VoIP Bandwidth

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Mark Adamson, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. Mark Adamson

    Mark Adamson Guest

    Mark Adamson, Aug 23, 2005

  2. Mark Adamson

    F9 Guest

    F9, Aug 23, 2005

  3. Mathew Curtis, Aug 23, 2005
  4. Mark Adamson

    Mark Adamson Guest

    "F9" <> wrote in message
    news:1124791533.7ae14f7b9a418402acb6ef056116f3fd@teranews...
    > "Mark Adamson" <> wrote in message
    >> Do you think this will be enough for a VoIP line?
    >>
    >> http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=53f622af1037e546a6453f622af
    >>
    >> teehee

    > At the risk of encouraging a troll.
    >
    > Are you serious? You can run VOIP on a 56K modem successfully.

    does being a little sarcastic count as being a troll? :) Sorry, I couldn't
    help it.

    I was really just showing off the uni connection, which I have yet to find a
    particularly good use for other than downloading linux dvds (which funnily
    take longer to copy from the browser temp dir to the save location than they
    do to download into the temp dir in the first place).

    End of OT sillyness

    Mark Adamson, Aug 23, 2005
  5. Mark Adamson

    Sean Guest

    Mark Adamson wrote:

    > I was really just showing off the uni connection, which I have yet to find a
    > particularly good use for other than downloading linux dvds (which funnily
    > take longer to copy from the browser temp dir to the save location than they
    > do to download into the temp dir in the first place).
    >
    > End of OT sillyness

    If you use firefox it downloads straight to the directry you want
    without using the browser cache..... And is faster :)

    Sean, Aug 23, 2005
  6. Shane Carpenter, Aug 23, 2005
  7. >>> Mark Adamson<> 23/08/2005 11:37 >>>
    >I was really just showing off the uni connection, which I have yet to find a
    >particularly good use for other than downloading linux dvds (which funnily
    >take longer to copy from the browser temp dir to the save location than they
    >do to download into the temp dir in the first place).

    Wow, that's a slow Janet link, my friend is an IT manager at a uni with a 100mb Internet pipe :)

    Shane Carpenter, Aug 23, 2005
  8. Mark Adamson

    Mark Adamson Guest

    "Shane Carpenter" <news@shanes_replace_nospam_with_org.nospam> wrote in
    message news:430b045d$0$2497$...

    >>I was really just showing off the uni connection, which I have yet to find
    >>particularly good use for other than downloading linux dvds (which funnily
    >>take longer to copy from the browser temp dir to the save location than
    >>they
    >>do to download into the temp dir in the first place).

    > Wow, that's a slow Janet link, my friend is an IT manager at a uni with a
    > 100mb Internet pipe :)

    I expect they split it up depending on who you are, that speed test was in
    the library, last time I checked in halls we 'only' get up to an 8meg chunk,
    though that was 3 years ago, I shall know better in October.

    Mark Adamson, Aug 23, 2005
  9. Mark Adamson

    Mark Adamson Guest

    "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > Mark Adamson wrote:
    >

    >> I was really just showing off the uni connection, which I have yet to
    >> find a
    >> particularly good use for other than downloading linux dvds (which
    >> funnily
    >> take longer to copy from the browser temp dir to the save location than
    >> they
    >> do to download into the temp dir in the first place).
    >>
    >> End of OT sillyness

    > If you use firefox it downloads straight to the directry you want without
    > using the browser cache..... And is faster :)

    Since then I have converted :) and am very happy with my mouse gestures and
    middle click and uniformity accross OS etc etc

    Mark Adamson, Aug 23, 2005
  10. Mark Adamson

    Sean Guest

    Mark Adamson wrote:

    > Since then I have converted :) and am very happy with my mouse gestures and
    > middle click and uniformity accross OS etc etc

    I don't know what you mean about your mouse gestures..... But anyway...
    Firefox is a cool browser

    Sean, Aug 23, 2005
  11. Mark Adamson

    stephen Guest

    > "Shane Carpenter" <news@shanes_replace_nospam_with_org.nospam> wrote in
    > message news:430b045d$0$2497$...
    > >>I was really just showing off the uni connection, which I have yet to

    find
    > >>particularly good use for other than downloading linux dvds (which

    funnily
    > >>take longer to copy from the browser temp dir to the save location than
    > >>they
    > >>do to download into the temp dir in the first place).

    > > Wow, that's a slow Janet link, my friend is an IT manager at a uni with

    > > 100mb Internet pipe :)

    most of the big pipes in the UK academic network are 10G - so you are "only"
    getting a small chunk.

    the bandwidth you get will be limited by which Uni and any bandwidth
    limiting they do.

