    umlimited monthly and free incoming.

    Thanks,
    Dan Foxley
    Dan Foxley, Aug 6, 2005

  2. On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:48:52 -0700, Dan Foxley wrote:

    > Is it possible to take my existing phone # (which I've had a long time)
    > and have a VOIP provider hold it and just forward my calls to a cellular
    > #?

    Sure I'm doing just thak in our scout-group. We have a number of
    voip-numbers to our key-persons, but none of them have voip-phones, so
    calls are forwarded to their regular phones.

    I'm located in Denmark, and using www.musimi.dk. I don't have any
    expirience with non european providers.

    > My intention is saving money but keeping my home #, since the cellular
    > is umlimited monthly and free incoming.

    I expect that you still have to pay the the forwarding fee. You might
    also be able to get a flatrate Voip-account so that will be a fixed
    account

    But looking on the bare posibility to forward a call: It's no problem.

    /Henning
    Henning Wangerin, Aug 6, 2005

  3. Dan Foxley

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Dan Foxley wrote:
    > Is it possible to take my existing phone # (which I've had a long time) and
    > have a VOIP provider hold it and just forward my calls to a cellular #? My
    > intention is saving money but keeping my home #, since the cellular is
    > umlimited monthly and free incoming.

    One can port "existing home" phone to CallVantage, which then lets you
    control forwarding to your "cellular" phone. However, you would then
    have to pay the CallVantage bill as well as your cellular bill. Note
    that CallVantage has unlimited long distance and unlimited local calls.

    p.s. I do not work for CallVantage :)
    Rick Merrill, Aug 6, 2005
  4. Dan Foxley

    Dan Foxley Guest

    I can get the phone company to give me dial tone & call forwarding for about
    $15-20 US per month. I was hoping to get much cheaper by paying a VOIP
    provider to "park" my home phone # and do Call Forwarding only to my Cell.
    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,
    Dan Foxley

    Dan Foxley, Aug 6, 2005
  5. Dan Foxley

    Wizzzer Guest

    Why not just port your home number to your cellphone and get rid of the
    extra step? I have Packet8 ($19.95/mo., excellent). I have it transfer to
    my cell if I don't answer after 6 rings. I really like the service and
    enjoy all the extra services SBC was charging me for free, call forwarding,
    caller ID, call waiting, caller ID blocking, 3 way, etc. I disconnected the
    outside SBC connection and plugged the DTA into a socket and now use every
    jack in the house with my existing phones, free anytime, anywhere for
    $19.95. I found that I was using my Cingular cell so little, that I
    cancelled it and got a pay as you go Tracfone. That was in Feb, I'm still
    working on my free minutes, good thru Nov, by playing the specials and
    referrals. Cheers, Wizzzer

    Wizzzer, Aug 7, 2005
  6. Dan Foxley

    Kyler Laird Guest

    "Dan Foxley" <danfatnospamnethere.com> writes:

    >Is it possible to take my existing phone # (which I've had a long time) and
    >have a VOIP provider hold it and just forward my calls to a cellular #?

    Yes. The latest VoIP provider I've used, Teliax,
    http://teliax.com/
    provides "follow me" service. You can set a PSTN number for it to call
    along with a time to wait before invoking "follow me".

    >My
    >intention is saving money but keeping my home #, since the cellular is
    >umlimited monthly and free incoming.

    Good VoIP operators don't have local numbers here where our old home phone
    is. I've been looking for a solution for a long time. I'm just using
    regular call forwarding right now (to exercise the system, not to save any
    money, although it does give me CallerID). I forward to a toll-free VoIP
    account.

    Eventually I might use remote call forwarding (RCF) to keep my number but
    eliminate much of the monthly cost. RCF (here) is a bit cheaper than a
    regular line and it also eliminates a bunch of the taxes/fees.

    --kyler
    Kyler Laird, Aug 7, 2005