voip adaptor question

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Tim Morley, May 11, 2005.

  1. Tim Morley

    Tim Morley Guest

    Tim Morley, May 11, 2005

  2. Tim Morley

    VoceSuIP.com Guest

    Take a look here http://www.sipura.com SPA-3000

    --
    http://www.vocesuip.com Forum sul VoIP - Appena Nato - (in Italiano)
    Aiutateci a fare crescere questo Forum
    VoceSuIP.com, May 12, 2005

  3. Tim Morley

    Tim Morley Guest

    "VoceSuIP.com" <> wrote in message
    > "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Does anybody do a voip adaptor that has a standard phoneline connection
    >> that will:
    >>
    >> 1) take incoming call via phone
    >> 2) make outgoing calls via 1899
    >> 3) drop onto outgoing on 1899 if voip down
    >> 4) make 999 calls via land line?

    > Take a look here http://www.sipura.com SPA-3000
    >
    > --
    > http://www.vocesuip.com Forum sul VoIP - Appena Nato - (in Italiano)
    > Aiutateci a fare crescere questo Forum

    Looks promising, but is there a uk version. Main question is it "invisible"
    to a user of a dect phone system connected to it. ie can you just call a
    local number with no local code (as with my orchid dialer at the moment).
    Would it fall back to POTS automatically etc. Anyone using one?
    Tim Morley, May 12, 2005
  4. Tim Morley

    Ivor Jones Guest

    > "VoceSuIP.com" <> wrote in message
    >> "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
    >> message news:y0wge.30216$...
    >>> Does anybody do a voip adaptor that has a standard phoneline
    >>> connection that will:
    >>>
    >>> 1) take incoming call via phone
    >>> 2) make outgoing calls via 1899
    >>> 3) drop onto outgoing on 1899 if voip down
    >>> 4) make 999 calls via land line?

    >> Take a look here http://www.sipura.com SPA-3000
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.vocesuip.com Forum sul VoIP - Appena Nato - (in Italiano)
    >> Aiutateci a fare crescere questo Forum
    >>

    > Looks promising, but is there a uk version. Main question is it
    > "invisible" to a user of a dect phone system connected to it. ie can you
    > just call a local number with no local code (as with my orchid dialer at
    > the moment). Would it fall back to POTS automatically etc. Anyone using
    > one?

    Not sure what you mean by "uk version"..? You just program it with the
    parameters required for your service provider. If you mean the power
    supply, then it would depend on which country you bought it in, I have a
    Sipura SPA-2000 bought in the US, it obviously came with a US plug on the
    supply, but it's universal voltage so an adaptor soon sorted that out.

    The number you dial depends on whether you're connected to a POTS line or
    the VoIP line. You could of course program all memories to dial the full
    code anyway, this isn't a problem on POTS lines.

    My 2000 doesn't have a POTS port so I have no experience of this, I don't
    need it on my system (VoIP "lines" fed into a PABX where they appear
    alongside the POTS lines).

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 12, 2005
  5. Tim Morley

    Martin² Guest

    Tim,
    you may want read my post under Draytek 2600V VoIP QoS.
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², May 12, 2005
  6. Tim Morley

    Stephane M Guest

    Have a look on :
    http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=LNKNA048
    QH

    The Linksys PAP2 seems to be OK !!

    Stephane M, May 12, 2005
  7. Tim Morley <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    > "VoceSuIP.com" <> wrote in message
    > > "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >> Does anybody do a voip adaptor that has a standard phoneline connection
    > >> that will:
    > >>
    > >> 1) take incoming call via phone
    > >> 2) make outgoing calls via 1899
    > >> 3) drop onto outgoing on 1899 if voip down
    > >> 4) make 999 calls via land line?

    > > Take a look here http://www.sipura.com SPA-3000
    > >

    > Looks promising, but is there a uk version. Main question is it "invisible"
    > to a user of a dect phone system connected to it. ie can you just call a
    > local number with no local code (as with my orchid dialer at the moment).
    > Would it fall back to POTS automatically etc. Anyone using one?

    I have one and use it in a vaguely similar way to your proposal (including
    stringing a DECT off it).

    It will certainly do 1,2,4.

    It has an automatic fallback to PSTN for outgoing calls if power is down, but
    not IIRC if VOIP is not responding.

    You can also set up a dial plan that would route 999/112/local calls via
    POTS.

    It's a very nice pice of kit, though programming it is somewhat reminiscent
    of writing pre-m4 sendmail configurations [that's unkind, but it is certainly
    quite a complex beast].

