    so they may kick you off. Latency may also be an issue - it's quite high,
    so you may notice delays. A bit like long distance calls used to be via
    sattelite. (And sometimes still are)

    Good luck!

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jan 1, 2010

  3. andrew

    andrew Guest

    Christian wrote:

    >> I'm trying to judge how much bandwidth I'll use, to see how many
    >> hours of talk time 1GB of payg 3g broadband will give me.
    >>
    >> Guessing that it would be about the same as 56k bit modem that
    >> works out about 40 hours or are my calculations wrong?

    > Is that 1GB up and down combined? Remember that you have 2 streams going:
    > one up and one down. So that reduces the result of that calculation to 20
    > hours.
    >
    > Another thing: if you use a G711-codec, it should be 64kbit (G726 or G729
    > are more economical, but sound worse). So that gets you to 17 hours on
    > 1GB.

    Yes I had missed the up and down but presumably people mostly don't speak at
    once so the silence shouldn't count?

    Either way 17 hours is a lot of talking a month!

    Thanks Christian
    andrew, Jan 1, 2010
  4. andrew

    Graham. Guest

    "andrew" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm trying to judge how much bandwidth I'll use, to see how many hours of
    > talk time 1GB of payg 3g broadband will give me. Assuming the provider
    > doesn't fix the qos on a voip call.
    >
    > Guessing that it would be about the same as 56k bit modem that works out
    > about 40 hours or are my calculations wrong?
    >
    > AJH

    If you have a compatible handset, you can freeload on the 3 free Skype
    calls forever promise, and call through a Skype to SIP gateway.

    http://www.skypegateway.webs.com/

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%