    Also, in case Google (or Yahoo) ever offers a 'phone out' service,
    does GoogleTalk currently use a non-standard protocol?

    , Aug 29, 2006

  2. Graham Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Im looking for an adapter to use with my regular phone (preferably an
    > adapter that plugs in directly to the network without having to be
    > plugged into the computer) but one that supports both standards (skype
    > and sip). Does such a product exist???
    >
    > Since the provider's rates are different based on where you are calling
    > to, do these adapters allow you to have more than one SIP provider at a
    > time?
    >
    > Also, in case Google (or Yahoo) ever offers a 'phone out' service,
    > does GoogleTalk currently use a non-standard protocol?

    Read the thread entitled "which ATA" in this group, started 26/8/06.

    I noticed you are posting via Google Groups, don't you have access to
    a proper NNTP server and newsreader?
    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Aug 30, 2006

  3. Hana Guest

    Hi Graham,
    I'm also posting through Google groups, what do you mean by a ''proper
    NNTP server and newsreader'', is there a better way?
    Thanks
    Hana

    Hana, Aug 30, 2006
  4. Brian A Guest

    On 30 Aug 2006 01:13:15 -0700, "Hana" <> wrote:

    >Hi Graham,
    >I'm also posting through Google groups, what do you mean by a ''proper
    >NNTP server and newsreader'', is there a better way?
    >Thanks
    >Hana
    >
    >Graham wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Read the thread entitled "which ATA" in this group, started 26/8/06.
    >>
    >> I noticed you are posting via Google Groups, don't you have access to
    >> a proper NNTP server and newsreader?

    Yes. You can see all the various newsgroups that your ISP permits on
    desktop newsreading software.
    I don't know about Microsoft stuff because I have never used it.
    I use Agent. Unfortunately it is no longer free.
    If, like me you use Firefox, then you might also use the Thunderbird
    email client. Afaik it can also do usenet - it is free and open
    source.
    Check out

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Aug 30, 2006
  5. Graham Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On 30 Aug 2006 01:13:15 -0700, "Hana" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Graham,
    >>I'm also posting through Google groups, what do you mean by a ''proper
    >>NNTP server and newsreader'', is there a better way?
    >>Thanks
    >>Hana
    >>
    >>Graham wrote:
    >>> <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Read the thread entitled "which ATA" in this group, started 26/8/06.
    >>>
    >>> I noticed you are posting via Google Groups, don't you have access to
    >>> a proper NNTP server and newsreader?

    > Yes. You can see all the various newsgroups that your ISP permits on
    > desktop newsreading software.
    > I don't know about Microsoft stuff because I have never used it.
    > I use Agent. Unfortunately it is no longer free.
    > If, like me you use Firefox, then you might also use the Thunderbird
    > email client. Afaik it can also do usenet - it is free and open
    > source.
    > Check out
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

    What Brian "claims" he is unaware of, is that Outlook Express is a
    Newsreader. Much maligned by the Usenet elite, but infinitely better
    than Google Groups for reading and contributing to active threads.

    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Aug 30, 2006
  6. Hana Guest

    I use Outlook for my emails, does this also act as a newsreader?

    Are there any other free good ones?

    Thank

    Hana, Aug 30, 2006
  7. Ivor Jones Guest

    "Hana" <> wrote in message
    > I use Outlook for my emails, does this also act as a
    > newsreader?
    >
    > Are there any other free good ones?

    There is a difference between Outlook and Outlook Express. Outlook does
    not have a news client whereas OE does.

    BTW it would be appreciated if you would not top post, many thanks.
    Snip/trim and post at the bottom as I have done is the generally accepted
    way in most groups.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 30, 2006
  8. Guest

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:39:53 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Hana" <> wrote in message
    >> I use Outlook for my emails, does this also act as a
    >> newsreader?
    >>
    >> Are there any other free good ones?

    >There is a difference between Outlook and Outlook Express. Outlook does
    >not have a news client whereas OE does.
    >
    >BTW it would be appreciated if you would not top post, many thanks.
    >Snip/trim and post at the bottom as I have done is the generally accepted
    >way in most groups.

    I do not like top posting Ivor but I do not rant and rave at people
    who do top post like you continually do .

    , Aug 30, 2006
  9. Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:39:53 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > "Hana" <> wrote in message
    > > > I use Outlook for my emails, does this also act as a
    > > > newsreader?
    > > >
    > > > Are there any other free good ones?