    Network map for JANet:
    http://www.janet.ac.uk/about/topology/janetbackboneschematic.pdf

    --
    Regards

    stephen, Aug 23, 2005
  12. Mark Adamson

    Mark Adamson Guest

    "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > Mark Adamson wrote:
    >
    >> Since then I have converted :) and am very happy with my mouse gestures
    >> and middle click and uniformity accross OS etc etc

    > I don't know what you mean about your mouse gestures..... But anyway...
    > Firefox is a cool browser

    One firefox extension among many

    https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=12

    Mark Adamson, Aug 23, 2005
  13. Mark Adamson

    Mark Adamson Guest

    > most of the big pipes in the UK academic network are 10G - so you are
    > "only"
    > getting a small chunk.
    >
    > the bandwidth you get will be limited by which Uni and any bandwidth
    > limiting they do.
    >
    > Network map for JANet:
    > http://www.janet.ac.uk/about/topology/janetbackboneschematic.pdf

    That diagram seems to show that most unis would get up to 622Mbit, eg. ones
    coming off MidMan like we do.

    Also, the "external links" one is 622Mbit, which I presume is the internet
    and there are two of them being shared among all.

    But I have probably misunderstood it a little

    Mark Adamson, Aug 23, 2005
  14. Mark Adamson

    F9 Guest

    > "F9" <> wrote in message
    >> "Mark Adamson" <> wrote in message
    >>> Do you think this will be enough for a VoIP line?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=53f622af1037e546a6453f622af
    >>>
    >>> teehee

    >> At the risk of encouraging a troll.
    >>
    >> Are you serious? You can run VOIP on a 56K modem successfully.
    >>

    > does being a little sarcastic count as being a troll? :) Sorry, I couldn't
    > help it.
    >
    > I was really just showing off the uni connection, which I have yet to find
    > particularly good use for other than downloading linux dvds (which funnily
    > take longer to copy from the browser temp dir to the save location than
    > they
    > do to download into the temp dir in the first place).
    >
    > End of OT sillyness

    Are you sure your uni allows this? Most Uk uni's frown on any high bandwidth
    usage and will seek you out....

    F9, Aug 23, 2005
  15. Mark Adamson

    Mark Adamson Guest

    >> does being a little sarcastic count as being a troll? :) Sorry, I
    >> couldn't
    >> help it.
    >>
    >> I was really just showing off the uni connection, which I have yet to
    >> find a
    >> particularly good use for other than downloading linux dvds (which
    >> funnily
    >> take longer to copy from the browser temp dir to the save location than
    >> they
    >> do to download into the temp dir in the first place).
    >>
    >> End of OT sillyness

    > Are you sure your uni allows this? Most Uk uni's frown on any high
    > bandwidth usage and will seek you out....

    the linux dvd downloading? Yeah, they are really good about that kind of
    stuff. Its not like there is one to download every day or anything like
    that.

    As I said somewhere else, they don't even block p2p but just put it in the
    lowest priority bit of their traffic shaper, which I believe makes it
    unbearably slow. I'm sure soon, with all these lawsuits, they will start
    cracking down on illegal stuff, but they would definitely not frown at linux
    downloading as it creates more intelligent students! (apart from me).

    I just hope SIP/RTP is up in the priority list, cos I've invested in the
    sipura and dect phones already :-S

    Mark Adamson, Aug 23, 2005
  16. Mark Adamson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > Mark Adamson wrote:
    >
    > > Since then I have converted :) and am very happy with
    > > my mouse gestures and middle click and uniformity
    > > accross OS etc etc

    > I don't know what you mean about your mouse gestures.....
    > But anyway... Firefox is a cool browser

    Reminds me of Netscape, any common origins..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 23, 2005
  17. Mark Adamson

    stephen Guest

    > > most of the big pipes in the UK academic network are 10G - so you are
    > > "only"
    > > getting a small chunk.
    > >
    > > the bandwidth you get will be limited by which Uni and any bandwidth
    > > limiting they do.
    > >
    > > Network map for JANet:
    > > http://www.janet.ac.uk/about/topology/janetbackboneschematic.pdf
    > >

    > That diagram seems to show that most unis would get up to 622Mbit, eg.

    ones
    > coming off MidMan like we do.
    >
    > Also, the "external links" one is 622Mbit, which I presume is the internet
    > and there are two of them being shared among all.

    i dont think that diagram shows the external links or speeds - try
    http://www.janet.ac.uk/about/topology/workingwiththeworld.pdf

    the peering policy documents the links they are willing to publish info
    about:
    http://www.janet.ac.uk/services/network-services/peering/external-connectivity.html

    the aggregate is around 40 Gbps, but you would never get near that in
    practice, since the traffic distribution would not match the link
    bandwidths.

    the dates go back a fair way so some links may have been upgraded since.

    stephen, Aug 23, 2005
  18. Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Sean" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mark Adamson wrote:
    >>

    >>>Since then I have converted :) and am very happy with
    >>>my mouse gestures and middle click and uniformity
    >>>accross OS etc etc

    >>I don't know what you mean about your mouse gestures.....
    >>But anyway... Firefox is a cool browser

    > Reminds me of Netscape, any common origins..?
    >
    > Ivor

    Err yeah, Firefox is derived from Mozilla, the open source project that
    came from Netscape.

    Thomas Rankin, Aug 23, 2005
  19. Mark Adamson

    Sean Guest

    Thomas Rankin wrote:

    >> Reminds me of Netscape, any common origins..?
    >>
    >> Ivor
    >>

    > Err yeah, Firefox is derived from Mozilla, the open source project that
    > came from Netscape.

    Could not have said it better myself

    Sean, Aug 23, 2005