    Are there any VoIP supplier out there that will allow a BT landline number
    to be ported over AND provide call diversion to other numbers including
    mobiles?
    Clueless2, Mar 28, 2006

  2. Clueless2 wrote:
    > Are there any VoIP supplier out there that will allow a BT landline number
    > to be ported over AND provide call diversion to other numbers including
    > mobiles?

    It depends what the BT land line number is (which area code it is).

    if you mail me privately () then I can check. If we
    can port it, then yes, we'll do the diversion.

    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Mar 28, 2006

  3. Clueless2

    Clueless2 Guest

    "Peter Gradwell" <> wrote in message
    > It depends what the BT land line number is (which area code it is).

    020xxxxxxxx
    Clueless2, Mar 28, 2006
  4. Clueless2 wrote:
    > "Peter Gradwell" <> wrote in message
    >> It depends what the BT land line number is (which area code it is).

    > 020xxxxxxxx

    http://www.gradwell.com/voip/portability_numbers.php

    It's basically London and its surrounding area, so you're in luck.
    Can't wait till it goes to a further range.
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 28, 2006
  5. Thomas Kenyon wrote:

    >>> It depends what the BT land line number is (which area code it is).

    >> 020xxxxxxxx
    >>

    > http://www.gradwell.com/voip/portability_numbers.php
    >
    > It's basically London and its surrounding area, so you're in luck.
    > Can't wait till it goes to a further range.

    Perhaps Peter could follow-up and indicate what needs to happen for him
    to add a given exchange? Perceived demand, exchange type, etc.?
    Colin Forrester, Mar 28, 2006
  6. Colin Forrester wrote:

    >>> 020xxxxxxxx
    >>>

    >> http://www.gradwell.com/voip/portability_numbers.php
    >>
    >> It's basically London and its surrounding area, so you're in luck.
    >> Can't wait till it goes to a further range.

    > Perhaps Peter could follow-up and indicate what needs to happen for him
    > to add a given exchange? Perceived demand, exchange type, etc.?

    IIRC it's a service offered by Magrathea, the reason why it's only local
    to London is that they take the cost of the transit of the call into
    their system from their profit margin. (which would cost more for longer
    distances).

    Or at least that's how I gathered it was. Apparently more exchanges may
    be added in time (I don't know anything more about this).

    I certainly hope they get here, I've got a BT number I need to park
    somewhere.
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 28, 2006
  7. Thomas Kenyon wrote:

    >>Perhaps Peter could follow-up and indicate what needs to happen for him
    >>to add a given exchange? Perceived demand, exchange type, etc.?

    > IIRC it's a service offered by Magrathea, the reason why it's only local
    > to London is that they take the cost of the transit of the call into
    > their system from their profit margin. (which would cost more for longer
    > distances).

    Magrathea and others.

    What needs to happen is BT need a jolly big kick up the arse, which I
    suppose could come as percieved demand.

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Mar 29, 2006
  8. Peter Gradwell wrote:
    > Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    >
    >>> Perhaps Peter could follow-up and indicate what needs to happen for him
    >>> to add a given exchange? Perceived demand, exchange type, etc.?

    >> IIRC it's a service offered by Magrathea, the reason why it's only local
    >> to London is that they take the cost of the transit of the call into
    >> their system from their profit margin. (which would cost more for longer
    >> distances).

    > Magrathea and others.
    >
    > What needs to happen is BT need a jolly big kick up the arse, which I
    > suppose could come as percieved demand.
    >
    > cheers
    > peter

    Since no-one is collating demand information, I wonder how they can be
    made to perceive it.
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 29, 2006
  9. Clueless2

    Linker3000 Guest

    Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    > Peter Gradwell wrote:

    >>> IIRC it's a service offered by Magrathea, the reason why it's only local
    >>> to London is that they take the cost of the transit of the call into
    >>> their system from their profit margin. (which would cost more for longer
    >>> distances).

    >> Magrathea and others.
    >>
    >> What needs to happen is BT need a jolly big kick up the arse, which I
    >> suppose could come as percieved demand.
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> peter
    >>

    > Since no-one is collating demand information, I wonder how they can be
    > made to perceive it.

    In my experience, you call them and they say 'well, no-one else has
    asked for that feature' - which means that the call centre operator to
    whom you are *currently* speaking has never heard of it and they'll be
    buggered if they are going to pass on your request.
    Linker3000, Mar 29, 2006
  10. Clueless2

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Peter Gradwell wrote:
    > Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    >
    >>> Perhaps Peter could follow-up and indicate what needs to happen for him
    >>> to add a given exchange? Perceived demand, exchange type, etc.?

    >> IIRC it's a service offered by Magrathea, the reason why it's only local
    >> to London is that they take the cost of the transit of the call into
    >> their system from their profit margin. (which would cost more for longer
    >> distances).

    > Magrathea and others.
    >
    > What needs to happen is BT need a jolly big kick up the arse,

    Why?

    The impression given above is that "Magrathea and others" can offer you
    GNP in non-London areas, but at a (greater) cost? Is this not correct?
    Paul Cupis, Mar 29, 2006
  11. Clueless2

    alexd Guest

    Thomas Kenyon wrote:

    > Peter Gradwell wrote:

    >>> IIRC it's a service offered by Magrathea, the reason why it's only local
    >>> to London is that they take the cost of the transit of the call into
    >>> their system from their profit margin. (which would cost more for longer
    >>> distances).

    Is that because BT charges it's Wholesale customers per-hop [or whatever you
    want to call each leg of a call]?

    >> Magrathea and others.
    >>
    >> What needs to happen is BT need a jolly big kick up the arse, which I
    >> suppose could come as percieved demand.

    > Since no-one is collating demand information, I wonder how they can be
    > made to perceive it.

    BT know about the demand out there [they aren't as daft as their front-line
    staff make them out to be]. Ofcom knows. Peter Gradwell knows. You probably
    knew before I wrote this. BT also know how many millions of circuits their
    customers will cease if 100% number portability was as easy as it should
    be.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:15:36 up 1 day, 36 min, 3 users, load average: 0.21, 0.28, 0.28
    alexd, Mar 31, 2006
  12. Clueless2

    Paul Cupis Guest

    alexd wrote:
    > Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    >> Peter Gradwell wrote:

    > Is that because BT charges it's Wholesale customers per-hop [or whatever you
    > want to call each leg of a call]?

    Basically, yes.
    Paul Cupis, Apr 2, 2006