    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Apr 16, 2008

  2. In article <fV45K0OBJxbE-pn2-zFnMqMmpUnuO@localhost>,
    Dave Saville <> wrote:
    >My ISP provides statistics for my line and IP addresses (I have 8
    >"real" addresses) as I have my SIP box on a dedicated IP I can see the
    >usage. It does however appear to be asymetric with the "download"
    >being very much less than the "upload" 2 or 3 to 1. Is this normal or
    >does SWMBO talk more than she listens? :)

    It could be the case if the service you're connecting to supports
    silence suppression. Does the actual number make sense - eg. on a 5+
    minute call do you see it peaking at 80Kb/sec for example?

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Apr 16, 2008

  3. Dave Saville

    Chris Davies Guest

    Dave Saville <> wrote:
    > I have my SIP box on a dedicated IP I can see the usage. It does
    > however appear to be asymetric with the "download" being very much
    > less than the "upload" 2 or 3 to 1 [...]

    Asymmetric codec negotiation?
    Chris

    Chris Davies, Apr 16, 2008
  4. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:50:53 UTC, Gordon Henderson
    <> wrote:

    > In article <fV45K0OBJxbE-pn2-zFnMqMmpUnuO@localhost>,
    > Dave Saville <> wrote:
    > >My ISP provides statistics for my line and IP addresses (I have 8
    > >"real" addresses) as I have my SIP box on a dedicated IP I can see the
    > >usage. It does however appear to be asymetric with the "download"
    > >being very much less than the "upload" 2 or 3 to 1. Is this normal or
    > >does SWMBO talk more than she listens? :)

    > It could be the case if the service you're connecting to supports
    > silence suppression. Does the actual number make sense - eg. on a 5+
    > minute call do you see it peaking at 80Kb/sec for example?

    I don't think I can drill down to that sort of detail - The stats are
    just daily up/down per IP

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Apr 16, 2008
  5. "Chris Davies" <> wrote in message
    > Asymmetric codec negotiation?
    > Chris

    * Indeed, this could be the case. Incoming and outgoing Codecs do not
    necessarely have to be the same.
    * And of course .... more talking than listening could influence different
    up- or download volumes.

    Philippe Deleye, Apr 17, 2008
  6. Dave Saville

    News Reader Guest

    "Philippe Deleye" <> wrote in message

    > "Chris Davies" <> wrote in message
    >> Asymmetric codec negotiation?
    >> Chris

    > * Indeed, this could be the case. Incoming and outgoing Codecs do not
    > necessarely have to be the same.
    > * And of course .... more talking than listening could influence different
    > up- or download volumes.

    Hi,

    Equally, silence suppression on downstream, and off upstream, might be a
    factor (and not unknown - on some equipment I turn off local silence
    suppression as others complain... whereas with different [e.g. industrial
    grade kit], it may not be so noticeable and so can be safely on [such as may
    be the case with the downstream or incoming audio with the ITSP in use as
    part of your installation / configuration]).

    Hope this may be of some help.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Apr 18, 2008