    Thanks for any feedback.
    --
    Paul McGuinness

    Paul McGuinness, Nov 20, 2008

  2. Paul McGuinness

    Tim Guest

    Paul McGuinness wrote:
    > Hi
    > I need to receive calls that I would like to keep separate from my home
    > land line phone service - essentially receiving calls from clients for a
    > support service. Short of installing another land line, is VOIP a
    > reasonable alternative? Which would be the most suitable provider? I
    > don't anticipate making many calls out, though some certainly. Sorry I
    > can't be more specific.

    If you have broadband, then yes.

    I have my office phone number ring at home and I use it all the time.
    We have an asterisk based PBX in the office, and use Snom phones.

    Tim

    Tim, Nov 20, 2008

  3. Paul McGuinness

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Paul McGuinness wrote:
    > Hi
    > I need to receive calls that I would like to keep separate from my home
    > land line phone service - essentially receiving calls from clients for a
    > support service. Short of installing another land line, is VOIP a
    > reasonable alternative? Which would be the most suitable provider? I
    > don't anticipate making many calls out, though some certainly. Sorry I
    > can't be more specific.
    > Thanks for any feedback.

    You'll need an ATA (analogue telephone adaptor) into which to plug a
    phone, then there are any number of providers. Sipgate
    (www.sipgate.co.uk) have free geographic numbers in any area code of
    your choice, no charge unless you make outgoing calls.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 20, 2008
  4. "Paul McGuinness" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I need to receive calls that I would like to keep separate from my home
    > land line phone service - essentially receiving calls from clients for a
    > support service. Short of installing another land line, is VOIP a
    > reasonable alternative? Which would be the most suitable provider? I don't
    > anticipate making many calls out, though some certainly. Sorry I can't be
    > more specific.
    > Thanks for any feedback.
    > --
    > Paul McGuinness

    I use SipGate as a contact number for a residents association (I'm the
    chairman) but rarely turn the ATA on, so most calls come through as emailed
    voicemail. This is great as if I'm in at the time and on my PC I can call
    them back immediately - but it does also mean that I can do a quick bit of
    research on their question/problem before talking to them.

    I've also got another Sipgate number that I use for my business that always
    goes to voicemail.

    ....and it doesn't cost anything.

    Peter

    Peter Andrews, Nov 20, 2008
  5. Paul McGuinness

    Carl Waring Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > (www.sipgate.co.uk) have free geographic numbers in any area code of your
    > choice, no charge unless you make outgoing calls.

    This is interesting. So I could get a free local 01423 (my area code) number
    from them for incoming calls, whichI could then answer on my PC, while using
    another company for cheaper calls to my parent's Spanish Mobile number
    (whenever they're over there) again from my PC?

    Have I got that right?

    --
    Carl Waring
    DigiGuide:

    Carl Waring, Nov 20, 2008
  6. Paul McGuinness

    AJH Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:33:21 -0000, "Carl Waring"
    <> wrote:

    >> (www.sipgate.co.uk) have free geographic numbers in any area code of your
    >> choice, no charge unless you make outgoing calls.

    >This is interesting. So I could get a free local 01423 (my area code) number
    >from them for incoming calls, whichI could then answer on my PC, while using
    >another company for cheaper calls to my parent's Spanish Mobile number
    >(whenever they're over there) again from my PC?

    Tescointernetphone does the same. Expensive to use but you can buy the
    ata with minutes quite cheap.

    I'm having trouble replacing the ata with a sipura/linksys 3012 but if
    I get it working I should be able to receive calls to both numbers,
    with cli, to one phone and route out as I please.

    I think I've upset the 3012 as a factory reset by the voice
    interactive system has set the ip address to 0.0.0.0 and I cannot set
    it back to 192.168.1.1 to browse the web interface.

    AJH

    AJH, Nov 20, 2008
  7. Paul McGuinness

    Iain Guest

    Carl Waring wrote:
    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> (www.sipgate.co.uk) have free geographic numbers in any area code of your
    >> choice, no charge unless you make outgoing calls.

    > This is interesting. So I could get a free local 01423 (my area code) number
    > from them for incoming calls, whichI could then answer on my PC,

    Yes but it is horrid using a PC as a phone. Buy an ATA or an IP Phone.
    Well worth the money.

    > while using
    > another company for cheaper calls to my parent's Spanish Mobile number
    > (whenever they're over there) again from my PC?

    There are certainly cheaper VOIP tariffs. Usually the Betamax ones. But
    using both at the same time is a bit more hassle.

    Iain, Nov 20, 2008
  8. Paul McGuinness

    Carl Waring Guest

    "Iain" <> wrote in message
    > Carl Waring wrote:
    >> "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >>> (www.sipgate.co.uk) have free geographic numbers in any area code of
    >>> your choice, no charge unless you make outgoing calls.

    >> This is interesting. So I could get a free local 01423 (my area code)
    >> number from them for incoming calls, whichI could then answer on my PC,

    > Yes but it is horrid using a PC as a phone. Buy an ATA or an IP Phone.
    > Well worth the money.