    > > There is a difference between Outlook and Outlook
    > > Express. Outlook does not have a news client whereas OE
    > > does.
    > >
    > > BTW it would be appreciated if you would not top post,
    > > many thanks. Snip/trim and post at the bottom as I have
    > > done is the generally accepted way in most groups.

    > I do not like top posting Ivor but I do not rant and rave
    > at people who do top post like you continually do .

    Not continually, only when necessary. BTW how was what I said ranting and
    raving..?

    Anyway, the words pot, kettle and black spring to mind when thinking of
    ranting/raving and you.

    Back in your box, Ron.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 30, 2006
  10. Guest

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:35:50 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Anyway, the words pot, kettle and black spring to mind when thinking of
    >ranting/raving and you.

    One needs to rant and rave when it comes to a certain FOREIGN service
    provider .

    , Aug 30, 2006
  11. Hana Guest

    Sorry for an off topic question, but I've downloaded Agent newsreader
    to try it and it asks for the name of the news server, I entered
    uk.telecom.voip but that doesn't work. ( Yes, I know it's a stupid
    question ) but what name do I put down for the server for this
    newsgroup?
    Thanks
    Ivor: Sorry for top posting, I didn't know the right way to post in
    these groups, hopefully I'll get it right from now on.

    Hana, Aug 30, 2006
  12. Graham Guest

    > Sorry for an off topic question, but I've downloaded Agent newsreader
    > to try it and it asks for the name of the news server, I entered
    > uk.telecom.voip but that doesn't work. ( Yes, I know it's a stupid
    > question ) but what name do I put down for the server for this
    > newsgroup?
    > Thanks

    I think your ISP is BT Openworld or BT Internet so you probably have access

    news.btinternet.com

    Try that as the server name and you should be able to download a list
    of thousands of groups, and you can select the ones that you want to
    "subscribe" to.
    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Aug 30, 2006
  13. Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:35:50 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > Anyway, the words pot, kettle and black spring to mind
    > > when thinking of ranting/raving and you.

    > One needs to rant and rave when it comes to a certain
    > FOREIGN service provider .

    Ah, you never let us down, do you Ron..?!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 30, 2006
  14. Hana Guest

    Ivor: I have one question for you about the Fritzbox.
    Is it possible to use the Fritzbox Fon ata using an existing router and
    ADSL modem ?

    Thanks

    Hana, Aug 30, 2006
  15. Ivor Jones Guest

    "Hana" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor: I have one question for you about the Fritzbox.
    > Is it possible to use the Fritzbox Fon ata using an
    > existing router and ADSL modem ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Assuming you are talking about the plain ATA, yes. Most models have a
    built in ADSL modem and router, which although they can be disabled, does
    make it rather pointless..!

    Be aware though that you won't get QoS (Quality of Service) with an ATA
    into a separate router. This could have an impact on call quality if a
    heavy download or similar is taking place at the same time.

    My advice is to go for the all-in-one device, you can always do what I did
    and keep your existing modem/router as a spare in case of failure.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 30, 2006
  16. Brian A Guest

    On 30 Aug 2006 08:51:04 -0700, "Hana" <> wrote:

    >I use Outlook for my emails, does this also act as a newsreader?
    >
    >Are there any other free good ones?

    Yes, as in my previous post...
    Here is the download page for Thunderbird and other Mozilla products.
    http://www.mozilla.org/download.html
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Aug 31, 2006
  17. paul123 Guest

    Brian A wrote:
    > On 30 Aug 2006 08:51:04 -0700, "Hana" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I use Outlook for my emails, does this also act as a newsreader?
    > >
    > >Are there any other free good ones?

    > Yes, as in my previous post...
    > Here is the download page for Thunderbird and other Mozilla products.
    > http://www.mozilla.org/download.html

    The Opera browser has a newsreader. It's also free.
    www.opera.com

    paul123, Aug 31, 2006
  18. alexd Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > Be aware though that you won't get QoS (Quality of Service) with an ATA
    > into a separate router. This could have an impact on call quality if a
    > heavy download or similar is taking place at the same time.

    If your separate router has configurable QoS, then you will.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    17:33:49 up 5 days, 1:38, 2 users, load average: 1.62, 1.00, 0.85

    alexd, Aug 31, 2006
  19. Ivor Jones Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > Be aware though that you won't get QoS (Quality of
    > > Service) with an ATA into a separate router. This could
    > > have an impact on call quality if a heavy download or
    > > similar is taking place at the same time.

    > If your separate router has configurable QoS, then you
    > will.

    True enough, but the majority don't.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 1, 2006