    phone, but that's not what I'm asking. ;)

    Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott Moseman, Sep 28, 2006

  2. "Scott Moseman" <> wrote in message
    news:iDVSg.1252$...
    > Assume I've got a landline phone at my home. Is there any software that I
    > can setup on my home server that would allow me to use an IP phone to
    > register with my home server and place calls using my landline? Would
    > this require something as complex as an actual IP PBX platform? Yes, I
    > know you can order Vonage (or similar) service and get a wifi enabled
    > phone, but that's not what I'm asking. ;)

    Asterisk can easily do that, coupled to an ATA with an FXO port such as the
    Linksys SPA-3102 to interface the telephone line (the existing phone can be
    kept operational by connecting it to the SPA-3102's FXS port).

    Enzo
    Enzo Michelangeli, Sep 29, 2006

  3. Scott Moseman

    Gopi Guest

    Gopi, Sep 29, 2006
  4. Scott Moseman

    Jono Guest

    Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
    > "Scott Moseman" <> wrote in message
    >> Assume I've got a landline phone at my home. Is there any software
    >> that I can setup on my home server that would allow me to use an IP
    >> phone to register with my home server and place calls using my
    >> landline? Would this require something as complex as an actual IP
    >> PBX platform? Yes, I know you can order Vonage (or similar) service
    >> and get a wifi enabled phone, but that's not what I'm asking. ;)

    > Asterisk can easily do that, coupled to an ATA with an FXO port such
    > as the Linksys SPA-3102 to interface the telephone line (the existing
    > phone can be kept operational by connecting it to the SPA-3102's FXS
    > port).

    The SPA-3102 can do that on its own. Easier if your IP phone & your SPA are
    connected to the same VoIPSP
    Jono, Sep 29, 2006
  5. Scott Moseman

    Gopi Guest

    Gopi, Sep 29, 2006
  6. "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
    >> "Scott Moseman" <> wrote in message
    >>> Assume I've got a landline phone at my home. Is there any software
    >>> that I can setup on my home server that would allow me to use an IP
    >>> phone to register with my home server and place calls using my
    >>> landline? Would this require something as complex as an actual IP
    >>> PBX platform? Yes, I know you can order Vonage (or similar) service
    >>> and get a wifi enabled phone, but that's not what I'm asking. ;)

    >> Asterisk can easily do that, coupled to an ATA with an FXO port such
    >> as the Linksys SPA-3102 to interface the telephone line (the existing
    >> phone can be kept operational by connecting it to the SPA-3102's FXS
    >> port).

    > The SPA-3102 can do that on its own. Easier if your IP phone & your SPA
    > are connected to the same VoIPSP

    Yes, but authenticating the user to prevent calls to the PSTN by other
    unauthorized VoIP callers may prove tricky: the caller ID may be faked, PIN
    authentication is inconvenient and not so reliable (especially if the VoIPSP
    only support inband DTMF), and HTTP Digest Authentication may also fail
    depending on the VoIPSP's proxy.

    Enzo
    Enzo Michelangeli, Sep 30, 2006
  7. Scott Moseman

    Jono Guest

    Enzo Michelangeli wrote:

    >>> Asterisk can easily do that, coupled to an ATA with an FXO port such
    >>> as the Linksys SPA-3102 to interface the telephone line (the
    >>> existing phone can be kept operational by connecting it to the
    >>> SPA-3102's FXS port).

    >> The SPA-3102 can do that on its own. Easier if your IP phone & your
    >> SPA are connected to the same VoIPSP

    > Yes, but authenticating the user to prevent calls to the PSTN by other
    > unauthorized VoIP callers may prove tricky: the caller ID may be
    > faked, PIN authentication is inconvenient and not so reliable
    > (especially if the VoIPSP only support inband DTMF), and HTTP Digest
    > Authentication may also fail depending on the VoIPSP's proxy.

    How much more secure would Asterisk be, unless callback was employed? I can
    only think of two methods of authentication - by CLID or PIN (Three if you
    count both)
    Jono, Sep 30, 2006
  8. "Jono" <> wrote in message
    [...]
    >>> The SPA-3102 can do that on its own. Easier if your IP phone & your
    >>> SPA are connected to the same VoIPSP

    >> Yes, but authenticating the user to prevent calls to the PSTN by other
    >> unauthorized VoIP callers may prove tricky: the caller ID may be
    >> faked, PIN authentication is inconvenient and not so reliable
    >> (especially if the VoIPSP only support inband DTMF), and HTTP Digest
    >> Authentication may also fail depending on the VoIPSP's proxy.

    > How much more secure would Asterisk be, unless callback was employed? I
    > can only think of two methods of authentication - by CLID or PIN (Three if
    > you count both)

    You can use SIP's "HTTP Authentication" (also called "WWW authentication":
    see Section 22 of http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3261.txt). In practice, with
    Asterisk you create for your SIP phone (softphone in this case) a
    "type=user" or (if you want it to receive calls as well as placing them)
    "type=friend" entry in sip.conf, and associate it to a context in
    extensions.conf that is not accessible by any unauthenticated device:

    [mysoftphone]
    context=candialout
    type=friend
    host=dynamic
    secret=sphsecret

    Of course, you'll have to define an entry also for the "Line1" section of
    the SPA-3102, which, if you are only interested in placing outgoing calls,
    might be:

    [spa3102l1]
    type=peer
    host=dynamic
    secret=spa3102secret

    Then, you place in extensions.conf:

    [candialout]
    exten => _X.,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@spa3102l1)
    exten => _X.,2,Hangup

    ....and also configure:
    - the SPA-3102 to register as user: spa3102l1, password: spa3102secret
    - the softphone to register as user: mysoftphone, password: sphsecret

    Now, any incoming call claiming to come from the user "mysoftphone" (with a
    SIP header "From: mysoftphone@...") will be challenged by Asterisk to
    authenticate (with HTTP Digest Authentication). Only devices that do it with
    the password "sphsecret" will trigger the context [candialout] and the
    execution of the Dial() command; any other will be rejected.

    Enzo
    Enzo Michelangeli, Oct 1, 2006
  9. Scott Moseman

    Guest

    I played with Skype for a while, and the D-Link DPH-50U adapter allows
    for that I think, but I never tried it.

    Thanks,

    Thomas
    http://www.betterphone.org

    Scott Moseman wrote:
    > Assume I've got a landline phone at my home. Is there any software that
    > I can setup on my home server that would allow me to use an IP phone to
    > register with my home server and place calls using my landline? Would
    > this require something as complex as an actual IP PBX platform? Yes, I
    > know you can order Vonage (or similar) service and get a wifi enabled
    > phone, but that's not what I'm asking. ;)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Scott
    , Oct 3, 2006
  10. For the record, I got this working with Asterisk. I'm able to use a SIP
    phone from any Internet capable location to connect to my home Asterisk
    PBX and make calls that go out *from* my landline. Very cool. My only
    cost was a $15 card to interface my server with the POTS line.

    Thanks,
    Scott

    Scott Moseman, Oct 5, 2006
  11. Scott Moseman