Voip and IP Video Conferencing

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by jas0n, Nov 22, 2006.

  1. jas0n

    jas0n Guest

    Hi

    Does anyone have a pointer to a forum for ip video conferencing. We are
    looking to have some of our meetings that would normally take place by
    several members of staff travelling to another office 150 miles away,
    stay over, etc and move these regular meetings to a vide based
    conference over our existing wan.

    Both locations already have dedicated meeting rooms with over head
    projectors that are hooked up to laptops, connected to the network.

    There is currently a 2mb leased line in place - it is on an mpls network
    so can have qos applied and cisco switches are in place that will also
    provide qos. What sort of quality can be expected and can a 2mb link,
    which is likely to have max of 1.5mb assigned to it whilst a conference
    is in place, either that or it will need increasing as there is still a
    need for standard internet, email, wan traffic.

    Im only just starting to look into it so is it basically voip + a video
    package or something that handles both? Im about to start lots of
    reading on this so any pointers welcome.
    jas0n, Nov 22, 2006

  2. On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 23:15:41 -0000, jas0n <> wrote:

    >Im only just starting to look into it so is it basically voip + a video
    >package or something that handles both? Im about to start lots of
    >reading on this so any pointers welcome.

    I always wonder why people find the idea of looking at co-workers so
    attractive, just do it with a voice conference call :)

    But anyway, most video-conferencing kit I've seen works over 128k ISDN
    so bandwdth should not be your issue.

    If you want to look at a room full of people pay attention to the
    camera and to the sound pickup devices. Some use steerable cameras in
    the style of an online live porn show.

    http://www.polycom-uk.co.uk/pg.asp?ukvideoconferencing
    http://www.midlandcomms.co.uk/products-video-conferencing.php

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))
    Phil Thompson, Nov 23, 2006

  3. jas0n

    Tim Guest

    Phil Thompson wrote:

    > But anyway, most video-conferencing kit I've seen works over 128k ISDN
    > so bandwdth should not be your issue.

    You need more bandwidth on IP because of the IP overhead. 256K IP is
    only marginally better than 128K video.

    Tim
    Tim, Nov 23, 2006