    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Aug 7, 2011

  2. Graham.

    Roy Brown Guest

    In message <j1mv5r$r0u$-september.org>,
    Graham. <> writing at 22:13:24 in his/her local time
    opines:-

    >http://articles.boston.com/2011-08-06/business/29859196_1_voice-mail-pas
    >sword-at-t-users

    >This is the first suggestion I have seen in "print" that the News
    >Corporation voicemail interceptions were achieved by primarily by CLI
    >spoofing and not default PIN or brute force, just as I have been
    >suggesting for a while now. Easy to do with VoIP

    You may very well be right that NC used CLI spoofing, but I see nothing
    in the linked article to suggest such a conclusion.

    Unless we are supposed to read between the lines for something that
    boston.com know, but cannot prove, and so cannot say openly.

    But that might be a bit of a stretch....

    >So when can we expect equivalent action from our mobile networks?

    AIUI, the phones that were hacked were unprotected, or PIN-protected by
    the provider's default PIN, or some other easily guessable number.

    So while insisting on a password will help, the networks need to force
    the user to change the PIN in the initial setup of the phone.

    And possibly, until this is done, to warn callers intending to leave a
    voicemail that this will be potentially insecure.
    --
    Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris
    Roy Brown, Aug 8, 2011

  3. Graham.

    Deux Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_disclosure