VOIP and TIVO

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Matt, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Does anyone have any experience of getting TIVO to dial out over
    asterisk, via the pstn connection to update its programme data.

    I have a wired extension from the lounge to the asterisk box, which
    then dials out over the bt pstn line.

    I used to have an xp100 clone connected to the pstn, but that gave a
    lot of crackle and echo.

    The sipura 3000 gives a much clearer connection, but the tivo will not
    dial out. It connects for about 80 seconds and then fails.

    If I plug the tivo directly to the pstn socket in the wall (not very
    convenient) it dials up ok.

    Hope someone has been here before.

    Thanks

    Matthew

    Matt, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Looks like I need to use the pstn passthrough function of the sipura
    3000.

    Can someone show me how to mod the dail plan to force all calls to
    08081050005 over the pstn?

    I've got..

    (<192:08000192190>|<118xxx:08000192190>|[2-79]11<:mad:gw0>|xx.|*xx.|**xx.|<#,:­>xx.<:mad:gw0>|<#,:>*xx<:mad:gw0>)

    I've tried to prefix the number being dialed with a #, but the call
    failed after 3 seconds!

    Many thanks

    Matthew

    Matt, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Matt

    Jono Guest

    Matt wrote:
    | Looks like I need to use the pstn passthrough function of the sipura
    | 3000.
    |
    | Can someone show me how to mod the dail plan to force all calls to
    | 08081050005 over the pstn?
    |
    | I've got..

    (<192:08000192190>|<118xxx:08000192190>|[2-79]11<:mad:gw0>|xx.|*xx.|**xx.|<#,:­>xx.<:mad:gw0>|<#,:>*xx<:mad:gw0>)

    | I've tried to prefix the number being dialed with a #, but the call
    | failed after 3 seconds!
    |
    | Many thanks
    |
    | Matthew

    Wouldn't you just need something like 08081050005<:mad:gw0> in the string?

    It's a while since I played with the dial plan..................

    Looking at the one you're using (as am I) it looks like [2-79]11 should be
    999 instead.

    Jono, Nov 22, 2005
  4. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Thanks, will give that a try!

    Matt

    Matt, Nov 22, 2005
  5. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Listening to the dialup process, the problem seems to be the double
    dialtone effect, whcih confuses the TIVO unit into thinking its
    connected and initiating the handshake.

    Matt, Nov 22, 2005
  6. Matt

    Jono Guest

    Matt wrote:
    || Listening to the dialup process, the problem seems to be the double
    || dialtone effect, whcih confuses the TIVO unit into thinking its
    || connected and initiating the handshake.

    Can you program the TIVO to prefix the call with a * or # ?

    Why can't you just hook it directly into the PSTN socket?

    Jono, Nov 22, 2005
  7. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Because it is downstairs and all the downstairs sockets are now
    connected to the AAH box. Might have to install a direct pstn
    extension for the box.

    Matt, Nov 22, 2005
  8. Matt

    Jono Guest

    Matt wrote:
    || Because it is downstairs and all the downstairs sockets are now
    || connected to the AAH box. Might have to install a direct pstn
    || extension for the box.

    Ahh. Thought there may be a good reason.

    Have you got a spare pair of wires in your existing extension? Save running
    a new cable.

    Jono, Nov 22, 2005
  9. Matt wrote:
    > Listening to the dialup process, the problem seems to be the double
    > dialtone effect, whcih confuses the TIVO unit into thinking its
    > connected and initiating the handshake.

    Stupid question on my part..
    but what is a TIVO ? I thought this was one of those personal
    TV recorder thingummies, and was a TM.

    I've heard the word used in relation to WLAN adaptors as well.

    Of course, you *could* use a TIVO PVR with these things, but is this what is
    really meant ?

    Richard [in PE12]

    Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III, Nov 22, 2005
  10. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Even better idea!

    Matt, Nov 22, 2005
  11. Matt

    Jono Guest

    "Matt" <> wrote in message
    > Even better idea!

    Does the Tivo have to update automatically?

    If you can perform manual updates, I would just power off the spa3k, which
    will cause phones connected to it to hear the pstn dialtone.

    Jono, Nov 23, 2005