    The only problem I have with it is that I find the combination with the
    particular DECT I am using leads to a slightly noisy line. I probably haven't
    quite got the UK localisation right though - this is probably the most complex
    single thing to get correct.

    --
    Thomas Sandford | ${thomas/03$}@paradisegreen.co.uk
    Paradise Green Technical Services: S'ware/Hw design and Theatre Tech. Services
    Thomas Sandford, May 12, 2005
  8. Tim Morley

    Martin² Guest

    Stephane M:

    >The Linksys PAP2 seems to be OK !!

    Certainly cheaper then Sipura, though it doesn't appear to allow multiple
    registrars.
    The trouble with ATA's they can't do pass-trough to PSTN line, so too many
    phone, too much wiring, another power adapter...
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², May 13, 2005
  9. Tim Morley

    VoceSuIP.com Guest

    "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    > Stephane M:
    >
    >>The Linksys PAP2 seems to be OK !!

    > Certainly cheaper then Sipura, though it doesn't appear to allow multiple
    > registrars.
    > The trouble with ATA's they can't do pass-trough to PSTN line, so too many
    > phone, too much wiring, another power adapter...

    Fritz!Box Fon till 10 registration

    VoceSuIP.com, May 13, 2005
  10. Tim Morley

    Tim Morley Guest

    > Does anybody do a voip adaptor that has a standard phoneline connection
    > that will:
    >
    > 1) take incoming call via phone
    > 2) make outgoing calls via 1899
    > 3) drop onto outgoing on 1899 if voip down
    > 4) make 999 calls via land line?
    >
    > TIA

    > Get a free IPod Mini
    > http://www.freeipoduk.co.uk/index.php?REFID=78563
    >
    > Get paid for consumer surveys with SAROS
    > http://www.sarosresearch.com/sarosform_referrals.asp?id=51011

    Thanks for the input so far. How about this one:

    http://www.grandstream.com/y-ht488.htm

    I have looked at the FAQ below (the ht488 has the FXO bit) but I am still
    unclear as to if an incoming call via standard phone line will ring the
    "phone" plugged into the adaptor. I think it will, but not 100% sure !
    I assume no probs with using 1899 voip?
    Also will it pass through caller id to my siemens dect phone system?

    16. What is the difference between FXO and PSTN Pass-Through ports?

    PSTN Pass through port:
    What it can do:
    - Local manual switching between PSTN and IP mode on a per call basis.
    - User can switch to PSTN line by pressing *00 (or the configured
    strings) for each call before they are placed. The device will revert back
    to the default IP mode once the phone is hung up.
    - It can allow a PSTN call to ring/call the phone connected to the FXS
    port.
    - It also serves as a life line in case of power outage.
    What it CANNOT do:
    - Terminate a VoIP call into the PSTN port
    - Allow a call from PSTN to route other VoIP devices (different from
    the FXS phone) over the IP network
    - Automatically route calls made by the local user to PSTN line

    Note: On the HT-486 Rev 1.0, the PSTN port is only a life line port
    that switches to PTSN only on loss of power.

    FXO port:
    It can support all the functions of a PSTN pass through plus:
    - Terminate a VoIP call into the PSTN port
    - Allow a PSTN call to call either the FXS phone or other VoIP devices
    over the IP network
    - Route call automatically and transparently to PSTN line according to
    user configuration
    Tim Morley, May 13, 2005
  11. Tim Morley

    Tim Morley Guest

    > "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Does anybody do a voip adaptor that has a standard phoneline connection
    >> that will:
    >>
    >> 1) take incoming call via phone
    >> 2) make outgoing calls via 1899
    >> 3) drop onto outgoing on 1899 if voip down
    >> 4) make 999 calls via land line?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> --

    >> Get a free IPod Mini
    >> http://www.freeipoduk.co.uk/index.php?REFID=78563
    >>
    >> Get paid for consumer surveys with SAROS
    >> http://www.sarosresearch.com/sarosform_referrals.asp?id=51011
    >>

    > Thanks for the input so far. How about this one:
    >

    > http://www.grandstream.com/y-ht488.htm
    >

    > I have looked at the FAQ below (the ht488 has the FXO bit) but I am still
    > unclear as to if an incoming call via standard phone line will ring the
    > "phone" plugged into the adaptor. I think it will, but not 100% sure !
    > I assume no probs with using 1899 voip?
    > Also will it pass through caller id to my siemens dect phone system?
    >

