VoIP bandwidth

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Erhard Ducke, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Erhard Ducke

    Erhard Ducke Guest

    Hi cdv!

    How much traffic is caused by VoIP?
    I know that there are many codecs in use therefore I give you some
    more information:

    I'm working with the German 'Fritz!Box Fon' and plan to use
    http://www.sipgate.de as VoIP provider.

    On their website they say that the data traffic is about 100 MB per
    hour so it should be about 300 kbps.

    Is it obvious from this information what codec is used?
    Is this traffic calculation realistic?

    Why did my DSL-Provider calculate about 4-6 MB per minute when I
    talked to the hotline?

    Thanks for any advice!

    --
    Regards
    Erhard

    Erhard Ducke, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Erhard Ducke

    -=-peas-=- Guest

    "Erhard Ducke" <> wrote in message
    > Hi cdv!
    >
    > How much traffic is caused by VoIP?

    How long is a peice of string ?

    > I know that there are many codecs in use therefore I give you some
    > more information:
    >
    > I'm working with the German 'Fritz!Box Fon' and plan to use
    > http://www.sipgate.de as VoIP provider.
    >
    > On their website they say that the data traffic is about 100 MB per
    > hour so it should be about 300 kbps.
    >
    > Is it obvious from this information what codec is used?
    > Is this traffic calculation realistic?
    >
    > Why did my DSL-Provider calculate about 4-6 MB per minute when I
    > talked to the hotline?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice!

    Modern codecs use between 8-16Kb/s per call and older ones can use 64Kb/s
    per call, however you need to work out your call duration and concurrent
    call number to work out your bandwidth.
    Packetizer has a good tool that can help you work this out, although you may
    need to ask some questions of you voip provider to get the right info:

    http://www.packetizer.com/iptel/diagnostics/bandcalc.html

    > --
    > Regards
    > Erhard