VoIP all New to me Help required.

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by hatchertim@gmail.com, May 23, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi there

    I currently have the setup :

    Telewest 2 meg broadband connection
    Netgear FR114P router with print server that I use
    2 computers connected to the router
    Sipgate account
    X-lite softphone all set up and running

    The whole system is great.

    I now want to go one stage further and add a "real" handset that just
    "works" so that my wife can use it easily to test it out with the idea
    of ditching the regular phone line and standing charge that goes with
    it. This is where I need the help from people that have actually used
    the products on the market (please)

    I could go with the Grandstream BudgeTone 101 IP telephone for about
    £50 Is this a good route ? This will however leave me with a wired
    solution which will be seen as a step backwards as we have 1 fixed wire
    handset and dect cordless phones at the moment, are there any
    advantages however this would bring ?

    Next we get into the Analogue phone adapter/gateway/router world and
    now I really need help.

    I could go for the YGW10 or ATA-486 for around the £55 mark, are these
    good units ? could I then use my DECT handsets ? can I use an RJ11
    splitter and use both the fixed wire and DECT handsets ? and do they
    work well (well being no difference from using them on a "regular"
    line).

    Then we get to the ATA-488 this has an added FXO and FXS port, and we
    are up to £95 ish, what will this give me ?

    Finally as far as I can see for "sensible" money I could go for the
    draytek Vigor 2100 VG for £100 ish, this is a router, wireless to boot
    so that would solve another issue that I would sort out in time adding
    VOIP connectivity also (two birds and all that) How does this product
    compare, does it pass the, no difference to the normal telephone test ?
    can I connect the DECT handsets to it ? can I put a regular RJ11
    splitter in it and have one wired handset on my desk and the DECT
    wireless handsets to wander around the house.

    Finally with the last 2 can I use them in conjunction with my current
    router to utilise the printer port which currently is set up and
    working well.

    Money if obviously a factor here, but between all these products I am
    looking at "value for money" is the router "worth" it in terms of ease
    of use, extra functionality etc. (it obviously adds wireless which is a
    bonus). What I don't want to do is spend £50 now, the end up spending
    the £100 later as it does not quite do what I need it to, I am sure we
    have all done things like this in the past !?!

    Thanks in advance for all your help

    Tim.

    , May 23, 2005

  2. David Floyd Guest

    In message of Sun, 22 May 2005, writes
    >Hi there
    >
    >I currently have the setup :
    >
    >Telewest 2 meg broadband connection

    Sounds as though you're in the UK. Most of the posters in this group
    are in the USA.

    You might get a more local response if you post your query to:

    uk.telecom.voip

    DF

    David Floyd, May 23, 2005

  3. Guest

    Thanks for this, I have posted the request there also.

    Tim

    , May 23, 2005
  4. BlueRinse Guest

    > I now want to go one stage further and add a "real" handset that just
    > "works" so that my wife can use it easily to test it out with the idea of
    > ditching the regular phone line and standing charge that goes with it.

    I would not recommend depending on a voIP connection for emergencies,
    fire, accident etc. Even the services in packages from the phone companies
    (I'm in Eu) can go donw for hours and even a week.

    > I could go with the Grandstream BudgeTone 101 IP telephone for about
    > £50 Is this a good route ? This will however leave me with a wired
    > solution which will be seen as a step backwards as we have 1 fixed wire
    > handset and dect cordless phones at the moment, are there any advantages
    > however this would bring ?

    I have some BT102, they're fine for the money, but you answer your own
    question further down. Get an ATA and hook up your DECT to it.

    hth

    BlueRinse, May 24, 2005