    > 16. What is the difference between FXO and PSTN Pass-Through ports?
    >
    > PSTN Pass through port:
    > What it can do:
    > - Local manual switching between PSTN and IP mode on a per call
    > basis.
    > - User can switch to PSTN line by pressing *00 (or the configured
    > strings) for each call before they are placed. The device will revert back
    > to the default IP mode once the phone is hung up.
    > - It can allow a PSTN call to ring/call the phone connected to the
    > FXS port.
    > - It also serves as a life line in case of power outage.
    > What it CANNOT do:
    > - Terminate a VoIP call into the PSTN port
    > - Allow a call from PSTN to route other VoIP devices (different from
    > the FXS phone) over the IP network
    > - Automatically route calls made by the local user to PSTN line
    >
    > Note: On the HT-486 Rev 1.0, the PSTN port is only a life line port
    > that switches to PTSN only on loss of power.
    >
    > FXO port:
    > It can support all the functions of a PSTN pass through plus:
    > - Terminate a VoIP call into the PSTN port
    > - Allow a PSTN call to call either the FXS phone or other VoIP
    > devices over the IP network
    > - Route call automatically and transparently to PSTN line according
    > to user configuration

    Or this one?

    http://www.myphonecall.co.uk/voip/routers/draytek/DrayTek_Vigor_2500V.aspx
    Tim Morley, May 13, 2005
  12. Tim Morley

    Martin² Guest

    Yes, the Vigor 2500V (and 2100VG) has VoIP phone pass-trough to PSTN line,
    so it will do what you want, but you will need to manually select the POTS
    line when needed.
    Note that the 2600V does NOT have the pass-trough ability :-(
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², May 14, 2005
  13. Tim Morley

    Tim Morley Guest

    "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, the Vigor 2500V (and 2100VG) has VoIP phone pass-trough to PSTN
    > line,
    > so it will do what you want, but you will need to manually select the POTS
    > line when needed.
    > Note that the 2600V does NOT have the pass-trough ability :-(
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    Hmm I need it totally transparent. Can you program up like an orchid?
    Tim Morley, May 14, 2005
  14. Tim Morley

    Martin² Guest

    Tim Morley:
    >Hmm I need it totally transparent. Can you program up like an orchid?

    I don't think so, BUT I don't think there is no reason why you couldn't put
    and Orchid box between your analog phone and the ATA (or router VoIP port).
    Anybody tried that ?
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², May 16, 2005
  15. Tim Morley

    Tim Morley Guest

    "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    > Tim Morley:
    >>Hmm I need it totally transparent. Can you program up like an orchid?

    > I don't think so, BUT I don't think there is no reason why you couldn't
    > put and Orchid box between your analog phone and the ATA (or router VoIP
    > port).
    > Anybody tried that ?
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    Funny you should say that! I was thinking about it!
    But then I started thinking what advantage?
    Tim Morley, May 16, 2005
  16. Tim Morley

    Marc H.Popek Guest

    The device you seek is right here>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5776892519&rd=1&sspagenam
    e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

    excerpt from web site..

    COMBINE-A-LINE .. Imagine..1=2

    Ever wish you could use your favorite single-line telephone, answering
    machine, caller ID or PC Modem on TWO phone lines?.. Automatically?

    OR

    How about joining your VOIP port and the plain old (PSTN) telephone jack
    into a single handset?

    OR

    USE a CLT to join a card card acceptor and your single line telephone as
    well!

    OR

    see if anybody picks-up, on anotheer line trunk, after you are already in a
    telco call???

    THEN...........................................

    Combine-A-Line (CLT) allows two separate calls from two different lines to
    be directed to your single line telephone equipment or PC. Centralizing and
    PROTECTING (SURGE PROTECTION INSIDE) your communication equipment for your
    home office or for the family.

    Combine-A-Line supports all services from your telephone company including
    Caller ID. It also has two line surge protectors to make sure that you are
    Protecting your equipment.

    Use combine-aline to automatically switch between VOIP and pots (rboc) plain
    local line, hands free!.

    SECURITY of your calls are enhanced because the CLT displays if anybody
    picks -up the line after you are in a call! So, it has security features
    just in case someone is wire tapping or listens in after you are in a call.
    The LED display will indicate any disruption to the line.

    Easy to use, No batteries or power supply, and no programming needed! Our
    re-sellers have reported that ..."elimination of the noisy and cumbersome
    power supply wires, reduces the Hum & Noise one hears then when connected
    to household power supplies"

    Automate and organize your telecommunications equipment and desktop wires
    with Combine-A-Line.

    USE BUY NOW and get FREE SHIPPING OPTION

    Marc H.Popek, May 25, 2005