    I'm sure it'll be okay. Any savings will be wiped-out buying extra kit :)

    Besides, I really only want to use the incoming calls for my radio show, so
    couldn't use a hand-set anyway.

    >> while using another company for cheaper calls to my parent's Spanish
    >> Mobile number (whenever they're over there) again from my PC?

    > There are certainly cheaper VOIP tariffs. Usually the Betamax ones. But
    > using both at the same time is a bit more hassle.

    Well it'll be okay for the short times I want to use it, I think.

    Okay.

    Carl Waring, Nov 20, 2008
  9. Paul McGuinness

    Carl Waring Guest

    "Iain" <> wrote in message
    > Carl Waring wrote:
    >> "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >>> (www.sipgate.co.uk) have free geographic numbers in any area code of
    >>> your choice, no charge unless you make outgoing calls.

    >> This is interesting. So I could get a free local 01423 (my area code)
    >> number from them for incoming calls, whichI could then answer on my PC,

    > Yes but it is horrid using a PC as a phone. Buy an ATA or an IP Phone.
    > Well worth the money.

    The point is that to talk to callers on the air, I'd /have/ to do it like
    that.

    Saves buying one of these, which are much more expensive than any ATA :)

    http://www.sonifex.co.uk/tbu/index.shtml
    http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/28-311.aspx

    >> while using another company for cheaper calls to my parent's Spanish
    >> Mobile number (whenever they're over there) again from my PC?

    > There are certainly cheaper VOIP tariffs. Usually the Betamax ones. But
    > using both at the same time is a bit more hassle.

    For what it will save me I think I could put up with it. Maybe.

    As I said, it's just an idea at this stage.

    Carl Waring, Nov 20, 2008
  10. Paul McGuinness

    Graham. Guest

    "Carl Waring" <> wrote in message
    > "Iain" <> wrote in message
    >> Carl Waring wrote:
    >>> "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> This is interesting. So I could get a free local 01423 (my area code)
    >>> number from them for incoming calls, whichI could then answer on my PC,

    >> Yes but it is horrid using a PC as a phone. Buy an ATA or an IP Phone.
    >> Well worth the money.

    > I'm sure it'll be okay. Any savings will be wiped-out buying extra kit :)
    >
    > Besides, I really only want to use the incoming calls for my radio show,
    > so couldn't use a hand-set anyway.

    Sounds intresting, is this a RSL or more mainstream?
    Will the phone audio be patched to the desk? How?
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 20, 2008
  11. Paul McGuinness

    Carl Waring Guest

    Graham. wrote:
    > "Carl Waring" <> wrote in message
    >> "Iain" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes but it is horrid using a PC as a phone. Buy an ATA or an IP
    >>> Phone. Well worth the money.

    >> I'm sure it'll be okay. Any savings will be wiped-out buying extra
    >> kit :) Besides, I really only want to use the incoming calls for my
    >> radio
    >> show, so couldn't use a hand-set anyway.

    > Sounds intresting, is this a RSL or more mainstream?
    > Will the phone audio be patched to the desk? How?

    Internet radio: www.reachonair.com

    (I'm on today - Friday - from 2pm)

    Basically, audio from "telephone" on one PC into mixer and out through
    another PC.

    Carl Waring, Nov 21, 2008
  12. Paul McGuinness

    Chris Davies Guest

    Carl Waring <> wrote:
    > This is interesting. So I could get a free local 01423 (my area code) number
    > from them for incoming calls, whichI could then answer on my PC, while using
    > another company for cheaper calls to my parent's Spanish Mobile number
    > (whenever they're over there) again from my PC?

    Yes. Absolutely. But don't bother considering using your PC for the VoIP
    endpoint. Get an ATA or a VoIP phone. Since we're both in 01423-land you
    might want to drop me a (private) email and maybe I can demonstrate VoIP
    to you before you take the plunge.

    Chris

    Chris Davies, Nov 21, 2008
  13. Paul McGuinness

    Carl Waring Guest

    Chris Davies wrote:
    > Carl Waring <> wrote:
    >> This is interesting. So I could get a free local 01423 (my area
    >> code) number from them for incoming calls, whichI could then answer
    >> on my PC, while using another company for cheaper calls to my
    >> parent's Spanish Mobile number (whenever they're over there) again
    >> from my PC?

    > Yes. Absolutely. But don't bother considering using your PC for the
    > VoIP endpoint. Get an ATA or a VoIP phone. Since we're both in
    > 01423-land you might want to drop me a (private) email and maybe I
    > can demonstrate VoIP to you before you take the plunge.
    >
    > Chris

    Thanks for the offer. Having had Vonage for a couple of months, I know have
    an idea how good VOIP could be, but I was on too slow and upload to make it
    work properly at the time.

    I have now upgraded to the next tier on VM so it should work fine.

    However, I am also on an "inclusive" phone-calls package so don't need VOIP
    for /most/ of my calls now.

    Also, having so pay for an ATA will negate any savings I might make using a
    VOIP provider for cheaper calls.

    Carl Waring, Nov 22, 2008